Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off I agree, but have to say I actually disagree with the repeat story line.

Rant off.:eek:

No worries. I was a smart *** back in my college days. Today I only spout off in a theater during Rocky Horror movies. :crackup:

They mentioned in the movie that earth was a dying hell hole. And the Unobtanium was to salvage them somehow. I don't recall why it was to work.

I did give it the option of seeing it before comment. I agree the effects are good and not quite as in your face (with large areas of no plotline) as Star Wars, so They did a good thing with that. I just didn't care much for the story and my history watching movies is part of why it didn't click.

And they can do a script that isn't quite so derivative. IMO. Of course they are remaking many movies now. I did like 310 to Yuma and the Star Trek reboot.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I kept my first pair of RealD 3D glasses in case I see some blue chicks, I want to be ready for them to be real.

I'm going back in the next few days for a 5th viewing.

I kept them too. Not certain if they send them out for a cleaning or just dump them in the trash so I kept them. That way I can use them again on some flick.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Finally saw the movie last night in 3D IMAX - it was really enjoyable. It was fun to get emotionally involved with the plight of "The People". And the 3D thing was really great, except for my dirty smudged glasses!

[rant]But, as a graphic designer, I gotta say... with a $500 million movie, did they HAVE to use one of the worse fonts known to mankind, in "Papyrus" for their subtitles???!?!?? :hairpull: :whoopin: :xyxgun: A custom-made font would have been much cooler. And even if it's not 100% the same as Papyrus, it's 99.9% the same, and is putrid![/rant]

:thumbsup: john

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will hopefully see it this weekend. The NBC nightly news had a short story about it tonight , but they didn't really say anything new. Even though the plot might not be the most original (of course, very few things are "original" these days), the effects seem like they make it worth it all by themselves. Hopefully I shall soon see...

Pontiaker

Enlightened
Absolutely stunning awesome movie! I have watched it twice so far, once on IMAX 3D and once on the normal screen 3D, I actually liked the regular screen better than the IMAX, it just seemed clearer. My wife didnt really care to see it but once she did she loved it. This is going to be the new number 1 movie of all time, its that great. You have to go see it on the big screen at least once.

Remodeler

Newly Enlightened
The fact that it's a 'James Cameron' movie made it so successful so fast, most of the people i know who went to see Avatar, did so because of all the media attantion the movie got. It's a nice movie, awsome visuals, typical hollywood story... nice movie, not great.

Dawg

Enlightened
I'm sure they have also noticed that there aren't any Avatar 3D torrents out there either.

There are Torrents out there....just have to know where to look. I could be watching it at home right now, but it would be sacrilege to view it that way.

This movie is a wonder to behold, and if kept in the proper context of entertainment, it will satisfy anyone. I saw it in 2D and I want to go back for the 3D and then maybe the IMAX as well.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
There are Torrents out there....just have to know where to look. I could be watching it at home right now, but it would be sacrilege to view it that way.

This movie is a wonder to behold, and if kept in the proper context of entertainment, it will satisfy anyone. I saw it in 2D and I want to go back for the 3D and then maybe the IMAX as well.

They are not going to be the 3D torrents like you see in the theater, and I would never watch it in 2D. As I said earlier, this movie alone would make me buy a 3D television & BR disc player when available.

I also preferred the non-IMAX 3D theater. The tilt-back swivel seats with tilt-up arm rests in stadium style higher rows was much more comfortable and it had excellent THX surround sound & a larger screen than the IMAX in Manchester, CT.

It just moved into 2nd spot after Titanic in all time gross.

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3D IMAX screen I saw it on was 72.6 ft x 52.8 ft. They advertise it as 5 stories tall but it looks like the height of a 4 story building. We were close to dead center at, I'm guessing about 55 ft. away. The glasses are much larger than a Real 3D theatre's. The audience looks like a bunch of Roy Orbison immitators. It's fun hear all the newbies react when they fire it up. You know you are in a big venue but it surprises people anyway. The funniest reaction was, I think it was Chance Of Meatballs and three teenage girls were a row down and ten seats away from us. The colorful intro screen came on with a boat load of sound then it went to the "Please put on your 3D glasses" instruction and she was all like "OMG" and started giggling and "OMG" again and got hesterical and I don't think she was a stoner but was really losing it LHAO then her friends started laughing at her then the audience started laughing at her and she finally calmed down soon after the first preview began. I guess you'd have to have been there. It was funny.

Anyway. We saw Transformers there too and when a helicopter flew by it looked like a helicopter flew by. Another thing I learned about a 70 by 50 foot screen when I saw Eagle Eye. When a movie sucks it sucks...real...big.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Just saw it a second time. Even more drawn in than the frist time. It sucked me right in again.

I need to find an IMAX ...

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Just saw it a second time. Even more drawn in than the frist time. It sucked me right in again.

I need to find an IMAX ...

Honestly, unless it is a TRUE MEGA-GIANT IMAX, I wouldn't bother. I was much more comfortable and relaxed seeing it in the uber-comfortable rocking, well padded, removeable arm rest, stadium seats in this newer digital 3D theater. They even had a newer, cleaner screen than the IMAX.

I'm now betting this will overtake Titanic. It will likely reach $1.2 Billion by this weekend, which is only 3 weeks into its run.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Didn't find any IMAX near me anyway ... they're all closed. Guess that means another run for a standard 3D then ... :D

Boy I am sick. I wanna ride the wind on one of those creatures, I wanna marry a blue girl.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Didn't find any IMAX near me anyway ... they're all closed. Guess that means another run for a standard 3D then ... :D

Boy I am sick. I wanna ride the wind on one of those creatures, I wanna marry a blue girl.

I tell ya! If you are one that really gets bit by this Avatar bug, the hook gets deeply embedded.

I think I would be happy just to intertwine tails with a blue Pandoran woman. I thought that idea of having such a physical connection with various forms of nature and animals was a brilliant stroke of imagination. Much more enticing than a Vulcan Mind Meld.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have seen it twice in IMAX 3-D, need to go another time at least. Maybe twice, once in digital.

I saw it on a "real" large IMAX screen, but the movie itself does NOT take up the full IMAX screen. There is a border on the sides and top. I believe its shown in the same size on both real IMAX and LIEMAX (the smaller IMAX screens), both of which are bigger than the Real 3-D screens.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Yes, I think this connection, this link, is one of the key features why we like this film so much. It is, after all, nothing less than overcoming the borders of our eternal solitude (even when together with othes or in a relationship) and being together in the true sense of it.
A romantic dream of defeating loneliness, the longing.
bernie

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Yes, I think this connection, this link, is one of the key features why we like this film so much. It is, after all, nothing less than overcoming the borders of our eternal solitude (even when together with othes or in a relationship) and being together in the true sense of it.
A romantic dream of defeating loneliness, the longing.
bernie

Hey Bernie. I think you need to "get some." Quick! :devil:

I was pretty amazed how well Cameron's team created the Pandorian genders, but not quite vivid enough to challenge the film sensors (darn it!).

Unfortunately, his map is not accurate. Note the one in Manchester, CT is marked as REAL, and having been to a real IMAX in NYC, I guarantee it is not real. I am supported by two posts from others this last year in James's blog here.

You first want the 15/70 Format illustrated here.

The best resource to check is the Large Format Examiner database here. It lists the Manchester CT IMAX as only being 23'x51'. Providence RI is 61'x81'. Lincoln Square (Lowes) in NYC is 75'x97'

None of those are Domed screens which are at the end of this list....but I'm not sure Avatar is showing at the domed screens.

Last edited:

Latest posts