Australian laser laws - what is the latest news???

luvlasers

Enlightened
I keep on reading and hearing about lasers being banned in Australia. At this stage is it just talk and decisions by politicians OR have actual laws now come into place?

If you have any updates, links will be appreciated :eek:oo:

Force Attuned

Enlightened
Not allowed to import lasers of 5mW or above in Victoria. It is a state offence to import. It is also a state offence in Victoria to possess/use/sell/manufacture lasers.

Too many *expletives* are pointing them at planes and car drivers.

Last edited:

Citivolus

Enlightened
It is still very much a state by state matter. NSW has recent legislation on this, basically you need to have a legitimate purpose for having one if you are found in a public place with it. In Queensland there are no current extra rules, however common sense still comes into play. Victoria requires a license for owning/use, which will cost you more than most lasers. Other states/territories I am not currently up on, however I do know that many have exclusions available for legitimate recognised uses such as Astronomy.

Regards,
Eric

Citivolus

Enlightened
Not allowed to import lasers of 5mW or above. It is a federal offence to import. It is also a state offence in Victoria to possess a 5mW or above laser.

Too many *expletives* are pointing them at planes and car drivers.

Do you have a link regarding import? The ACS still doesn't have any notices about official policy in this regard.

Regards,
Eric

Force Attuned

Enlightened
Check out the following link though it is quite dated...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/137829

I mistakenly stated earlier that it was a Federal offence to import a laser of 5mW or above :thinking:.

It is actually a state offence in Victoria to possess/sell/use/manufacture a laser without being the holder of the appropriate licence/permit.

It is also an offence to import a laser from any state or territory or country in Victoria.

Hope this clears things up. I have edited my previous post accordingly.

I don't think it will be long before they high powered lasers will be illegal to those in other states not being licence/permit holders.

DrifT3R

Enlightened

Norm

Retired Administrator
hmm i wonder if DX can deliver in one month :sigh:
Drifter do you want to buy my 30mW greenie as new in it's case. Looks like this True Green Laser Pen 30mW
Gee they've come down in price, I paid about $10 more than the current price, my laser was the brightest at the last Melbourne get together and one of the others originally cost over $100.
Norm

picrthis

Enlightened
There mostly against the law here in the USA too, have been for a very long time; yet importing them rarely causes an issue. They have to be 5mw< or have numerous "safety" features on them, I've never seen any pen sized lasers have any of those required features on them. Even the larger sized lasers while some have some of the FDA required "safety" features, most don't have all that are required and thus they too are illegal. I guess it's too early to tell, but just because they have a ban/law doesn't mean they won't unofficially slip through. Good luck.

picrthis

Enlightened
Hey does anyone have a link to a video of what it really looks like from inside the cockpit of an airplane being "hit" be one of these handheld lasers from the ground? I think it could easily be over exaggerated; much like using a cell phone could cash a plane to crash, and we really know that is bull. I think people are just over panicking and reacting; do mostly the news media that really know little about lasers.

So ... my take on this is that EXISTING lasers remain legal so long as you are not carrying or using them in a public place. That is, its fine INSIDE your house.

If you are using or carrying them in a public place, you need to have a reason such as legitimate hobby (astronomy?) or if you are a teacher using a laser in a lecture.

This is all according to NSW law - but as of 1st July the Federal Gov't will make it illegal to IMPORT lasers anyway.

About right?

picrthis

Enlightened
Thanks for the link, Wow "Import frenzy to beat laser gun ban" & "how to turn low-level lasers into long-range weapons" Geezz anybody know how to turn a 5mw Laser into a long range weapon? That could save the US Troops in Iraq tons & tons of money IF as the article says, they could take a handheld 5mw & with 2 AAA batteries and make a Long Range Weapon out; isn't technology great :poof:.

I guess I ought to sell my handguns for self defense & turn a 5mw laser into a "laser gun", that would be so much cheaper too. :twothumbs

Last edited:

picrthis

Enlightened
Has anyone ever heard of a Plane or Helicopter being knocked out of the sky do to one of these "long range weapons ie: handheld lasers"? :tinfoil:

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
But still even after, its not like they can go through & open the package & check??

Ill not in the position to get that laser yet..

jcvjcvjcvjcv

Enlightened
Use FedEx. In my country not a single FedEx package gets opened :naughty:

Well, were should the US customs check for? Guns? That's legal in the US. Drugs? Well, easier from Mexico, right? Rare animals? You don't put those in a package, do you?

If you don't ban anything you don't have to check for illegal things either.