ARGH: Accident w/Amondotech 123s and SF M2 + Detonator + G&P Tailcap + Chop KL3 Head!

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ARGH: Accident w/Amondotech 123s and SF M2 + Detonator + G&P Tailcap + Chop KL3 Head!

Chronos - sorry to hear about your light (it is quite nice) and am glad you and your family are ok. There have been quite a few threads with ZTS results from testing of various brands of cells. The ones that are most consistent that have been tested thus far are Streamlight, Surefire, and Sanyo. I believe Tenergies tested well, but these do not have PTC. Batterystation and Titanium cells seem to have the most variance in capacity when tested, tho a recent test performed by Doug (Quickbeam) showed all the Titanium cells he received tested consistently. Many proponents of the BS and Titanium cells use the argument that there have been events with any brand cell, but it's not just an event happening that is indicative of the QC (or lack thereof), but how often an event occurs (event is inclusive of the variation in the test results). Consistency in performance is an indicator of the amount of QC and design that went into the product. Mfrs with lower rates of failures or more consistent performance at the field are either taking more yield losses at the factory or have developed more precise and costlier methods of mfr'ing and/or design. Tho I don't think the BS and Titanium cells are poorly made/designed, I do believe they (vendors/mfrs) have given up a bit in the QC and design areas to maximize yield and thus more issues are seen at the field. I reserve my BS and Titanium cells I have left for single-cell applications and now only use Rayovacs, Sanyos, SFs, or Streamlight cells in my multi-cell applications. Consistency/quality cost money and when you're trying to offer the lowest priced product with the highest profit margins, you NEED to give on a few things by improving factory yield, even if those factory yields eventually show up at the field. The data, tho not conclusive, should not be ignored and having been in the manufacturing of electronic devices for many years, I can tell you that the products you buy for lower prices, even tho they seem to perform well and do not have many field failures, are often times poorer performers, it's just that guardbands allow poorer devices/components to be hidden for the most part. Mfrs also tend to source from various qualified sources at any time, so your purchase of a product a few months later than your first purchase may have a poorer performance component in there. I've tested competitor parts used in our customers' end products and know when they're better or we're better, yet all get into the field. I'm surprised how much the performance can vary while still being ok for sale.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: ARGH: Accident w/Amondotech 123s and SF M2 + Detonator + G&P Tailcap + Chop KL3 H

unnerve,

The HD45 is one of my designs and it is a simple twisty two stage light. I wanted also to comment on agreement with Newbie that I think that in the case where the wrapper shrunk and opened an exposed band of the battery shell, it is highly unlikely that this exposed section made a ground contact with the battery tube. Possible I suppose but unlikely. The split would have to be wide enough to allow the exposed shell contact, past the stand off of the wrapper thickness, with the radiused surface inside the tube and this surface is typically anodized which is also an electrical isolation barrier.

unnerv

Enlightened
Re: ARGH: Accident w/Amondotech 123s and SF M2 + Detonator + G&P Tailcap + Chop KL3 Head!

Sorry Don,

I didn't mean to confuse the HD45 with the HDS EDC 42. Since it is a twisty with no circuit, the issue is probably not the tail in this case. You know what they say "when you assume you make an *** out of U and ME." My bad.

I would still suspect the G&P tail as a possible contributer to the current issue tho.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd be curious to hear if you get any kind of response, excuse, or blame from the vendor.

Chronos said:
However, I would like answers. I'll contact Amondotech on Monday to lodge a complaint. I'll gladly send them my light for evidence. I may even contact an attorney. I may contact a doctor too.

GreySave

Enlightened

Just out of curiousity.....Has anyone logged how often this has happened to lights that have been home built, modified, or altered any way as opposed to original equipment lights from conventional manufacturers such as Surefire and others?

I am not trying to point a finger at anyone. It simply would be very interesting to determine if there is any pattern and, as an interested party (I currently have two 123a multicell lights now with a third on order) I think exploring this would be of value to everyone.

Alan

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just off the top of my head and sheer memory (not necessarily reliable at my age :) ) it seems that the majority of these have occurred with production lights that have not been modified. At the same time, I should note that I've been around people who have used CR123 powered lights for over 20 years, and have used them myself, and have not heard of a single incident like the ones reported here.

Now I'm not sure, as I just noticed it this morning, but a friend gave me a 4-pack of Amondotech batteries that he had just received, a few months ago. I put two of them into a Maxfire LX back then, checked the output, and haven't touched the light since. This morning when I tried it, the output looked awfully week, like the battery had gone past the 50% point. I'll check the other two that I have to see if they have also self-discharged, and I'll check the Brinkmann to see if it has a short.

GreySave said:
Just out of curiousity.....Has anyone logged how often this has happened to lights that have been home built, modified, or altered any way as opposed to original equipment lights from conventional manufacturers such as Surefire and others?

Alan

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Isn't this tailcap intended for incan lights? IIRC?

And would some circuit in the regulated LED lights that checks for current draw and limits it help some?

bernie

mahoney

Enlightened
Re: ARGH: Accident w/Amondotech 123s and SF M2 + Detonator + G&P Tailcap + Chop KL3 H

I don't know what testing Amondotech does when they fabricate their shrink wrapped 2-battery 123 sticks, but for the last 2 months I've been ZTS testing and matching the battery pairs that go in my 2 cell lights. Based on my experience with my last order of Titanium 123 cells, which tested anywhere from 80% to 20% new out of the pack, I decided to cut open and test the cells in the 2 battery sticks before I use them. I have found up to a difference of 40% in the capacity of the batteries in a given "matched pair". Based on Newbie's testing, this is enough of a difference to be a concern.

The ZTS tester, or something similar, is inexpensive insurance. At only about $30 for the Mini, or $80 for the MBT-1, it's a fraction of the cost of a high end light or an ER visit. And with what I've learned about certain battery brands based on my testing with the ZTS, and testing that others have done and posted on CFP, I have formed some opinions about which battery brands I'll be buying in the future. That alone was worth the purchase price of the device.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast

On my way back home tonight Wayne from Amondotech called me. Seems like a great guy. He's definitely concerned. I'm sending him the cells so he can have his engineers analyze them.

He wants to send me a battery tester and pay for repairs to my modded KL3- I appreciate the offer. I'll check with Chop to see if he has time/can repair it. I am impressed with Wayne's offers; way above and beyond the call. I guess it is just my nature- I feel uneasy about accepting his offer, but probably will. He also wants more information about the circuit in the KL3; if I can get details I'll send it to him. We had a great conversation (I could not believe the kids stopped fighting long enough for the call! Thank goodness my wife's new car arrives tomorrow. Not a day too early :) )

I'll keep everyone posted.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Mahoney,

I need to point out that Newbie's testing has been done with cells that he has drained prior to matching up with new cells. He has not tried testing ZTS mismatched cells. I am not sure if there will be a difference, but until this is tested, I would hesitate to draw conclusions from one scenario and apply those conclusions to a different scenario.

The Titanium cells seem to sometimes start out at a lower voltage (hence the ZTS results of less than 100% with new cells) then during the discharge the voltage rises again. I believe the rapid vent with flame recipe requires cells of around 35-45% different capacity. I have seen some differences in capacity with the Titanium cells, but not to that extent. I am not sure how differing voltages fit in, but am sure that additional testing may reveal what role voltage plays.

I am under the impression that the Titanium "matched" cells are matched on capacity and come from the same batch. I also believe they are matched on voltage, but at lower loads than the ZTS tester uses. I need to get some of the matched cells and do a test of them to see how well they are matched.

The ZTS tester is capable of matching cells by monitoring the voltage under load. I prefer to use matched cells and the ZTS tester gives us a match on voltage under load. There are still a lot of unknowns as to what is going on, but further testing should help us better understand the situation.

Tom

carrot

Flashaholic

Chronos said:
On my way back home tonight Wayne from Amondotech called me. Seems like a great guy. He's definitely concerned. I'm sending him the cells so he can have his engineers analyze them.

He wants to send me a battery tester and pay for repairs to my modded KL3- I appreciate the offer. I'll check with Chop to see if he has time/can repair it. I am impressed with Wayne's offers; way above and beyond the call. I guess it is just my nature- I feel uneasy about accepting his offer, but probably will. He also wants more information about the circuit in the KL3; if I can get details I'll send it to him. We had a great conversation (I could not believe the kids stopped fighting long enough for the call! Thank goodness my wife's new car arrives tomorrow. Not a day too early :) )

I'll keep everyone posted.
:thumbsup: to Amondotech for the way this situation is being handled.

Do we know if testing and matching cells with a ZTS Mini-MBT/MBT-1 is sufficient enough to make a Lithium cell thermal runaway unlikely?

David_Campen

Enlightened

I've been ZTS testing and matching the battery pairs that go in my 2 cell lights. Based on my experience with my last order of Titanium 123 cells, which tested anywhere from 80% to 20% new out of the pack, I decided to cut open and test the cells in the 2 battery sticks before I use them. I have found up to a difference of 40% in the capacity of the batteries in a given "matched pair".
The ZTS test results have little correlation with the energy content of a 123 cell.

Based on Newbie's testing, this is enough of a difference to be a concern.
Newbie's tests were done with cells that had been discharged to produce cells of diminshed energy content which has little correlation with ZTS results.

David_Campen

Enlightened

Do we know if testing and matching cells with a ZTS Mini-MBT/MBT-1 is sufficient enough to make a Lithium cell thermal runaway unlikely?
There is no evidence that matching cells by ZTS values has any effect on preventing these incidents.

DonnyD

Newly Enlightened

I read about 18 pages of Lunarmodual's " Roar of the Pelican" thread. I read it with interest, though I have not finished. Maybe I should.

There was one post in that huge conversation that seemed very estute. In my own reading of thread, it was a forceful point, and it rang the ring of truth.

Unless I am mistaken, it was publicy ignored.

Ray_of_Light posted (on 6/12/2006):

"I have conducting some tests with primary lithium batteries, since I want to prevent this form happening to me, and I am now pretty sure of the following:

1) The cause of explosion of Lithium primaries is the presence of residual water in the battery. This can be caused from a defective crimp seal, or from uncontrolled factors in the production process, like exposition to air humidity or low cooking temperature, expecially for the MnO2 of CR123."

There is more to that post, here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/120888&page=13&pp=30&highlight=roar+pelican

After viewing Newbie's photograph below, does anyone believe these are two good pieces of the same puzzle?

2411b9d.jpg

Bwaites, who has plenty of words to spare here on candlepower forums, didn't find even one word to acknowledge Ray's contribution in post #409 of the "...Pelican" thread, but he seemed to have the same of idea. He wrote:

"I really am starting to wonder about water being an issue. Once water gets into one of these lights, it can't get out, and everyone knows what happens with water that gets hot."

Ray said he knows what happens...just one page previous, in post #369. OK, so both guys suspect water is an issue.

Is moisture getting inside some cells through a tear in the extra-crimped crimp? I wanted to ask this question, because it was raised twice in the "..Pelican" thread, and AFAIK, it wasn't addressed.

What about side by side testing with the Duracell 123s, once all the batteries go through the steamer (so to speak)? If Duracell doesn't practice crimping of the PTC, as Newbie has observed, then maybe there would be some interesting results from that pairing.

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic

your statements are misleading!

ZTS detector display may not accurately match exactly amount of charge remaining within cell. but your particular ZTS will display amount of charge remaining as compared to other cells.

evenly matched cells is what we want!

mis-matched cells is what causes reverse charging. using ZTS allows us to match up cells with remaining capacitys. naturally using same brand cells in series is good too.

what ZTS will not do is detect defective PTC devices.

IMHO it takes a combination of: mis-matched primary litium cells, defective PTC and accidentally leaving your light on (clickie) to produce a failure.

edit: take away any ONE risk factor from list below and you have reduced danger of lithium failure by a huge factor.

1. use ZTS to match up cells (new cells can be defective)
2. use brand of lithium cells known to have less failures in newbies tests. (less chance of defective PTC)
3. use single cell lights (cannot reverse charge)
4. don't use primary lithium cells
5. use twisties (LOTC) instead of clickies hugely reduces accidental switch-on. also if internal failure is already occurring (no light). clickies will not indicate if it's actually off.

Dead short failures by twistie lights does not apply. lights designed for 18650 are aprox. 18.5mm ID. insert a 16.75mm primary lithium and you have a possible dead short situation in some designs. could this be why surefire eliminated support for 18650 on U2?

David_Campen said:
The ZTS test results have little correlation with the energy content of a 123 cell.

Newbie's tests were done with cells that had been discharged to produce cells of diminshed energy content which has little correlation with ZTS results.

Last edited:

David_Campen

Enlightened

ZTS detector display may not accurately match exactly amount of charge remaining within cell. but your particular ZTS will display amount of charge remaining as compared to other cells.

evenly matched cells is what we want!

mis-matched cells is what causes reverse charging. using ZTS allows us to match up cells with remaining capacitys.
None of this has been demonstrated to be true. "Testing" and "matching" cells with an MBT makes some people feel good and it probably doesn't hurt anything but there is no evidence that it is of any value.

David_Campen

Enlightened

I read about 18 pages of Lunarmodual's " Roar of the Pelican" thread. I read it with interest, though I have not finished. Maybe I should.
Remember that Lunarmodule has been shown to have great difficulty distinguishing fact from fantasy.

There was one post in that huge conversation that seem very estute. In my own reading of thread, it was a forceful point, and it rang the ring of truth.

Unless I am mistaken, it was publicy ignored.

Ray_of_Light posted (on 6/12/2006):

"I have conducting some tests with primary lithium batteries, since I want to prevent this form happening to me, and I am now pretty sure of the following:

1) The cause of explosion of Lithium primaries is the presence of residual water in the battery. This can be caused from a defective crimp seal, or from uncontrolled factors in the production process, like exposition to air humidity or low cooking temperature, expecially for the MnO2 of CR123."

There is more to that post, here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/120888&page=13&pp=30&highlight=roar+pelican
Yes, I am a bit skeptical but it is an interesting hypothesis and definitely worth further experimentation.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast

If moisture is in the cells, it may be occuring during the mfr'ing process. I've been to assembly houses and mfr'ing plants in china for semiconductor devices and was surprised to see materials that have instructions explicitly stating to not leave open and expose to air left open and exposed to air. Of course, the materials absorbed moisture in the air and was the root cause of some failures that were not caught until products were in the field. Again, I'll state, if the prices are very low, something must be compromised, one of which may be quality. They cannot compromise on performance as everyone sees that daily in their usage, but quality control may not be noticed as often and increasing yields by lowering inspection/test standards will decrease cost and resulting price for the same performance. These mfr's also don't need to answer publicly to the world like Energizer and Duracell do due to their brand recognitions (which imply and require more due diligence in tighter testing and standards to compete).

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

How very true. Products manufactured in China often go through many hands before any kind of brand name is assigned to it. For most consumers, the actual source of manufacturing is never known.

jsr said:
These mfr's also don't need to answer publicly to the world like Energizer and Duracell do due to their brand recognitions (which imply and require more due diligence in tighter testing and standards to compete).

cy

Flashaholic

please do explain your statement.

I'm not convinced that when my ZTS states there's say 80% remaining. that there's truly 80% cell life remaining.

but I am convinced that when testing simular cells, ZTS will indicate aprox. state of charge between cells.

when ZTS states 80% or 40%, really don't care that is actually 60% and 30% remaining.

what I'm concerned with is using cells with simular state of charge. so reverse charging will not occur or be minimal.

ZTS achieves that, unless you care of provide proof otherwise.

edit: I see you are slamming ZTS in this thread too...
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128304

David_Campen said:
None of this has been demonstrated to be true. "Testing" and "matching" cells with an MBT makes some people feel good and it probably doesn't hurt anything but there is no evidence that it is of any value.

Last edited: