StarHalo

Flashaholic
LG "Classic TV", 32" with wood trim, HD display, actual functional knobs and buttons; ~$750, South Korea only:

ibu0zrx7fuWHvR.jpg

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I totally don't understand the "retro" thing. Not just in electronics, but in other things like homes where they use fake window panes and styles dating from a century ago. Can't we just have a modern, unique 21st century look for things? Why are we fixated on staying in the 1950s forever? It's all the more ironic considering that in the 1950s a lot of people were actually looking forward to the future as shown by visionaries of the time. Now that we're in that future, it doesn't look much different from the world of my childhood.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't get this retro design either and I don't see these selling very well. I'm also curious to understand how that tuning knob works on a 21st century digital TV. (a heck of lot of twisting the dial considering how many channels there are now)

Last edited:
I think that's one of the best looking TV's I've seen in a long time,, I'd definitely buy one for a small den. I'm wondering if it has a remote control in addition to the knobs.

As far as the retro thing, why not? Different strokes for different folks. Perhaps it helps to have lived in the 50's to understand the allure.

~ Chance

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that's one of the best looking TV's I've seen in a long time,, I'd definitely buy one for a small den. I'm wondering if it has a remote control in addition to the knobs.

As far as the retro thing, why not? Different strokes for different folks. Perhaps it helps to have lived in the 50's to understand the allure.

~ Chance

Well, if it's "really" a retro TV it wouldn't have a remote. You'd have to get up off the couch to change channels. :)

No way! That's a deal breaker. My two sons are teenagers, so there's no chance of them hopping up to change the channel for me. I still remember how fun it was to change the channels for dad.

It wouldn't bother me if my retro TV came with a remote,, matter of fact, I'm betting it does.

~ Chance

Back to work. Later gents.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Speaking of Duck Dynasty...did you see the ratings of the new season premier? I must confess that I got hooked watching these good old boys...and Gold Rush too.

Thing about 3D is Cameron was the only one who really understood and demonstrated how to use it for the profound immersion effect. When I watch my copies of Avatar, they are pretty, but not immersive like the 3D theater which I watched 10-12 times, and I have never watched any movie more than 2-3 times, unless it shows up channel surfing like Pulp Fiction, Fargo, Memento--always superb.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that Cameron has an understanding of how to use 3D projection in a way that other directors fail to grasp. I remember being so impressed with Cameron's use of restraint in how he used the 3D process in Avatar. While most directors try to startle audiences and have people ducking projectiles that appear to be coming at them in their seats, Cameron used 3D to draw the viewer into the environments he was portraying and therefore into the story. When he did have something hurdling out at the audience it was usually for dramatic effect to further the storytelling.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Well I can't always bat a thousand; I previously implied that the concave OLED was some sort of not-for-production concept that was just a pleasant gimmick - I was listening to The Tech Guy show with Leo Laporte earlier today, and the TV segment was "how to mount your curved OLED," "lots of curved OLEDs at the next CES," "curved OLED is the new plasma," etc..

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Avatar alone does not justify a 3D TV. And most of the post conversion fake 3D are horrid.

There is another movie out now that may encourage people to buy a 3D TV.
Gravity.
The following extended trailer shows:
(1) The last 2 minutes of the opening shot when the space shuttle got hit by debris from an exploding satellite.
(2) Sandra lost in space, after that and before George found her.
(3) The hard landing on the ISS. (Their shuttle was destroyed and they had to space walk/fly over to the ISS.)
(4)There are various miscellaneous shots at the end after the credits.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPEdJ5IAFEU
If you do go find the biggest screen around. Its worth the extra cost.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
If your computer/display is above average, [link removed, unless somebody knows a place that will host a .webm file]

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
With the caveat that I'm an Amazon employee: The Amazon Fire TV completely lives up to the hype, makes the Roku look like a joke. Internet TV is finally ready for prime time..

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Goodbye 3D, hello 4K..

The 2014 World Cup, which features constant advertising for Sony 4K throughout each match, is not being broadcast in 3D; that pretty much settles it.

Other news: Dolby Labs is preparing to bring their Dolby Atmos system to consumer home theater - that's up to 128 simultaneous speakers for your TV, good luck with those in-ceiling mounts..

One more bit: Dolby Labs is rolling out Dolby Vision, a new standard for 4K TVs that will ensure brightness/color/contrast as you see it on the movie screen is replicated on your TV set; TVs with this standard will have color and output that is not physically possible with current models.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The new Avatar, but whereas that movie broke new visual ground to be pretty, this one swings decidedly the other way.. 97% on Rotten Tomatoes for good reason, an instant classic for sure.

psKSAR9.jpg