Bay Area CPF BBQ and Flashapalooza - June 17th

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bay Area CPF BBQ and Flashapalooza - June 17th, 2006

- PLEASE CHECK BACK TO THIS POST FOR UPDATES -

Date and time: Saturday, June 17th, 2006
5pm to 11pm
Place: Joseph D. Grant Regional Park, Santa Clara County, CA

*Please let me know how many are in your party. I need to know roughly how many steaks to get.

Important Note: The front gate to the park is locked at 8:30pm, and cars can only exit after that time.

When you enter the park look for the CPF signs pointing the way to the parking and picnic area that we'll be using. There is a $5 per vehicle charge when you enter the park. Those that are actually staying the night; your campsite and entry fee will already be paid for, so please tell this to the ranger at the entry both so they can issue you a camping permit. It there is no ranger at the booth, then please drive to the CPF picnic area and hopefully I'll have a permit for you. I'm covering the cost of the campsites; just pay me the $5 that you would normally have paid upon entry.

We'll have one campsite for every eight people so this will allow us to stay in the park after sunset. However, I'm not sure if the on duty ranger will allow us to stay in the picnic area after dark. If not, I'm told we can relocate our group to the top of a hill that is sometimes used by astronomers. This will require a short carpool ride as there isn't nearby parking; unless I can convince the on duty ranger to unlock a nearby youth camp gate. Hopefully we won't have to relocate after dark, and if we do please bear with me as this is the best I've been able to come up with for a group that uses a park facility after dark. There are benches on top of the hill, but I recommend everyone bring a comfortable folding chair.

BTW, the ranger I've talked with is aware we'll have a lot of "photon firepower" and may join us out of curiosity if she's on duty that night. They've never had a group like ours use the park.

Dogs are allowed and must be on a leash no longer than six feet.
Alcohol permitted, except no drinking allowed in any parking lots.

Moonset 12:13 p.m.
Sunset 8:30 p.m.
Moonrise 1:10 a.m. on the following day

For those interested in the Grant Ranch House ghost, you may find info here, here (sounds), and here. The Ranch House is only open for tours about once a month and will be closed during our Flashapalooza. Still, you never know how far a ghost will travel at night.
:eeksign:

644e5b03.jpg

:party:General Attendance List:
- LowBat + two guests
- CroMAGnet (designated photographer)
- 270winchester
- JimH
- SheDevil
- weedle256
- dduane?
- SteveStephens
- unnerv
- HarryN
- modamag + guest
- Double_A
- arnold ziffle
- samuitech + guest
- knifebright
- dagger10k + guest
- asdalton + guest
- s002cjs + guest
- 6061-T6
--------------------
Estimated Total = 25

:popcorn:BBQ Potluck Sign-up List:
LowBat - steaks
JimH - Jim's famous beans
SheDevil - dessert/sodas
270winchester - chips and Dr. Pepper
SteveStephens - scalloped potatoes
weedle256 - corn bread
modamag - Russian torte

*Alcohol allowed, B.Y.O.B.

:sleepy:Overnight Camping Sign-up List:
- JimH
- SteveStephens
- HarryN
- knifebright
-------------------
Estimated Total = 4

:wow:Featured Lights (only a sample of the plethora expected):

HIGH INTENSITY DISCHARGE SPOTLIGHTS/SEARCHLIGHTS:
- Two USL fire starters
- Maxabeam
- Eagle Eye HID
- Three Costco HIDs
- Mag HID
- Chris Mac 1D 10w HID
- Fivemega/Chris Mac fat 1D 10w HID
- Two AmondoTech Illuminator (3152) HIDs

FLASHLIGHTS AND OTHER LIGHTS:
- TigerLight11 & 74
- Jet-1 CR123
- Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon
- Various Fenix models
- Lambda
- Aleph NG1000
- ArcAAA-CPF Edition
- Various LED booklights
- Camping lanterns
- LED GLO-Sticks
- TurboFlares
- Coleman Micropacker
- Red and green lasers
- S2K Lux3 Solitare
- Jim's mysterious "picnic lamps"

I give up, too many to list! Here's a few pics of CroMAGnet's collection to give you an idea.

- Original Post -
We've had a number of lunches and a few other get-togethers. I've hosted a number of day/night hikes plus one camping trip. Now I'm thinking we could have a BBQ and light showdown sometime this summer in a local park. I need your input for a good location that has BBQ pits, picnic tables, and here's the kicker, stays open past sunset. If anyone knows such a place or has any ideas please post them.

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Re: Summertime South Bay Area CPF light showdown and BBQ

Hmmm. . .Isn't there a park on the way to Lick Observatory? Grant/Graham something? I believe stargazers go there to do their stargazing party/get togethers. But the catch is, the party has to already be there before sundown. I think? :thinking:

I'll keep looking.

Last edited:

Lucero

Enlightened
Re: Summertime south bay area CPF light showdown and BBQ

Grant Ranch.

Doesn't have the caves of the Pinnacles... Great spot for dinner at Grandview restaurant on the way up Hwy 130.

Then again, a flashlight snack might be more in tune with what you are planning?

CLHC

Flashaholic

Yes indeed—Grant Ranch! But I noticed that it's not open unless it's for "officially scheduled events"!

Last edited:

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

Huddart Park in Woodside looks possible. It closes at sunset, but they have overnight camping. So maybe if you get there before sunset, you can stay after sunset. In any case, I think by talking to the park people something could be worked out.

CLHC

Flashaholic

How about Ed Levin Park :)thinking:) off Calaveras at the foothill of Milpitas?

Last edited:

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

CHC said:
How about Ed Levin Park :)thinking:) off Calaveras at the foothill of Milpitas?
Bummer - closes at sunset.
Christo_pull_hair.gif

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions, but upon checking I find all have a sunset closing time. I might be able to negotiate something for a reserved group as suggested.

Keep the ideas coming. :)

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think one of the problems that you'll probably encounter is that parks that close at sunset are all staffed in that manner. In order for them to have people in the park (legitimately) after hours would entail overtime costs for rangers and support staff (in addition to having adequate lighting), and the event organizer would be expected to support (pay for) the additional costs.

While I don't know of one that is real close to the urban areass, one thought may be to use a park that does have camping facilities and to use a campsite or two for that purpose even if you're not going to stay overnight. It might be the lowest overall cost. Another thought is to find a private property setting that may be equipped for such a gathering, though I suspect that may cost a bit more.

LowBat said:
Thanks for the suggestions, but upon checking I find all have a sunset closing time. I might be able to negotiate something for a reserved group as suggested.

Keep the ideas coming. :)

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Brighteyez said:
I think one of the problems that you'll probably encounter is that parks that close at sunset are all staffed in that manner. In order for them to have people in the park (legitimately) after hours would entail overtime costs for rangers and support staff (in addition to having adequate lighting), and the event organizer would be expected to support (pay for) the additional costs.

While I don't know of one that is real close to the urban areass, one thought may be to use a park that does have camping facilities and to use a campsite or two for that purpose even if you're not going to stay overnight. It might be the lowest overall cost. Another thought is to find a private property setting that may be equipped for such a gathering, though I suspect that may cost a bit more.
Your support staff explanation makes sense. If we have a sizable number I'll see about going that route. The camp site reservation idea has the obstacle of being limited to 2 cars and 8 persons per site, but would be feasible for a small group. The idea of a private facility is something I will research, thanks for the suggestion.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

There is a tennis park not too far from me with an indoor area as well. I am looking into how much they would charge to use it, and how much the locals would object to a flashlight meeting.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry folks for taking so long on this. I'm meeting with the county park service today to see if I can get an afterhours permit.

cqbdude

Enlightened

Since its a showdown...maybe we should all just go in a dark room , lock it....and the last person standing with the light is the winner...just bring suntan lotion...:lolsign:

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've now met with Santa Clara County and San Jose Regional Park officials. I'm beginning to feel like I need CPF business cards printed up.:) Anyway, there are several possibilities, and each has there own set of fees depending on things like group reservations and ranger overtime. As I'm trying to keep expenses down, I'm favoring the county parks that have camping, as they already have a ranger on duty so we won't have to cover the $45/hr fee for ranger overtime. Except for the $5 parking fee, I don't want anyone to incur any expense. I think I can do this by reserving a few campsites instead of the costly group picnic areas.

With fellow CPF input I know we need a dark place away from city lights and to choose a night with little or no moon. Also we need long horizontal distances for HID, so we have to avoid being completely surrounded by trees.

Ok, I've come up with a tentative idea and I'd like some feedback. How about Joseph D. Grant County Regional Park in the hills to the east of San Jose? They have a lot of open space and it's plenty dark up there. I'm told by the reservation official they even have a ghost! That's the second time I've heard about this ghost; the first was at a presentation from a group called Ghost Trackers I saw last year. If anyone wants more info on this I can do some research.

Saturday evening seems to be the best time for most of us to attend. The date and time I'm thinking of would be 5pm - 11pm, Saturday, June 17th. Again this is only a proposal and I'd like some feedback whether this would or wouldn't work for you. That night the moon will not rise until 1:08am the next morning, so the only light will be starlight or the reflection of distant city lights off any clouds.

Please post feedback. :popcorn:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

LowBat said:
I've now met with Santa Clara County and San Jose Regional Park officials. I'm beginning to feel like I need CPF business cards printed up.:) Anyway, there are several possibilities, and each has there own set of fees depending on things like group reservations and ranger overtime. As I'm trying to keep expenses down, I'm favoring the county parks that have camping, as they already have a ranger on duty so we won't have to cover the $45/hr fee for ranger overtime. Except for the $5 parking fee, I don't want anyone to incur any expense. I think I can do this by reserving a few campsites instead of the costly group picnic areas.

With fellow CPF input I know we need a dark place away from city lights and to choose a night with little or no moon. Also we need long horizontal distances for HID, so we have to avoid being completely surrounded by trees.

Ok, I've come up with a tentative idea and I'd like some feedback. How about Joseph D. Grant County Regional Park in the hills to the east of San Jose? They have a lot of open space and it's plenty dark up there. I'm told by the reservation official they even have a ghost! That's the second time I've heard about this ghost; the first was at a presentation from a group called Ghost Trackers I saw last year. If anyone wants more info on this I can do some research.

Saturday evening seems to be the best time for most of us to attend. The date and time I'm thinking of would be 5pm - 11pm, Saturday, June 17th. Again this is only a proposal and I'd like some feedback whether this would or wouldn't work for you. That night the moon will not rise until 1:08am the next morning, so the only light will be starlight or the reflection of distant city lights off any clouds.

Please post feedback. :popcorn:
That's sound like a great place LowBat!! So soon too :)

Here's a nice little link with a live webcam. LINK HERE

Here's a Link to a map with directions to the park

I'm in! Let's go for a hike there before the Flashlight Summer Slam 2006!! :)

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast

CroMAGnet said:
I'm in! Let's go for a hike there before the Flashlight Summer Slam 2006!! :)
Good idea! I'll work on getting that together.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast

LowBat said:
Good idea! I'll work on getting that together.
It seems the majority want to hike next to Mission Peak in Fremont. I'll post info on the hiking thread.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Since this is coming together so quick, I would put the date in the title of the thread.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast

CroMAGnet said:
Since this is coming together so quick, I would put the date in the title of the thread.
Just did so, although I was hoping for some more feedback before I set the final date.

I did check and the astronomers won't be using the park on the 17th. They will be there the following weekend on the 24th. Our light shootout wouldn't be well received with the astronomers. :devil:

Last edited: