Are we there yet? - 500 Lms hi on 1 battery 4 hours runtime. No heat...

TEEJ

Flashaholic
At least if the FLASHLIGHT is hot, it means its radiating heat..IE: Shedding the heat/keeping the guts cooler.

Part of the confusion about LEDs and heat, is that the heat is not being projected out the front the way it is with an incan....most of the heat is behind the LED for example. So it IS sending heat out with the beam, but, proportionally, much less than an incan would, etc.

As the science progresses, a series of incremental break throughs will, typically, lead to other break throughs. Someone will come up with a circuit, and some one else will realize that using that new type of circuit will allow him to do xyz...a prior bottleneck, etc. These things add up, and then, someone puts it all together and the industry surges ahead.

Rinse/Repeat.

:D

So, sure, efficiency will continue to go up, and, the more efficient, the more power is turned into photons, and the less into heat...solving that issue.

The solution may even turn out to be a complete change in the way the light is generated...or, in the way the cells store the energy, etc.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
We're there now. My Nitecore EC2 (1x18650) will put out ~250 lumens (high, not turbo and output measured with a lux meter and bouncing off the ceiling, comparing lux with HDS Clicky at a calibrated 170 lumens) for almost 4 hours.

It draws 0.780A @ 250lm, and I have 3100mAh batteries. With 3400mAh you'd make 4 hours. It gets warm but never gets any hotter than noticeably warmer than ambient temperature (I am guessing ~85-90 degrees F with it just standing there, holding it, it just doesn't seem to get warmer than my hand).

So, no, you are not demanding... :)

ThumperACC

You probably missed my last post... I want 4 hours @ ~200+ lumens with an RCR123. I am very satisfied with most current 18650 lights, but I personally find those a bit too big for EDC.

At least if the FLASHLIGHT is hot, it means its radiating heat..IE: Shedding the heat/keeping the guts cooler.

Part of the confusion about LEDs and heat, is that the heat is not being projected out the front the way it is with an incan....most of the heat is behind the LED for example. So it IS sending heat out with the beam, but, proportionally, much less than an incan would, etc.

As the science progresses, a series of incremental break throughs will, typically, lead to other break throughs. Someone will come up with a circuit, and some one else will realize that using that new type of circuit will allow him to do xyz...a prior bottleneck, etc. These things add up, and then, someone puts it all together and the industry surges ahead.

Rinse/Repeat.

:D

So, sure, efficiency will continue to go up, and, the more efficient, the more power is turned into photons, and the less into heat...solving that issue.

The solution may even turn out to be a complete change in the way the light is generated...or, in the way the cells store the energy, etc.

Excellent points there. Most people ignore that having a lot of current travel through a thin wire (or thin circuits) generates a lot of heat. The more current lights demand, the more heat you will get no matter how efficient your LED is. But, if someone invented a new source that does not need as much current for the same output, we could theorically have only the heat generated by the photons, which is not really that much when you don't emit in the infra-red spectrum; a lot of the heat generated by incans comes from the infra-red that is produced, the rest comes mostly from the current heating up the thin filament. Who knows, maybe LED's could become efficient enough to give us similar output with very little current, but it does seem there is a much needed breakthrough needed to achieve this.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must be missing something. Other than max output apparently running longer, the SC600 destroys it in every aspect with the possibility of the E50 only winning in the throw dept.

Well .... I just said it was a fantastic light. I didn't compare it to others. But it's a very different light though in my opinion from something like that zebralight. It's a 2 18650 so it has longer run time if you need to use it all night. It's also cheaper. Like I said, I looked at the features and specifications of it when it came out and it appealed to me as a good entry point into lithium ion light land. It's overall a very good "house light". It has power, long run time, great tail standing, and a good mix of decent throw and flood and also is neutral white.

If I was worried about my lights being "destroyed" by the specs of other lights I wouldn't have much fun with my flashlights now would I :)

P.S. Those XM-L5v2's emitters from 2017 absolutely destroy all these POS lights we have now... WHY ARE WE EVEN USING THEM? :)

Newuser01

Enlightened
I've been reading up on some and according to some test SC600 can do the following:

Hi 500 lms with AW 2200mAH ========>1hr 30mins to 50%
Hi 500 lms with Callie's Kustoms Pana 3100 ========> 2:08:47 to 50%
If so, How long can 3400 mAH cells will run at Hi?

First test is by our great selfbuilt and the other is Mitro from the other Forum. I 3400 mAH cell run it at appx: 3 hours on hi, all we need (at this time) is just a tiny bit more efficient LED, Circuit, Cooling, and/or reflector/glass technology. Just that a little bit more!

And EA4 run as follows,(4 nimh cells).. This is for comparison only.
Hi 550 lms @ 2 hours (Manufacturer rated)
hi 1 hr 43 mins (our selfbuilt's run time test) on sanyo 2000 mAH cells.

And thank you for chiming in.
Regards.