Where do I actually find real batteries?!

chaosdsm

Enlightened
That L7 is a sick light. Sbt90.2? Only thing I didn't like is the quick drop from turbo. So I removed the thermal protection.
I have the littokika 5000mah cells for it
Oops.... It's the 1st gen L6 with the XHP emitter :oops: the L7 was on my mind because I've been looking at it a lot lately! Corrected my original post.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
ah. I've never seen one of those in action but I'm sure it's also impressive. There's just something about the SBT 90. It throws a beam that you need to experience to understand it. Lol.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
I am using A123 3.2v 26650. In Maglite C cell flashlights 2 will fit in a 3 cell light. 6.4v. In D cell flashlight you can match cell for cell. 9.6 and 12.8vdc for 3 and four cell lights. Good idea to use some PVC to reduce e rattling which makes a better connection. These cells are dirt cheap and the cells are good for 10,000 cycles keeping 50% capacity, which in flashlights is more than you need. However on a dead short they put out 200 amps. I shorted out one yesterday, by flipping the spring to make more room for slightly longer cells, through a nick near the negative base. Let the smoke and brown fluid out. Cover any nicks in the insulation. The positive is the case which is easy to puncture when disassembling packs. These cells are usually used in high power applications. I have seen them for 50 cents each.

chaosdsm

Enlightened
ah. I've never seen one of those in action but I'm sure it's also impressive. There's just something about the SBT 90. It throws a beam that you need to experience to understand it. Lol.
Mine has the original XHP70 emitter, not the newer XHP70.2 or XHP70.3 It's spec'd at 3800 lumens, some reviews I've seen say it actually puts out 3400 - 3600 lumens, which seems about right to me.

On Turbo:
When I put in the smooth polished reflector for better throw, It illuminates trees aprox 600ft away (Google maps says it's about 630ft), well enough to see cows that are by the trees, & be able to tell that they are cows!!!

With the orange peel reflector that it came with, you can still see the trees, but even if the cows are moving nearby, you cannot really tell that they are cows if you don't already know what they are.

106Lake

Newly Enlightened
+

BatteryJunction.com 50E looks like this:
View attachment 52579

,, there's no fancy labeling or special packaging.
50E arrive in bulk everywhere and shipped very basically.

After 5 or 6 full recharge cycles, batteries can have 5% increase in runtime,, it's called 'exercising' batteries

Review:::
But why do they do that?! That isn't any kind of legal disclaimer. I realize they are shipped mostly blank but why would they cover the part number and brand? The batteries do indeed say on them "never install, carry, or handle". Not sure what I'm supposed to do with them but that's the legal CYA mumbo jumbo, and it's not illegal or wrong to buy them. I was going to send a nasty email about fake batteries just minutes before I uncovered the label.

I would consider this very strange on any name brand product. It would be like a store selling Nike shoes with all the logos covered up. The brand is literally the only reason I purchased them, probably why most others do too. Also these batteries are some of the most counterfeited things EVER!

I got some more 50E from 1850batterystore, very happy with them, only $3.85 black friday! No weird stickers.

Last edited:

106Lake

Newly Enlightened
While we are talking about it, is there ANY real life 5,000mAh 21700s from any brand at any cost? Same thing happened with 18650s, bought 3.5Ah Samsung and they barely make 3. Is there a real 18650 that holds 3500mAh?

I will try cycling a few times and check them again to see if it gets better, but looking in google other people have similar results.

And yes, I really do nit pic about that last 2 minutes of run time! ;)

hamhanded

Enlightened
I am using A123 3.2v 26650. In Maglite C cell flashlights 2 will fit in a 3 cell light. 6.4v. In D cell flashlight you can match cell for cell. 9.6 and 12.8vdc for 3 and four cell lights. Good idea to use some PVC to reduce e rattling which makes a better connection. These cells are dirt cheap and the cells are good for 10,000 cycles keeping 50% capacity, which in flashlights is more than you need. However on a dead short they put out 200 amps. I shorted out one yesterday, by flipping the spring to make more room for slightly longer cells, through a nick near the negative base. Let the smoke and brown fluid out. Cover any nicks in the insulation. The positive is the case which is easy to puncture when disassembling packs. These cells are usually used in high power applications. I have seen them for 50 cents each.
What's your source?

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
While we are talking about it, is there ANY real life 5,000mAh 21700s from any brand at any cost? Same thing happened with 18650s, bought 3.5Ah Samsung and they barely make 3. Is there a real 18650 that holds 3500mAh?

I will try cycling a few times and check them again to see if it gets better, but looking in google other people have similar results.

And yes, I really do nit pic about that last 2 minutes of run time! ;)

Vapcell 4000mah 18650
These are rewraps...
Illum.com

Basic Test

I have the Vapcell F60 21700 6000 mah $12 order for Feb
Basic Test

IMG_8044.JPG

Aliexpress 21700
Vapc.jpg

Last edited:

106Lake

Newly Enlightened
Vapcell 4000mah 18650
These are rewraps...
Illum.com

Nice! I got some Vapcell batteries in smaller sizes, they did test better than any other I have but did not quite reach capacity. Closer than the others. Anybody know who the MFG is?

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mooch test of the Vapcell N40 - 10A 4000mAh 18650
He couldn't figure out who makes the cell...

106Lake

Newly Enlightened
That is very impressive. I didn't realize there were any real cells beyond 3500!

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Yep. If you don't mind putting in the work disassembling power packs these can be had at as low as 50 cents:

I bought some of the 48 cell packs two years ago. The cells I tested are actually testing at full capacity. All told I have around 500 of these cells. I'm getting started playing with solar power. The idea is to make a battery to use in conjunction with solar panels in a non-grid connected setup. I finally bought two 100 watt panels and a charge controller this month. Once I figure out where to set up the panels (possibly on top of a car port my brother wants to build in the driveway), I'll think about expanding the system. The long-term goal might be to power my PC, and perhaps even heat/AC for my bedroom.

106Lake

Newly Enlightened
I bought some of the 48 cell packs two years ago. The cells I tested are actually testing at full capacity. All told I have around 500 of these cells. I'm getting started playing with solar power. The idea is to make a battery to use in conjunction with solar panels in a non-grid connected setup. I finally bought two 100 watt panels and a charge controller this month. Once I figure out where to set up the panels (possibly on top of a car port my brother wants to build in the driveway), I'll think about expanding the system. The long-term goal might be to power my PC, and perhaps even heat/AC for my bedroom.
I am doing something very similar, except with recovered 18650s. Right now I have a roughly 2kw pack at 48v. This first bit is an experiment, and if it goes well I will be deleting the power company! I'm just going to keep adding to the battery pack and solar panels as I have time and cells to do so. Always looking for good deals. I think I can power my whole house and save the entire system cost in less than 5 years.

You can even find surplus/nearly unused 3-15kw battery packs from cars that can be used as is, for around $100/kwh.

There are a few "used battery" dealers online now. If you told me 5 years ago I would be buying used batteries I would have laughed!

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got some more 50E from 1850batterystore, very happy with them, only $3.85 black friday! No weird stickers.
+

The stickers are for the closet case types that probably don't quite know what they're doing, or buying, or the voltages etc, etc...