Baby Breastfeeding Light

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
We tried several options, such as a dimmable lamp plug and several types of night lights. They were either too bright, or they resulted in a bunch of strange shadows, or they didn't illuminate the baby well.

This is what I did for our nursery:

I built a simple decorative wooden box, leaving the top open.
I used an old Luxeon placed on a heatsink, mounted inside the box. The box is sitting on a high shelf, about a foot from the ceiling.

I used a resistor, a variable resistor and a wall wart charger from a Nokia cell phone. The result is a dimmable light which provides a very nice ceiling-bounced soft flood. It is on a timer, so the room always has enough light to check the baby.
The dimmer is a simple trim pot mounted inside the box, with an old hex key glued to it. The key sticks out of the box via a hole, allowing easy adjustment.
We have it set fairly dim--like bright moonlight.
Of course, you could place the trimpot and/or an on/off switch in a more reachable area.

The above solution addressed all of our concerns...and it was inexpensive and easy.

Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually have a wife that is currently breasfeeding.
It's not very flashaholic, but we use a 7w nitelight plugged into a nearby outlet. They make 7W and 4W bulbs if the 7W is too bright. It's a cheapie nitelight with a manual switch on it.
Does your wife know you posted that shot? He he.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why these days is it always "breast feeding" rather than just "feeding" or "nursing"? Is it so unusual to feed babies the normal way that it needs special emphasis?

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why these days is it always "breast feeding" rather than just "feeding" or "nursing"? Is it so unusual to feed babies the normal way that it needs special emphasis?
It had gone out of fashion for a while in the 50-60s. Only in the last 20 years has it seen the huge resurgence with the medical acceptance that "yes, I guess millions of years of evolution (or God) has produced something for this very purpose that is, in every way, better than a factory made formula".
So I guess it does add something to the description of "feeding" that may not be assumed.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
A headlamp is the way to go. I've been out of the market for years, but the old Princeton Tec Aurora is a big hit around here. Good for reading in bed also.

Afraid-of-the-dark

Newly Enlightened
I second the motion for the headlamp!

For our first two daughters we have used His & Hers Petzl Zipka's with a red filter. Obviously, you use the lowest setting. If the "low" is still too bright try putting some scotch tape over the lense.

This setup has been priceless for her middle-of-the-night nursing and for my diaper changing missions in the wee hours of the morning. At first she was somewhat skeptical about wearing a headlamp but she soon changed her tune.

Our final hatchling will be arriving in 2 1/2 months and unless someone comes up with something more brilliant he will have the same happy feelings as the first two kids when he sees a soft red glow at night.

The only caveat is with nightly usage the Petzls only last a year. Small price to pay for stellar convenience and utility.

Doh!Nut

Newly Enlightened
My very unflashaholic suggestion is a dawn simulator, this model plugs into the wall and your bedside light plugs into it.

We bought it to make mornings a little less painful in winter, it dims up from zero to bright over 15mins or so to allow you to wake a little more gradually.

This model also does a night-light which allows you to keep the light on very dim and brighten it up when required.
http://www.allergymatters.com/acatalog/SAD_Sunrise_System_Dawn_Simulator.html

I will say it is not perfect as the dimming buttons are on the front and a bit small so are not very natural to push.

The flashaholic suggestion is the KaiDomain mains power 3*1W driver (the splashproof one) and a selection of old LEDs - maybe using some colours.- but that ones still on the to-do list.

gillestugan

Enlightened
Re: Beam Shot, here ya go

Is it the 120-Degree Optic from DX that is used in the beamshot?
It seems more like a 40 degree.

hopkins

Enlightened
Walmart has these $5 LED lanterns that run on 4 AA batteries.
6 White leds :Hi/low/ 1 red led blinks/ off (4 modes)
(camping stuff area)
The top unscrews and the light bounces off the ceiling for nice low level photons. Easy to take apart and add a bigger resistor for the low mode if its still too bright.

Re: Beam Shot, here ya go

Is it the 120-Degree Optic from DX that is used in the beamshot?
It seems more like a 40 degree.

It's a very tight beam- it's the standard optic from the River Rock LED lights at Target (for a while you could buy them for 7$ if memory serves for 1.5W)

Yes, my wife knew I posted the shot- I told her I would. I had to iterate several shots where she held still (aka fell asleep) and there wasn't anything 'inappropriate' showing.

I may be building some snake lights off of the LEDs- if nothing else just to play with them. We'll see.

Hellbore

Enlightened
Doesn't she wake you up when she nurses the baby in the middle of the night?

Man that would drive me crazy... I dunno how you people with kids do it!