Battery recommendation for Garmin Oregon 400T

zx7dave

Enlightened
While I love the Garmin Oregon 400T it eat batteries like crazy. I can go through Energizers in a few hours, and am currently using Targus 2700Mah rechargeables what also are toast after a few hours.
Has anyone had luck finding the 2700Mah or higher batteries that Garmin recommends that actually have a reasonable run time?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Hello, Dave --

Finally found someone who has a Garmin Oregon 400 !

:thumbsup:

Been considering one of those, myself . . . .

(currently, don't have any GPS unit)

What do you think of it, so far ?

Other than the fact that it eats batteries ? :)

Oh, to answer your question . . . .

Never heard of any NiMH cells higher than 2700 mAH capacity.

Myself, i plan on using my plentiful supply of Sanyo Eneloops.

Thank you for any info you can provide.

Good Luck !

_

zx7dave

Enlightened
Great reception, heavy, easy to use, AA batteries last about 5 hours if you don't use the backlight much, about 2 hours if you constantly play with it. I have tried 4 different kinds of rechargeable batteries including the Sanyo's..I get about 2-3 hours out of them max when actively using it. So the fact that it eats batteries so badly makes it almost unuseable...So here I go for a day trip to the mountains with my GPS and 24 pack of Energizers....
If you can be more specific on your questions I will answer them the best I can.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Thank you for your response.

I understand that this is a Topo model.

Let's say that i also want it to have Highway/road maps.

Do i buy the additional maps on CD, or a "chip" ?

I've seen 'em both ways. Which is better ?

And . . . .

Here's perhaps a dumb question:

If i buy the additional maps as a "chip" (SD card),

then would that be taking up the "card slot" that i might

otherwise wanna' use for something ELSE ?

Hope my question makes sense.

Oh, and how easy is it to change batteries ?

Thank you, Dave.

_

zx7dave

Enlightened
You can run topo and street, but you have to buy the software and a 2-4GB card to fit in there. batteries are extremely easy to change.

gsxrac

Enlightened
Or if you wanna save $200 you can get a Torrent program and search for them on torrent-finder.com :whistle:
And im also interested if you find any better batteries since im about to buy a GPSmap 60Cx and it will be with me on a 5 day Kayaking trip, hope it doesnt burn batteries like the Oregon!

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or if you wanna save $200 you can get a Torrent program and search for them on torrent-finder.com :whistle:
And im also interested if you find any better batteries since im about to buy a GPSmap 60Cx and it will be with me on a 5 day Kayaking trip, hope it doesnt burn batteries like the Oregon!
No it won't burn batteries up like the Oregon, Colorado, or DeLorme PN-40 which recently came out. I have a Garmin 60CSx which gets 16 to 20 hours of typical use per set of 2700mAh NiMH batteries. There are other reasons to stay with the newer 60 series and you can learn more here. I think the newer 60 series are still the best when it comes to reliablity, accuracy, and battery life. I just wish they'd make a software update that allowed geocache descriptions.

Burgess

Flashaholic
To LowBat --

Thank you for your advice and recommendation.

Tell me, please . . . .

If i buy a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx . . . .

and i want to have both Topographic (U.S.A)

AND also highway road maps,

can i have 'em both installed in the same unit ?

Does ANY map(s) come included with the unit ?

I'm thinking of a 4GB microSD card for it,
so that oughta' have enough room for everything, right ?

Sorry if these are elementary questions. :)

Some of this is a bit confusing for me.

Hope this post isn't too far Off-Topic.
Bet there are many others wondering about the same thing.

Thank you.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Burgess,

In answer to your questions the 60CSx can be loaded with both topo and street maps. I did this with Topo 2008 (not routeable) and City Navigator v8 (routeable). You can't display both at the same time and will need to need to select show/hide to alternate views. I later purchased the 24K Topo of CA/NV microSD card which includes both Topo and Street Nav 9 on the same view. You can route both streets and trails on the microSD card and the card doesn't require an unlock code like City Nav does if purchased seperately. Trails on Garmin software are well covered in National Parks, but are usually missing most other places. This is the case in both Topo 2008 (100k) and Topo 24k.

The largest microSD card that the 60CSx accepts is 2GB (and don't get the ultra version) and map segments are limited to 2025.

The 60CSx includes a basemap only.

To learn more check out the "GPS and Technology" section of Groundspeak Forums.

gsxrac

Enlightened
Hey thanks for the link LowBat! So your saying the basemaps are the only thing held on the internal memory? I currently have a Nuvi200 that I use on the road and loaded 2 2gb cards (load half the country on each one) and it works great and I can view both the regular streets plus topo info. So is there anyway to upload info onto the 60cx instead of having to carry around a pocket full of micro SD cards?

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey thanks for the link LowBat! So your saying the basemaps are the only thing held on the internal memory?

Yes, along with waypoints, some marine POI's, and settings.

I currently have a Nuvi200 that I use on the road and loaded 2 2gb cards (load half the country on each one) and it works great and I can view both the regular streets plus topo info. So is there anyway to upload info onto the 60cx instead of having to carry around a pocket full of micro SD cards?
Yes using the Garmin MapSource software that's included with whatever Garmin map CD/DVD you buy. The internal memory of the unit is measured in megabites and is used for storing waypoints and not maps. Whatever size microSD you put in (up to 2GB) is where you store your maps. With 2GB I was able to put the entire Topo 2008 (100k scale) DVD, the entire National Parks West 24K DVD, and five western US states of City Navigator on it. That just about filled it up. With the preloaded Topo 24K microSD card I purchased I have everything at 24K, but only for two states. You don't need MapSource for the preloaded card since it's already in place. You can't even read the preloaded card in MapSource, but it does have the benefit of not requiring an unlock code so you can use it in another Garmin GPS mapping unit. BTW, copying the preloaded microSD with not work in another unit as it has some sort of security feature to prevent this.

Last edited:

gsxrac

Enlightened
MAn thats alotta info. But that sounds good. And the version I have is the topo 2008 "DVD" and that allowed me to copy it to the SD card but I could only store a little over half of the country on one card. Are you saying the 60cx has the security feature or the preloaded SD cards?

Latest posts