I miss AW batteries!

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
I miss AW's batteries too. What he offered was ahead of the everyone else at the time. If he had continued making batteries it would have been something great.

After seeing your post, I checked my Whatsapp contacts, seems like AW even changed his phone number from back then.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The normal load in my 2x18650 'large light' remains my AW 2200 mAh's even after nearly 15 years !
I have a set of AW 2600's and 3100's as spares, but since the 2200's still deliver, the newer sets are kept at ~50% charge level in cool storage.

I do note that the AW 18500's never seemed as robust, having worn out two sets back in the day before I gave up on that format ...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have several AW rechargeable batteries.... and I wish I had a helluva lot more! Forget gold. These are (not were) the Platinum standard.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just looking at a protected 17670 battery I need for an LED light.

I need some 17670's too for the FiveMegaStan Hotwires!

Most of these still work after all these years. All I can find are 17650...

IMG_7871.jpeg

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I need some 17670's too for the FiveMegaStan Hotwires!

Most of these still work after all these years. All I can find are 17650...

View attachment 49507
A few of the old battery online shops have them, like https://batteryjunction.com/batteri...Rvp4KNtslKPteD2XNMGb4wrTlTkFwJOEaAohHEALw_wcB

or

Also, we are neighbors now. I'm living in coastal MS, and my new wife is from New Orleans!

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, we are neighbors now. I'm living in coastal MS, and my new wife is from New Orleans!
Thanks for the battery info, I gotta get some while they are still around.

Congratulations on the move and new wife. I've had some new ones(x2) since the early days too!

Connecticut to Mississippi that's a high CRI and Lumen change there! How'd you like our fantastic summer temperatures the last couple of months!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ultrafire!?

I know you're desperate for 17670 cells but Ultrafires are usually old, used, bog-standard, no-name 18650s that have an Ultrafire label tossed onto them. Seriously, back before I knew any better, I had a few. Plus, the Ultrafire charger. Literally the only brand of cells I owned that would NOT charge on their branded charger! Some of the batteries worked and charged up just fine, on a different charger. Some refused to charge up at all after one charging. Some would charge up, but then in the blink of an eye would plummet down to no charge at all. Some heated up way too fast for my liking. While others were just fine being used in the same light.

With Ultrafires, you are literally mixing and matching different cells in the same light. But you can't tell because all of them are wrapped in the very same label. You put those in your light, you might as well be holding a stick of dynamite in one hand, and a lit match in the other. While slowly bringing them closer to each other.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ultrafire!?

I know you're desperate for 17670 cells but Ultrafires are usually old, used, bog-standard, no-name 18650s that have an Ultrafire label tossed onto them. Seriously, back before I knew any better, I had a few. Plus, the Ultrafire charger. Literally the only brand of cells I owned that would NOT charge on their branded charger! Some of the batteries worked and charged up just fine, on a different charger. Some refused to charge up at all after one charging. Some would charge up, but then in the blink of an eye would plummet down to no charge at all. Some heated up way too fast for my liking. While others were just fine being used in the same light.

With Ultrafires, you are literally mixing and matching different cells in the same light. But you can't tell because all of them are wrapped in the very same label. You put those in your light, you might as well be holding a stick of dynamite in one hand, and a lit match in the other. While slowly bringing them closer to each other.
:) It's a rather humorous coincidence that at the moment, this thread appears as the first of the 'active' threads in this section, and the thread immediately above it is HKJ's 'sticky' thread titled: 'Disassembly of some UltraFire batteries'. That original thread is from 2015, so it's rather old, but might still be valid(?). Just sayin'...

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ultrafire!?

I know you're desperate for 17670 cells but Ultrafires are usually old, used, bog-standard, no-name 18650s that have an Ultrafire label tossed onto them.

Yep, don't really want to buy ultrafire and they are expensive too.

Correction: I need 14670 and not 17670

Some of the old Hot Wire Five-Mega packs (FM 1450L Mag) used the 14670 in 4 series / 2 parallel @ 14.8v for the specific bulb. 14650 or 14500 would need a magnet or spacer and protection circuit...

26350 x 4 may just fit with a long spring, not sure. Not a lot of good options to keep these running that I know off although the AW's have held up after all these years...

IMG_7981.jpeg

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Yep, don't really want to buy ultrafire and they are expensive too.

Correction: I need 14670 and not 17670

Some of the old Hot Wire Five-Mega packs (FM 1450L Mag) used the 14670 in 4 series / 2 parallel @ 14.8v for the specific bulb. 14650 or 14500 would need a magnet or spacer and protection circuit...

Well this summer was not fun, but thank God for air conditioning. Trying to get used to LSU & Saints....not there yet!

That is such a testimonial to AW's batteries to have lasted this long.