Red emitter lights

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm rarely stumped when it comes to finding a good light for my needs but this one's been tough. I have a Surefire L1 with a red emitter that I use at work and wanted to get one for a friend. Red L1s are getting hard to come by so I figured I'd just get the modern alternative.

Does a modern alternative to a red emitter L1 exist?

Ocelot808

Enlightened
If you want a pure deep red the Emisar D4v2 fits the bill for $40 (need an 18650 for it). Link below just select "SST-20 Deep Red 660nm" from the LED selection menu.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting option but the operation is no where near as intuitive as a gas pedal or single mode light. Maybe it can be single mode? I haven't messed with that firmware.
If you want a pure deep red the Emisar D4v2 fits the bill for $40 (need an 18650 for it). Link below just select "SST-20 Deep Red 660nm" from the LED selection menu.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Noctigon has a red option for most of their lights, either aux, or a main.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a deep red Malkoff drop in, in a Surefire C2 from a group buy, and old Surefire KL1 red, a red Streamlight pen light.. two actually.. ( 2 x AAAA batteries) and a red Surefire Aviator. Those are some options. I also have a couple of red Inova keychain lights, one is a Photon 2 (CR2032) from the early 2000's and the other is the newest model. I also have some Sofirn deep red (CO1's?). They run on 1AAA. Red is really cool for preserving night vision IMO, and I've always used them in security work or being a soldier dork. :)

Ocelot808

Enlightened
Interesting option but the operation is no where near as intuitive as a gas pedal or single mode light. Maybe it can be single mode? I haven't messed with that firmware.
Everyone gives Anduril a bad rap because of its customization options and modes makes it seem overly complex. None of those options or modes are necessary to actually use the light.

The crux of the biscuit is this: actual operation of an Anduril light is dead nuts simple:

Click for ON. Click for OFF.
While on, hold the button for ramping brightness.
It turns back ON at exactly the last brightness you switched it OFF with.

That's IT. Easy Peasy.

Hank lights (Emisar/Noctigon) are solidly built high quality durable designs. Hank himself is a longtime enthusiast and hand assembles each light tailored to a wide variety of top quality emitter choices. I have several that have endured years of rugged tool use without a single failure or defect.

You will need to source an unprotected flat top 18650 battery like a Samsung 30Q and a simple charger and be all in for just over $50, a solid value.

If you wanted something really small, you could try the KC1 Keychain light ($15) that is dual fuel and can run a single AAA or 10440 lithium rechargeable. It's a single mode twisty, as simple as it gets.

If you want your light in 2 days or so you can buy from his US based dealer in Hawaii, a really great guy named Jackson Lee. [ www.jlhawaii808.com ] He is legendary for customer service and advice on anything flashlight related. Great on the phone.

Give it a try.

Last edited:

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Lupine has a red mode however I don't know how to use the only button to find it. I already messed things up to the point where it lost the factory defulty settings.

Illumenationz

Newly Enlightened
I currently own red lenses that fit onto the end of the flashlight hood so as long as the hood diameter fits within the rubber cap which contains the red lens, you can turn any flashlight into one with red beam color. That said, the beam isn't as red as a red emitter. It's a slightly orange tinted red but if you're a DIY kind of person, I'm sure you can find different plastics and could make your own to pop into its place.

You can also diffuse a spotlight type beam into more of a scattered soft light so basically you have two beam types in one, but it does require you to carry a separate lens cover which is sort of a pita if you want to travel light. I have a Nitecore MH12S which has a focused beam and a slightly diffuse flood but when I put the red lens cap or white lens cap over the hood of the flashlight, it diffuses both into the two different colors, red and white. It's a nice 3 way combo to carry.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
With Maglites they sell red lenses for their incan lights but they aren't bright. Same for a Fulton anglehead. The British Army recommends putting a red colour carrier bag, probably the ones from Sainsbury, over the clear lense to have an inexpensive red light. These are for discrete use.

How about this option? Elzetta Bravo with Malkoff M61R V1 with hi/lo tail cap. Bulletproof construction, simple click tail, mode switch with a twist of the tail cap. Available for sale if you'd like.

IMG_2229.jpeg
IMG_2230.jpeg
IMG_2231.jpeg

So you can put a drop in in some Elzettas? If This is the case I ****ed up by buying a SF recently and should have bought some parts for my Charlie.
Not exactly for the modern Elzettas because they now have the light module built into the head and bezel. You'll need that old ZFL head/bezel to allow for drop ins. They're now sadly discontinued, but do pop up for sale here and there.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have some Streamlight Siege lanterns D and AA that have a red mode. I forgot about that. They make a newer version now, I don't know if it has red though. I would be surprised if it didn't. I think I have a red 1AAA Solitaire Maglite as well somewhere. Maglite even makes a red XL50. You can order right off the website.