Battery for Uniden Scanner??????

dtsoll

Enlightened
Okay, I am needing a battery pack for my uniden scanner and am wondering what you guys suggest I get. On ebay I can get either an 800 mAh Nicad or a 2600 mAh Nimh. I have had really good luck with the Nicad thats in it, it is a 600 mAh nicad. The 2600 Nimh sounds good but the self drainage factor has me wondering whether to stick with the Nicad. Anyways, let me know what you think. Oh, btw, it is battery pack number BP 120. Thanks in advance!!! Doug:)

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say the "Duraloops." They are Duracell Pre-Charged NiMH with white tops (rebadged Eneloops) with low self discharge. They are 2000mAh. I got a pack of 8xAA and 2xAAA at Costco for $18.50. Target had 4xAA on sale for $9.99, but I saw that in Friday, so the sale might have ended. Costco is still cheaper though.

NiCd is ancient... ;)

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
dtsoll, what model is the scanner?

Is the existing pack flat or square? I've seen it shown both ways online.

I wonder if you could do as Robin said (use LSD cells) and make your own pack.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
My experience with NiCd vs. NiMH packs covers the transition period between the two.

My general observations are that if you don't run the device down until it quits and have the means to do a 14-16hr charge of the pack periodically, so as to balance the cells, NiMH packs work well. If you frequently run the device down until it quits, NiCd packs work better, and also generally have a much longer calendar life. Actually, being able to do a 14-16hr charge on either chemistry once in a while is very beneficial.

That said, it really equals out pretty much. You have to charge NiCd packs more often, obviously, but in the end you probably get more accumulated mAh out of them. With the NiMH packs, you don't have to charge nearly as often, but they don't last as long. This is particularly true if the pack is run down to a low enough level that either over discharges a cell or cells, and/or a reverse charge of a cell or cells occurs. The former not really having any effect on NiCd's and the later, NiCd's being much more tolerant of.

The idea of building an LSD pack may be the ideal solution. I have no experience with LSD welded or soldered packs, but that might work out well.

Dave

dtsoll

Enlightened
Thanks all ! ! The scanner is an old sportcat 150 or SC150. It has a square battery pack. If I could make my own pack I would use LSD cells no question there. I doubt its that tough but I don't own a soldering iron anymore. Thanks Vinnie, I will look into that site. I bought the scanner in 1997 I think and it still is operating on the same pack. So maybe I should just get a nicad replacement?? I don't know, thanks to all tho!!

Vesper

Enlightened
Wow, thanks for asking this. I have the same scanner (bought in 1994 or so) and was pondering the same question. Still on original battery pack too.

Last edited: