Bad experience with Prometheus Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

knife117

Newly Enlightened
+1. Would be interested in getting both sides of the story before passing any kind of judgement on either party.

The pictures pretty much say everything in my opinion. Why would a self respecting "high end" flashlight maker send out a flashlight with a fingerprint smudge and scratches on the reflector?

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pictures pretty much say everything in my opinion. Why would a self respecting "high end" flashlight maker send out a flashlight with a fingerprint smudge and scratches on the reflector?

I have no idea, that's why I'd like Jason to chime in here on the matter.

jmoyat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mistakes happen.. I would think that Jason will fix the problem.
He must be very busy making lights (he's a one man operation) and will likely get to this asap. I bought 10 lights from him and have always been more than happy with both the quality of his lights and the communication and buying process (order confirmation, shipping confirmation, all in a timely manner).
All of my ten lights were perfect, though you can always find a small scratch or little dust as expected with a custom light (many of my customs have dust inside the reflector, I can always clean that up).
True, these photos are disturbing, but I would think it is a one time incident that should not deter anyone from buying a Prometheus light. They are just outstanding - this is an unfortunate event and I am sure Jason will stand up to this and fix things up.

Last edited:

Mrhoades

Newly Enlightened
I have a feeling that Jason's version of the story would be different. I understand the OP wanting to have a perfect light for $300, but I question why the issue is put in three duplicate threads on CPF. This is the first customer service issue I've heard about regarding Jason. I don't know what the OP is looking for, but I hope they find it.

knife117

Newly Enlightened
Could you provide links to any of the previous incidents you are referring to?

+1

It was a cached post on his facebook page that I found on Google. It talked about poor customer service and no responses to email. I can't find a link anymore.

knife117

Newly Enlightened
I have a feeling that Jason's version of the story would be different. I understand the OP wanting to have a perfect light for $300, but I question why the issue is put in three duplicate threads on CPF. This is the first customer service issue I've heard about regarding Jason. I don't know what the OP is looking for, but I hope they find it.

Different how? I wasn't looking for a perfect light. The one I got had tiny scratches all over the body of the flashlight that I was fine with. Tell me you wouldn't return the light if the reflector was scratched and had a fingerprint smudge. That is beyond ridiculous for a $300 light. I have lights that cost less than $100 with spotless reflectors.

Mrhoades

Newly Enlightened
Different how? I wasn't looking for a perfect light. The one I got had tiny scratches all over the body of the flashlight that I was fine with. Tell me you wouldn't return the light if the reflector was scratched and had a fingerprint smudge. That is beyond ridiculous for a $300 light. I have lights that cost less than $100 with spotless reflectors.

There are two sides to every story. I don't deny hat you should have received a light free from imperfections. What I don't get is why you felt the need to start three threads in three different sub forums to complain about it. I didn't see anywhere that you stated the timeline of events. How long was it from the time you sent back the original light to the time you filed the PayPal claim?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Random thoughts:
Interesting thing here to think about. He uses Kickstarter to do business. So he must be fully aware what social media can do these days. Threads like this have to have an negative impact on sales. Perhaps he has enough sales not to worry? Seems like many small shops operate this way, regardless of the business. In my opinion, one of the reasons for paying a premium for custom/semi custom work is so that the customer can get things the way they want them. No matter how minor the detail.
I am happy with all my purchases from him. I hope he comes through and makes it right.

Mmassey338

Newly Enlightened
So I first started out with a PayPal dispute which lets the seller and buyer try to work things out, but he didn't respond to that, and I didn't have any reason to believe he would after ignoring my emails. So I escalated it to a PayPal claim which lets PayPal decide the outcome. He must have responded to PayPal because they basically froze the ~$300 in his PayPal account until I returned the light. Then I got my refund once PayPal confirmed that the package was delivered through the tracking info I gave them.

No email response from Jason at all once I got the messed up replacement light from him. I heard about this same sort of thing happening with others as well, so my gut told me it needed to be handled with a PayPal claim.

If you're going to make a statement like that, cite specifics. I was starting to believe you up until this, but you lost credibility in my opinion.
I have two of the Beta v2's, and think they're great

knife117

Newly Enlightened
[/B]
If you're going to make a statement like that, cite specifics. I was starting to believe you up until this, but you lost credibility in my opinion.
I have two of the Beta v2's, and think they're great

Specifics about what? I've been telling the truth about everything. I got the scratched reflector light and immediately sent him an email. I sent another email the next day and still no response. After about 5 days from getting the scratched reflector light, I filed the PayPal dispute. No response to that after a day, so I figured he wasn't going to do anything about the issue. That's when I escalated it to a PayPal claim.

Mmassey338

Newly Enlightened
When I quoted you, I bolded the phrase I was questioning. Something about what you've heard. Hearsay. Innuendo. Not your experience. Rumor.

knife117

Newly Enlightened
When I quoted you, I bolded the phrase I was questioning. Something about what you've heard. Hearsay. Innuendo. Not your experience. Rumor.

You didn't bold anything. Also, the thing I saw about Jason's poor customer service was on the Prometheus Lights facebook page. It has been deleted from the facebook page. Imagine that. [emoji52]

nbp

Flashaholic
It was a cached post on his facebook page that I found on Google. It talked about poor customer service and no responses to email. I can't find a link anymore.

I just thought with a blanket statement about others having problems with Jason's products and getting no responses or support from him maybe you had some evidence of that happening.

I'm not saying you didn't have this experience, only that as has been noted, this situation seems to me (can't speak for others) to be an outlier when it comes to Jason's customer service record. If that is the case, is there a specific reason for it? Jason would be the only one to answer that.

Raze

Enlightened
I have a couple of lights from Jason, and it has been good so far. That includes the correspondence with him. He does run his business as a one-man show though, and he might get occupied.

I would be upset in getting a $300 light that has obvious flaws too, I hear ya. But let's give Jason the benefit of the doubt and let him chime in. I believe he can sort this out properly.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I've been waiting to see if he does. Certainly nobody here preventing it. He may not wish to deal with this customer any more but I would be curious what he says.

Mmassey338

Newly Enlightened
You didn't bold anything. Also, the thing I saw about Jason's poor customer service was on the Prometheus Lights facebook page. It has been deleted from the facebook page. Imagine that. [emoji52]

Read my post #30, and notice in the quote of what you said that part is bold.
After the way you've acted here in public, I can only imagine how you acted in private. I would not want to do business with you either.

Good luck. :dedhorse:

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
knife117, A few questions for you. I don't know anyone from Prometheus Lights, nor you, but maybe with your answers you can shed some light on this transaction.

When did you place and pay for your order? As close to the exact date as possible. When did you receive the light? When did you notify Prometheus Lights for the issues you have shown in pictures provided here? Any dates of correspondences between you and them.

The reason for my questions are that PayPal has a 45 day window to file a claim from date of purchase. If you were coming up on the date, I can understand the concern. If I don't receive responses from vendors in a timely fashion I also get antsy.

As for Prometheus, I'm sure that some members here have notified them of the threads posted. Unless there are unseen circumstances, the lack of a response speaks louder than words.

knife117

Newly Enlightened
I've been waiting to see if he does. Certainly nobody here preventing it. He may not wish to deal with this customer any more but I would be curious what he says.

I don't care if he does. I just wanted to let others know about my experience. Jason needs to improve his customer service. My gut tells me that he intentionally sent the bad reflector back to me. If not, he just doesn't care at all about quality control.

knife117

Newly Enlightened
knife117, A few questions for you. I don't know anyone from Prometheus Lights, nor you, but maybe with your answers you can shed some light on this transaction.

When did you place and pay for your order? As close to the exact date as possible. When did you receive the light? When did you notify Prometheus Lights for the issues you have shown in pictures provided here? Any dates of correspondences between you and them.

The reason for my questions are that PayPal has a 45 day window to file a claim from date of purchase. If you were coming up on the date, I can understand the concern. If I don't receive responses from vendors in a timely fashion I also get antsy.

As for Prometheus, I'm sure that some members here have notified them of the threads posted. Unless there are unseen circumstances, the lack of a response speaks louder than words.

It was about a month from the original purchase to when I filed the claim. I didn't want to wait any longer. The communication with Jason was very quick for the return of the first light, but then he never responded to my emails for the second light. After waiting 5 days and no response, I filed the dispute. Then I filed a claim a day later.

Status
Not open for further replies.