Armytek Dobermann

chaosdsm

Enlightened
I just received my first AT (Doberman XP-L) . . . NO WAY that this light puts out 1200 lumens!
There wasn't a manual, either?!:wtf:

Assuming you have the Dobermann XP-L HI "White" version (due to mentioned green overtones...) Armytek clearly states in the specs that the Out-the-Front lumens is 1050 for that light. This is likely correct... I have the Dobermann Pro in XP-L HI White (rated at 1200 LED / 1000 OTF lumens) & it's significantly brighter with one high-drain 18650 than my 760 - 820 lumen Nitecore SRT-7 as can clearly be seen in the photo I posted 4 posts up. These can also be used with two RCR123's for 8.4V operation which should give maximum brightness in trade-off for reduced runtime.

As for the manual, download it from the product page.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming you have the Dobermann XP-L HI "White" version (due to mentioned green overtones...) Armytek clearly states in the specs that the Out-the-Front lumens is 1050 for that light. This is likely correct... I have the Dobermann Pro in XP-L HI White (rated at 1200 LED / 1000 OTF lumens) & it's significantly brighter with one high-drain 18650 than my 760 - 820 lumen Nitecore SRT-7 as can clearly be seen in the photo I posted 4 posts up. These can also be used with two RCR123's for 8.4V operation which should give maximum brightness in trade-off for reduced runtime.

2 rcr123s make no difference in my sample. Have you tried them? Mine is from an older batch; it puts out only around 800 lumens OTF.

Desdinova

Newly Enlightened

Not the XP-L HI, or at least that's not what I ordered from Illumn , nor does my invoice, box or light body state as much.

The batteries I tried were a Nitecore 2600 mAh protected and a NCR18650 3200 mAh unprotested. No difference between the two that I can tell. Something tells me it's as bright as it gets, which is plenty, but FAR from the claimed 1250 lumens.

As for the manual, I had already downloaded it. I even thought of doing it all on my own. I only mentioned it because I find it EXCEEDINGLY LAME to not include a manual! I'm not trying to be argumentative or contrary, but come on. What's the justification for that? Pass along that 1/4 of $0.01 savings to the consumer?

The light is what it is and I'm planning on keeping it, but I'm sort of ambivalent about it right now.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not the XP-L HI, or at least that's not what I ordered from Illumn , nor does my invoice, box or light body state as much.

The batteries I tried were a Nitecore 2600 mAh protected and a NCR18650 3200 mAh unprotested. No difference between the two that I can tell. Something tells me it's as bright as it gets, which is plenty, but FAR from the claimed 1250 lumens.

As for the manual, I had already downloaded it. I even thought of doing it all on my own. I only mentioned it because I find it EXCEEDINGLY LAME to not include a manual! I'm not trying to be argumentative or contrary, but come on. What's the justification for that? Pass along that 1/4 of $0.01 savings to the consumer?

The light is what it is and I'm planning on keeping it, but I'm sort of ambivalent about it right now.

It's a tough choice: grabbing a light at a significant discount but knowing at the time of purchase or finding out later that you're not completely satisfied with it, or saving the money and waiting to buy one you really want but at its full price.

The regular version does not offer constant regulation, if that's important to you. Come to think of it, my Dobermann Pro with XPL HI doesn't either, but it took 3 tries just to get a working light, albeit an underperforming one. Ironically, it is because it does fall so short of its advertised specs that I don't like it and cherish it enough to baby it, so I use it daily without too much care. I don't abuse it though.

Keep it and use it well. If you get lucky, it just might fail you within the next 10 years, and AT will have to replace it with whatever current model they're selling at the time, which will be better than your current model.

Desdinova

Newly Enlightened
It's a tough choice: grabbing a light at a significant discount but knowing at the time of purchase or finding out later that you're not completely satisfied with it, or saving the money and waiting to buy one you really want but at its full price.

The regular version does not offer constant regulation, if that's important to you. Come to think of it, my Dobermann Pro with XPL HI doesn't either, but it took 3 tries just to get a working light, albeit an underperforming one. Ironically, it is because it does fall so short of its advertised specs that I don't like it and cherish it enough to baby it, so I use it daily without too much care. I don't abuse it though.

Keep it and use it well. If you get lucky, it just might fail you within the next 10 years, and AT will have to replace it with whatever current model they're selling at the time, which will be better than your current model.

Good point(s). Save my money!!! I've got a drawer full of lights. If I only knew what I wanted...

I'm an admitted flashaholic.
I just can't live without flashahol.:drunk:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Next time order your light directly from Armytek. That way you will get the newest production with the newest firmware. You likely got older stock because every light I have ordered from them lately came with a full colour manual including in the box.

As for the brightness, did you make sure it is correctly set to turbo 2? You should get 2 blinks after the procedure if it is. My Viking Pro XP-L(Warm) is definitely close to the 1025 OTF it claims to be as I have compared it to other lights I have with similar output. If it is on Turbo 2 and is considerably less the it's 1050 claimed OTF lumens, then maybe you got a light with an issue. Send it back for warranty.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
got the new warm white XHP DP and it is AWESOME!! My ONLY gripe is the print or engraving on the head "supe rbright" come on really? Still loving the new XHP's