Best 3 dollar flashlight I have found

ElliDee

Newly Enlightened
So I was bored tonight and pulled out the DMM

With a 700mAh 14500 in the light it draws 0.69 amps
" " 1100mAh 18500 in the light it draws 0.52 amps

Haven't tried a fresh AAA battery pack yet but with this pack at 4 volts it draws .18 amps.

Disciple

Enlightened
Strange that it draws more from the 14500 than the 18500. Were both charged to the same level? What type is each cell?

ElliDee

Newly Enlightened
both are charged on the same charger. After a charge they rest at 4.1 volts and both are Efest IMR high discharge batteries.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Ll the naysayers about this light are missing out on an important point. This light is hardly representative of the best of what is out there. But when a light is THAT cheap, there is a certain amount of freedom to it. Specifically, other lights like the aforementioned Maratac and Eagletac may be better. But they're more expensive. You actually care about them like treasured parts of a collection. You don't want to scratch them or drop them. And if they get lost or stolen, you are out an expensive light. A $3 is so cheap that you don't care. So if it gets beat up, oh well. Buy another one. If it gets lost or stolen, you buy another one. No big deal. And because of the easy replaceability, you end up getting REALLY good use out of a light like this. 3AAA? Again, no biggie. Lots of us actually have plenty of NiMH AAA batteries on hand. So there really is no additional expense. And if you use alkaline batteries (whose current capability is roughly the same for all sizes), 3AAA is actually BETTER than 1AA. 3AAA lights demand MUCH lower current than 1AA, which (in addition to the fact that you don't have boost converter losses) actually makes 3AAA a MUCH more efficient option.

bladerunner

Newly Enlightened
I just received one of these as a gift and I will say that I am impressed with this $3 light. I never did care for or own a 3 aaa light due to the lower capacity of aaa and the thickness of the light itself. I also thought this light cost much more as the quality and output are way above what I thought $3 would buy. I'm still testing it on original batteries before trying enloops for free.

It's not an EDC light due to size but for a carefree light I can't say much bad about it.

ODJOE

Newly Enlightened
$3 light i can use all day and not worred i lost it. left it.
can;t ask for better .
thanx for the heads up

joel95ex

Newly Enlightened
i too like some of the $3 lights. I had a single AA rayovac that was great for inside the house at night until the switch went bad. so I picked up a $3.46 3aaa light made by life gear at Wally World. it is good for wife's nightstand. yes it's nothing serious but I already have the rechargeable cells and the most she's gonna use it for is if the power goes out or to look in our kids' throat etc. the switch and runtime appear to be pretty good---actually very good considering it was under $4

ElliDee

Newly Enlightened
Short Update.

I have used and abused this light for the past month and a half. Dropped it from 12 feet onto wood floor. Had water drip straight onto the lens for 8 minutes with the light tail standing. Dropped multiple times from chest level and tossed on concrete. So far it is holding up just fine. It has the battle scars, scraps, and scratches but for 3 dollar it has out lasted lights costing 100-200 percent more

Vesper

Enlightened
I think Ll the naysayers about this light are missing out on an important point. This light is hardly representative of the best of what is out there. But when a light is THAT cheap, there is a certain amount of freedom to it. Specifically, other lights like the aforementioned Maratac and Eagletac may be better. But they're more expensive. You actually care about them like treasured parts of a collection. You don't want to scratch them or drop them. And if they get lost or stolen, you are out an expensive light. A $3 is so cheap that you don't care. So if it gets beat up, oh well. Buy another one. If it gets lost or stolen, you buy another one. No big deal. And because of the easy replaceability, you end up getting REALLY good use out of a light like this. 3AAA? Again, no biggie. Lots of us actually have plenty of NiMH AAA batteries on hand. So there really is no additional expense. And if you use alkaline batteries (whose current capability is roughly the same for all sizes), 3AAA is actually BETTER than 1AA. 3AAA lights demand MUCH lower current than 1AA, which (in addition to the fact that you don't have boost converter losses) actually makes 3AAA a MUCH more efficient option.

Well said. I purchased 3 of these for a whoppin $9. Took one apart and dunked it in greased lightning frying off the anodizing just to see how it looked. No worries.

Disciple

Enlightened
Could you post pictures of one of these disassembled? The XML/18500 mod sounds interesting; I think I'd like to try it.

ElliDee

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure. I just know I use this as my primary light at work. For a 3 dollar light it has stood up to some pretty good drops. Highest is around 8-9 feet. The lens is getting scuffed up but concrete dust will do that to anything. This is by far the best value light I have ever found.

bladerunner

Newly Enlightened
It's been a month now and mine is still holding up well. The carbon zinc batteries may need to be replaced next week. Using this light is fun in its own way. I don't get the confidence feeling that a Surefire gives me, but it works and is almost free. I always have a back up with me and the testing continues.

okeenu

Newly Enlightened
http://www.lowes.com/pd_494829-5058...ntURL=?Ns=p_product_price|0&page=1&facetInfo=

This little gem I can't believe I found. I bought four this past weekend and I am going to go back this weekend for more. 65 lumen output, machined aluminum construction, utilizes a Cree MLE LED and three AAA batteries. Battery life is pretty good and for 3 dollars I cannot find a better light. Still too bright for up close work but as a cheap flashlight one can have many of I can't find anything else that beats it.

I am going to put a few in my go bag and one in each of my hunting/shooting/fishing gear bags.

Anyone else have one of these cheap beaut's?

Thanks for bringing this little light to my attention...

This thread has mostly turned into a discussion of the 3 AAA formfactor..particularly in real inexpensive BUDGET lights...But the people who dont care about that seem to like it..

For a light you can walk into a lowes..buy for 3 $ ,pull out a tab to activate the batteries, and use right now.. you cant beat it..

A 99c light you have to buy a 99c pack of AAA and then have a light that is barely useful(multiple dim LED arrays) 2$)

The Sipik 68 clones are.. by far.. my favorite Bargain Light..I like the look ,the feel and the Brightness,and the zoom, cree etc.
you can buy them for 3.70 -4.00$ or so ,add a good Alkaline you have 5$

The 2.97 Lowes light trades the Zoom for a really nice reflector and a lesser known Cree Emitter type MLE ,But it is on a "star" mount,and has a driver and looks very promising for a host to play with..

It has a nice clean beam and puts out
,what I see, as a nice white Spot without artifacts..and much brighter then I expected

I thought the sipik would blow it away..but if you adjust the zoom ("3w" rated sipik clone with rayovac lsd 1.2v) to "match the size of the spot on a high ceiling, ......Well ok the sipik won but not by much :)

Its my favorite 3aaa non zooming light any where near its price....

If you only had"" THE PERFECTLIGHT"" it would be a boring collection

Last edited:

Latest posts