Bead blasted finishes??

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well stonewash pretty much as the same issues on aluminum that bead blasting does. It's just a different way of using an abrasive with a machine to finish the metal surface. The anodizing discoloration is more from slight differences in metal alloy, hardness, and anodizing bath chemistry than anything else. On steel it's great, but on aluminum it's not going to hold up any better than bead blasting, though it might not show scratches as easily.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Is there a difference between stonewashed and Beadblasted
X_Marine explained bead blasting well.

The difference between it & stonewash is that bead BLASTING involves high pressure air to cause tiny beads (usually glass beads, although other media can be use) to microscopically displace the surface being blasted. Which is why it seems to attract dirt/grease, etc. - it is a rougher surface than machined Al or machined Ti.

Stone WASH works much like a washing machine, except that a large tumbler is used to 'wash' the metal with ceramic abrasive media. Tumblers can be rotary barrels, or vibratory machines. Price run from $50 to well into the thousands, depending on capacity. When the washer is running, the metal is constantly in contact with the media as it tumbles or vibrates. The effect is a beautiful burnished appearance - that's what Chris Reeves uses to finish his blades (although the Ti handles are bead blasted). The Bradley knife uses this same combination:

nk6.jpg

I like the feel of the Sebenza handle, and also like how easy the blade is to keep clean. A stonewashed blade (or light) seems to not show scratches as much, since the surface is already abraded to some extent. Fine stonewash, like Reeves uses, gives a beautiful, smooth finish. Coarse wash, produced with larger grit media, can make a new item look 50 years old.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
:oops: I should explain ... that photo is in the Google Image file ... my large Sebenza would probably make two of the Bradley's

flash18.jpg

Large Sebenza, Benchmade ?, 120P, Nautilus

I need to redo that photo, as the detail in the Reeves stonewash is impossible to see. The Benchmade blade looks similar, but it actually has a PVD (physical vapor deposition) coating that they call Black Pearl. The coating is TiCN, or Titanium Carbo Nitride, identical to the coating on some carbide lathe & milling inserts.

Last edited: