Bad run-time with AW batteries!

illuminate

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

I only use AW batteries on all of my lights. I use a Pila charger.

But m lights doe not have a propper run time and, which is worse ... my Malkoff M60 and Surefire LX2 do not dim. They just turn off.

The only explaination must be, that the the voltage of the batteries are not good. But why does all my lights just turn off?

Best regards
Julian

välineurheilija

Enlightened
They turn off because the overdischargecircuit in the battery shuts the battery off when the voltage drops too much if you are using protected batteries?

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are your runtimes with the M60? Which aw battery sizes are you using. Sounds like you may need a volt meter to monitor the voltage of the batteries. I never had any problems with AW batteries.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should get a multimeter and check your batteries after charging them,moreso if you use them in series. For my LX2 and M60 I get around 40 minutes runtime with a pair of AW IMR 16340s, when I get them to 3.0 or so volts they go straight to the charger.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Few points of interest to share on this topic.
I keep a few of those cheap $3.00 green display volt meters handy. bought them off that major auction website. Handy little devices. If my lights act odd, or look dim, I check them. Also there are some Fake AW cells out there. So never know. I have seen some listed as 3.7 volts, which should be about 4.2 volts charged. But really only charge up to 3.9 volts new out of box. I threw them on a scale, and they weighed less than they should. So, basically, I thing I got scammed?

latestarter

Newly Enlightened
Never had a problem with AW,however the runtime of my M61 is nothing to brag about regardless of battery used.Actually IMO its poor and dosent compete with my other lights of similar lumens,maybe thats part ot your problem.

Last edited:

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
As others asked, what Batteries are you using?
Poor runtime compared to what?

Also note that rechargeable cells sacrifice runtime for economy (ie being rechargeable).
Primary cells last longer.
When comparing the same format.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should get a multimeter and check your batteries after charging them,moreso if you use them in series. For my LX2 and M60 I get around 40 minutes runtime with a pair of AW IMR 16340s, when I get them to 3.0 or so volts they go straight to the charger.

Don't let them go to 3V. At 3.5-3.6 charge them. At that point they're basically dead. 3V discharge is under load which is very hard to test them under that condition

To the op. You're going to do long term damage to your cells letting them bounce off the protection circuit. You need to recharge them long before that

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI- information on your Malkoff M60

Malkoff M60 Drop In for P60/VME Applications
Carefully focused to produce the maximum throw in a small package, the
Malkoff M60 puts a spot of light out to 350 feet. This is balanced by a
subdued spill, bright enough for night navigation.
Cree XR-E LED
Cool white Tint Beam
Approximately 235 lumens
8 degree focused optice
Fully regulated output between 3.8 and 9.0 volts
Below 3.8v it drops out of regulation and continues running with
gradually declining output
Full output runtime is approximately 1.5 hours on two CR123 primary
batteries
Long taper as voltage drops
Current draw of 780ma at 6 volts
Solid brass heatsink construction

cyclesport

Enlightened
They turn off because the overdischargecircuit in the battery shuts the battery off when the voltage drops too much if you are using protected batteries?

^^This. I have the same issue with the occasional AW ICR and about half of the newer Keeppower 16340, & 14500 ICRs with several lights that have a high current draw in the highest mode due to early cut-off in some batteries over-discharge circuitry...usually the light drops down to a lower level and upon checking the battery voltage, find the batteries in the 3.95v-4.1 range*(65% to 87% range).

As others have already suggested, get a cheap multimeter and check voltage of the battery in question when your light drops down or off, if its still above your light's cut-off voltage...the battery is probably the issue.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the cell protection has kicked in the cell will show 0V. And the lights cut off voltage will be the voltage under load. Which you can't measure