Best 18650 EDC for the money

MountainBeaver

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to purchase flashlights as a gift for my coworkers ~15 lights total. I want something quality but I don't want to break the bank. Also, they need to have at least one battery and a charger with them...you don't give a gift without batteries. What is the best light and the best place to buy it? Would like to keep the total for light battery and charger $50 or less.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Convoy S2+ plus an xtar MC1 and something like this: Samsung ICR18650-26F Protected 2600mAh

You can get this combo times 15 on mountain electronics. Another good charger would be the Liito-Kala Li-100.If you feel the need to spend more you can increase the capacity of the cell but for the layman I would keep the cells to protected. You can also get a more feature rich charger. But you are unlikely to find a better value than the convoy S2+

Illumination supply is also another great site to order from.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest looking for a light with built in usb charging. Nitecore has a few options. I personally feel usb is a good choice for non flashaholics who may need something a little more self contained and simple.

Actually, the Manker Quinlan U11 is just about $50 and can be purchased through Amazon. :twothumbs

Last edited:

narmattaru

Enlightened
i`m totally agree with opinion about Manker Quinlan U11

it`s bout 35$ at gearbest. if you have points ther it cost you about 25$

i reviewed this stuff and can definetely say that you can find nothing comparable for this price.
and even without factor of price it is an awesome EDC light.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Convoy S2+ plus an xtar MC1 and something like this: Samsung ICR18650-26F Protected 2600mAh

You can get this combo times 15 on mountain electronics. Another good charger would be the Liito-Kala Li-100.If you feel the need to spend more you can increase the capacity of the cell but for the layman I would keep the cells to protected. You can also get a more feature rich charger. But you are unlikely to find a better value than the convoy S2+

Illumination supply is also another great site to order from.

+1 to this suggestion. The Convoy S2 series of lights are great options, inexpensive and well made for the price. Very popular and easy to mod if needed.

I would not recommend the Manker light mentioned. It hasn't been around for very long and I've read about reliability issues. The UI is also not the easiest to learn imo especially for a gift to someone who may or may not know much about a flashlight. I would stick with proven lights like the Convoy or Nitecore/Olight/Fenix.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the "Bundle: Sunwayman C23C Flashlight w/ Battery -Available in Grey or Black"
Like light, battery, charger in one and you buy a lot of it, so you can make offer to get a great deals.
andrew-amanda.com

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
ugh...Convoys are a great concept but they are still hit or miss when it comes to quality. Sunwayman? Seriously? The only good Sunwayman is the D40A. I had the P25C and it was a PWM mine field that finally just stopped working. I took it apart and was appalled at how bad the soldering was. It was nearly non existent.

Here is what you do, go to Thrunites website store. They would be more than happy to give you bulk discounts on say the 2016 TN12, bulk Thrunite labeled 3400mah cells and bulk single cell chargers. Mankers look very very nice. The designs are first class. The plastic lenses and hit or miss electronics functioning correctly are not.

ven

Flashaholic
What will the actual use entail? I say this as for example a duty type light, or just a general type light can bring up different recommendations. Beam type, spill biased or flood etc and the conditions used...........by this i mean i work on machinery, cool lights HURT! 5000k or less(nichia i find the best) can make even the blandest colours and metals not hurt the eyes.

:welcome:

Last edited:

wolfgaze

Enlightened
I'm curious, had you considered getting them AA lights instead? You said quality is important to you. If you go this route you can devote all of the $50 budget to the cost of the light itself and won't have to worry about the added expense of the charger & 18650 cell. Everyone is familiar with AA batteries of course and these lights might be more 'user-friendly' if some of these individuals are not regular flashlight users and familiar with Lithium Ion batteries...

Just a suggestion....

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'm curious, had you considered getting them AA lights instead? You said quality is important to you. If you go this route you can devote all of the $50 budget to the cost of the light itself and won't have to worry about the added expense of the charger & 18650 cell. Everyone is familiar with AA batteries of course and these lights might be more 'user-friendly' if some of these individuals are not regular flashlight users and familiar with Lithium Ion batteries...

Just a suggestion....
I agree. You could get people hurt handing out 18650 to someone who has no clue about li ion safety.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Thrunite has the AA hook up down pretty well. From 2xAA lights to the amazing 4xAA TN4A's. Also the new Fenix E25UE takes them all and works amazingly well at the output levels alkalines, Lithiums, NiMHs and 14500's provide. E25UE can be had for 45 bucks if you look hard enough. Same shape and size of a mini Mag. Cannot go wrong they slip into almost any pocket so easily you forget its even there

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thorfire VG15 a super high build quality light for about £10 UK pounds far better than a Fenix PD32 and PD35 in the value for money and quality stakes.Pick up a decent charger from one of the tech sites and you are well and truly sorted.

msim

Enlightened
I used to worry about gifting 18650 lights but now I use it as an opportunity to educate my friends or family about them and what precautions to take.

A couple years ago I bought my groomsmen cheap 1xCR123 lights and gave them some extra batteries. but I did give one of my groomsmen a 1xAA light instead because I knew he wouldn't be bothered to get more batteries and it would just sit in a junk drawer.

More recently I have gifted I think 8 18650 P60 setups with good cells and chargers. Everyone I have given one too really loves it. I always get a kick when they pass along that other friends or strangers were blown away by their lights. I also tailored the drop in to the person, and limit them to about 3a max.

I think it comes down to what you are comfortable with and if you think the recipient will respect the 18650 or throw an extra in their pocket bare with their keys.

D6859

Enlightened
+1 for Convoy S2+ & LiitoKala charger combo

+1 for Thrunite TN12 (2016, NW) bulk order.

+1 for protected batteries & education on dangers of Li-ion

holygeez03

Enlightened
I agree with the above sentiments for gift giving... USB charging in the light is a good idea, or a nice AA light.

If the model you choose has a neutral white option, I also recommend that... a lot of people appreciate it and never knew it was an option with LED's.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would never give a bunch of non flashlight folks an 18650 light. Education or not. You don't know who might get a hold of it.

AA light for gifts. Period.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could also go with AAA lights as well, Lumintop makes some nice AAA lights that would be excellent for a keychain or EDC use and it comes with a Nichia LED also. If you go the AA route there are lots of good options out there.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the suggestion of the 18650 Convoy S2, I recently bought two and I'm quite pleased with them. For output and spacing of light levels they cant be beat! Price? I forgot to mention the price they are one great bargain.

However for non-flashlight enthusiasts I strongly recommend an LED light based on a single AA cell. This is what I give away and FWIW I always give them away with a pack of disposable Lithium AA cells from Energizer. A year later I will send another package of Lithium's.

But, you could always go green and save them money by giving a pack of AA eneloops & Charger instead.

Neither AA eneloop nor the AA lithium disposable cells will leak and corrode to my knowledge and experience(so far) so these lights are safe bets to toss into a draw and be ready to go when needed.

Really an single AA cell based LED light is my ultimate lights. AA cells have become universal in popularity.

GOOD LED lights can often take any AA cell chemistry, alkaline disposables, NiMH rechargeables - like the eneloop, Lithium disposables and Lithium-ion rechargeables. All this increases the chance somewhere your going to be able to get one, single AA cell to power the light. NOTE: this does not apply to lights that take multiple cells, finding two that aren't from the same package is the start of corrosive leakage problem.