Been out of the game, need advice on a kx1

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
Its been a long time since I've been around here and it seems that a lot has changed in terms of the new emmitters out there. I am thinking about modding some of my older surefires and was wondering what the best emmitter to use would be. I've been searching the forums but it seems maybe this hasn't been discussed in awhile and all of the threads where pretty old.

I'm gonna start with my E1L. Just an emmitter swap. Same driver and optic. Is there a good recommendation for an emmitter mounted on the correct size PCB to make things simple. The head is a KX1 2 mode with cree, 45 lumen I think.

Just looking to gain a few lumens and get this thing up to date with the times.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might talk to Dan.

Err... I mean...

Uhh...

Might begin a contact with Oveready.

And stuff. :poke:

Edit: A *FEW* lumens? Rofl! Respectfully. I was on the same upgrade path you are. I was blown away. Would buy again.

Last edited:

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose the first question is, have you taken the head apart? I've always used a small butane torch to apply just enough heat and then some thick rubber/ leather on my pliers to unscrew. From there, it's up to you to decide mild or wild.

The most popular LEDs seem to be the XM-L2 and the XP-G2. I like the warmer tints and have used the XP-G2's in several E-series surefire upgrades.

Might want to peruse this thread:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?361395-E1L-KX1-cree-mod

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
Thanks for the link. Very similar to what I'm after, except the machining part. Can a guy simply get a xm-l t6 on a 16mm (seems somewhere I read this is the correct size) sink and drop it in?

Yeah I've heard they are a pain to get open, but I'm prepared for that...just looking to get some parts around for when I can find some time to tackle it.

Does anyone know the approximate voltage and current out of the kx1 dual mode driver?

Last edited:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, I would do a little more research and figure out what you want to achieve.

"Best emitter" is far too vague, as it really depends on what you want from the light. And popular emitters don't always mean best.

I would also seriously consider changing the driver too. Unless you know the driver you have will work well.

And maybe consider battery options too.

First up, you need to know what size LED star you need and what size driver. This will largely dictate on what will easily fit.

If you want highish output, it's well worth making sure you buy a LED mounted on a DTP (direct thermal transfer) star, usually made of copper. There are several about, be it Sinkpads or Noctigons or someone else. You can buy them pre-mounted with an LED and in a choice of sizes.

There is a nice choice to be found here:
http://intl-outdoor.com/led-c-107.html

With regards to which emitter, you need to think about what sort of tint you'd like, such as a warm white, neutral or cool white. The CRI rating and the beam type, i.e. do you want a large hot spot, bright spill and more floody. Or do you want a smaller tighter hot spot, better throw, but duller spill beam.

CREE's current offerings are:

XP-E2 - this is a very small LED. Output is lower and generally not found in as high CRI ratings and usually only cooler tints. Should be efficient at lower amp draws and will offer good throw with a small tight hot spot.

XP-G2 - slightly larger than the XP-E2 with higher output and a larger hot spot, but still quite good for throw. Nice choice of tints and CRI's.

XM-L2 - Large LED with a lower surface birghtness, this will be a much larger hot spot and brighter spill beam, but a much more floody light. It is more of a powerhouse and offers the highest lumens however, but remember lumens are a bit like torque with a car engine. How it's used doesn't always mean the biggest number is the best for your application. Being a bigger LED you'll need a larger hole in the reflector (if it isn't already).

XP-L - This is essentially an XM-L2 dye on an XP-G2 pad (pad isn't the same as star). This means it has almost identical performance and beam to the XM-L2, but the dome is XP-G2 sized, so will fit in reflectors with smaller holes.

MT-G2 - very large LED and high output, probably not ideal for your build unless you specifically design it to work with it.

The Nichia219B is also worth considering. Similar to an XP-G2 with slightly less output, but higher rated CRI. Although it's a close call with some of the NW XP-G2's.

As for drivers, I'm willing to bet your current one doesn't really supply the amps.

An XP-E2 will run on 2.2 - 2.4 amps for max output. Although 1.4 amps is a nice entry point.

The XP-G2, XM-L2 & XP-L all deserve 2.6-3.0amps to get the most from them.

The Nichia is happy at around 2.4 amps, although they will run on a 3.0 amp driver quite well, just get hotter quicker.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Does anyone know the approximate voltage and current out of the kx1 dual mode driver?

I have a few of them laying around from conversions I have done in the past but I don't remember the exact Vf? I'm pretty sure it was 3.2 volts but did not write it down. I do know the current though. Lo is 17mah and hi is 327mah. The Surefire driver part number is 19298. I like modd'n those style heads cause they use the TIR optics and that makes the beam profile way easier to work with unlike a metal reflector were tolerances need to be much closer. Word of advice. Get your self setup with a couple small strap wrenches. Makes the job much easier than rubber inner tube lined vise grips.

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
Ok, I got the head open and measured the current at the tailcap 40 ma on low and 380 ma on high. Cree mounted on 16 mm mount.

I'm simply looking for more lumens with the same runtime, good CRI would be a plus. Also I tend to like neutral tints, absolutely no bluish tints. Is it unrealistic to expect 100-120 lumens from an emitter swap? If not then what are good options, and is there a place to get them mounted on 16 mm mounts?

I'd like to keep this simple cause I have three more to do after this one. I have an E2DL I may go crazy with later. I like the runtime of the outdoorsmans.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the kx1 driver your going to be driving the XP-G or XM-L leds at the low end of their current output. Those Cree LED lines shine at 1 amp and up.
Also at low current you could get some tint shift into the unsightly green, for that reason I'd stay away from the XM-L
The XP-E2 or Osram Oslon SSL 80 is probably your best bet to work with the optic, it has a tighter more focused light distribution pattern than the other current Cree LEDs and its designed to work in lower current operation

Last edited:

Latest posts