Aren't candles still best for power outage?

LEDrock

Enlightened
I've been using simple candles for power outages, and I actually like them better than flashlights for general lighting. A flashlight (my preference is LED) is still needed when I want to move around alot from room to room, but a candle seems unbeatable for lighting up a room for long periods of time. A 12" taper candle can last for 9 hours! It doesn't degrade with age like batteries, and nothing can corrode. I just appreciate that simplicity!

Does anyone else here still hold candles in high regard even with the big advancements in flashlights that we now have?

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
Candles are ok, but can be a big fire hazard if you're not careful. Never leave a candle alone, especially if there are children or pets in the house!

Coaster

Newly Enlightened
During power outages I use a hurricane lamp to light the main room of the house we're usually in. We use flashlights from there to venture to the kitchen or to the bathroom.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1
In Houston, H. Ike there a few house that burn down because of candles.

Candles are ok, but can be a big fire hazard if you're not careful. Never leave a candle alone, especially if there are children or pets in the house!

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
For stationary use, like to light a room, during a power outage, I prefer candles. We always use them in an appropriate holder though. For moving around, a flashlight is always better IMO

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I appreciate the simplicity and even the ambience candles provide, I would be affraid to leave one burning unattended for fear of one of my animals knocking it over or whatever you can imagine may happen. Candles should be included in everyone's emergency supplies but care should obviously be taken due to their nature.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
don't expect candles to work like furnaces with a low oxygen sensor, you will pass out from high carbon dioxide levels in an enclosed room way before you notice a flicker :shrug:

if your going to work with fire, open slits in windows across rooms, I did just that last time we sat out an evacuation from a hurricane/flood warning...power was out for a week...:ohgeez:
Are you serious? Do you have any clue how many candles you'd have to have burning for how long in a very small (sealed) room to have any noticeable effect on oxygen levels? Personal experience with this?

Growing up we frequently had candles or kerosene lanterns burning, and my wife of 14 years used to sell candles and often has candles burning for decoration around the house. Neither of us has ever experienced or heard of any problems like you suggested. Heck, the gas vent-free fireplace in our living room has a much bigger flame than if we had two dozen candles burning at one time, and it has never been an issue.

For centuries before electricity people used cnadles and lanterns for light inside their houses, and I can't seem to recall any widespread reports of people passing out or dying from high carbon dioxide levels (and no, they didn't leave their windows cracked in the middle of winter either).

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 9 in. candle weighing 58.3g will consume between 72L and 144L of oxygen in its (complete) combustion. That means it will render between 361L and 722L of air unbreatheable. In English measurements, that's between 12.7ft^3 and 25.5ft^3. In a 10*10ft room, that's a layer of air over the floor between 1.5in. and 3in. high.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
The warmth of the candle light tint makes me want to use them. I get those tea-light candles that they seem to sell for 3$ for 100.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I used to like candles but a single 5mm LED IMO is a lot brighter to me and no annoying flickering plus no worries about where to put it so you don't knock it over and burn the place down. No fumbling with lighting on.... with a flashlight!.... lol yes when power goes out you have to find candles and light them with flashlights to use them if you don't carry a lighter.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Personally, for me, the point of hanging out on CPF and having lots of flashlights is that I do not have to resort to fire.

:shrug:

Sure if I am freezing I'd light up the fireplace but just for the sake of light I will stick to my Milky Boxter on mizer mode with an 18650. I forget how many hundred hours it will run on low, it's in the 400's. So that beats the runtime of a candle and is safer.

Illum

Flashaholic
Are you serious? Do you have any clue how many candles you'd have to have burning for how long in a very small (sealed) room to have any noticeable effect on oxygen levels? Personal experience with this?

When I was young my hobby was collecting candles before I made my way into flashlights. Using whatever allowance I have, I can fill a 14' by 18' room with candles until I'm left with a 2' wide walkway in the middle...this was when I was 8, I'm 22 now:crazy:

Come to think of it I can't really prove that it could be hazardous, but I do remember I had the worst headaches whenever I might multiple candles in an enclosed room, but I never got tired of seeing fire dancing beside me so I never quit from it. I've always thought it was the CO/CO2 levels increasing, guess not:candle:

Either way, leaving a candle burning unattended in an enclosed room is generally a bad idea, I've always been warned that under low levels of oxygen any flame source will begin to emit carbon monoxide, or CO...colorless, tasteless, but deadly. But since LukeA so generously calculated the resultants, I'll edit it out :ohgeez:

For centuries before electricity people used cnadles and lanterns for light inside their houses, and I can't seem to recall any widespread reports of people passing out or dying from high carbon dioxide levels (and no, they didn't leave their windows cracked in the middle of winter either).

I don't think centuries ago people used caulk under doors and windows, uses multi-layer insulation in walls...what I'm getting to is that modern houses are pretty well sealed compared to ones built 10 years ago...let alone 100

Last edited:

83Venture

Enlightened
When using candles be careful. One of the CPF senior members died not to long ago in a fire caused be candles. When I use one it is in a candle lantern.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Candles are still good. Even better for late fall/ winter camping. I can run a candle lantern inside my floorless shelter and add about 10 extra degrees to my shelter. Oh they don't need lithium batteries to run all night at sub freezing temps. Plus the tint seem warm.:grin2:
100_4176.jpg

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Candles are still good. Even better for late fall/ winter camping. I can run a candle lantern inside my floorless shelter and add about 10 extra degrees to my shelter. Oh they don't need lithium batteries to run all night at sub freezing temps. Plus the tint seem warm.:grin2:
100_4176.jpg

I've got one of those too. I thought about mentioning it, but I had forgotten what it was called. :ohgeez:

carling

Newly Enlightened
They're not necessarily the "best" but there's something about candles that draws me into using them even with "better" lights around. :candle:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I remember growing up when you had the choice of candles or 2D flashlights or 6v lanterns or a coleman gas lantern for light when power went out. With LEDs.... the 2D lights run for days instead of hours, lanterns run for weeks instead of half a day off of fuel. There are AA based lights that run for 24 hours or more at more than candle level lighting so candles are no longer an *only* choice vs expensive alternative ones.