Best EDC torch/flashlight

Barrington

Newly Enlightened
The SF Titan Plus would be a fine choice for many, but personally I find that so much two-handed twisting for mode selection is not ideal for edc. I'm more comfortable with instant push button access to high mode. As far as the expense, I don't think anything on this thread costs more coin than the HDS, at least on our side of the pond.

Gosh! There certainly are some expensive flashlight manufacturers around when you come to look at it. HDS and Elzetter (to name but two) seem to be notably more expensive than Surefire. Now the specs don't seem particularly improved over the "midrange" manufacturers such as Fenix, Olight and Thrunite. So what are you paying for? Quality of construction I suppose. And I guess the "Made in USA" badge must count for something.

Last edited:

Barrington

Newly Enlightened
Just out of interest another torch that I carry a lot (if not exactly all the time) is the Thrunite T10. I mention this partly because yesterday I managed to give it a good clean in the washing machine! (I somehow missed it in the pocket of my jeans.) I heard the nasty clanking sound as it was spun round in the drum as well as being thoroughly washed in hot water. To my surprise and relief it survived all this with aplomb. Just a tiny bit of wear on the anodising next to the clicky switch. Came up nice and clean too!! So, no complaints on the quality of construction of this one.

Last edited:

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
Just out of interest another torch that I carry a lot (if not exactly all the time) is the Thrunite T10. I mention this partly because yesterday I managed to give it a good clean in the washing machine! (I somehow missed it in the pocket of my jeans.) I heard the nasty clanking sound as it was spun round in the drum as well as being thoroughly washed in hot water. To my surprise and relief it survived all this with aplomb. Just a tiny bit of wear on the anodising next to the clicky switch. Came up nice and clean too!! So, no complaints on the quality of construction of this one.

I recently dropped my Archer 1a from a high shelf into a ceramic sink. Other than a nick on the anodizing it's fine.

ven

Flashaholic
The T10 lights are decent value/quality , the T10s is in my tool box in work as a back up(CW flavour). I have a T10t in NW at home which does not see that much use. I tend to lean towards 16340 form factor in EDC lights. Dont need crazy outputs(although it can be nice to fall back on at times), 100-200lm covers most of my uses.
Here are a few 16340 lights i took a pic of the other day, these tend to be used for EDC's. The Latest(gold 120 novatac) may get a 319a 5000k fitted. Not fully decided yet, the cool white(pure white) beam is pretty good as it is.
120p with 219bt 4000k/SPL120 /HDS 219b 4000k rotary/Haiku tana triple 219b 4500k/v11r 219c(gunga mod)/PK PR1/D25c ti NW/D25Cvn xp-e de-dome. After all this time, the d25c ti is timeless imo, great light today as it was 3 or 4 years back. Compact, nice quality and good value for an EDC ti light.

UI wise, i really like the rotary UI and the v11r infinite control, the ability to dial in the exact output never grow old for me. No clicking through modes, just a little turn to tweak to your desired output...............super useful at times!

Last edited:

Stevie

Newly Enlightened
Just throwing another one in there....I've EDC'd the Fenix E12 for about a year now. It's AA, which gives bit more punch. I personally feel that a 'good' level of light for walking around without any dark eye adaption is 50 lumens and the E12 has this level so works very well for me. The upper 130 lumen mode is not really used and the lower 8 lumen mode works just fine for looking in a dark cupboard or something like that, but it's too bright for getting up in the night with dark adapted eyes. I carry the light in the 'jonny pocket' of my jeans (you know the one, tiny thing on the RHS of your jeans!). Fits right in there and never fallen out, plus I don't notice that I am carrying it. The mark of a true EDC tool.

Other smaller issues include no clip, and no anti-roll. However, it tail-stands easily and can illuminate a room well as a candle. The TIR optic produces a very nice, wide hotspot. I sometimes work late shifts by myself and during the winter months have to walk through a very large deserted office (all lights off) when I'm leaving - the wide beam of the E12 on 50 lumen mode lights the way very, very well. Despite some short-comings, I really like mine.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

As I write this, my desk area is illuminated by my tail standing Thrunite T10. Has the power gone out? No. It's just late at night and I enjoy the thing. I think Thrunite deserves credit for build quality. It would not be fair, however, to compare a Thrunite to an Elzetta, Malkoff, or HDS, since the latter three employ fully potted electronics. My preference for USA made lights is not about patriotism, but the ruggedness of those three brands. (One could also add Peak LED Solutions). I'm also aware that Zebra light, a Chinese manufacturer, uses potted drivers and is highly esteemed in this forum.

There's also the matter of warranty. Unless I am mistaken, Thrunite guarantees their products for two years. Elzetta, Malkoff, HDS, (and Surfire!) provide a lifetime warranty (which one likely won't need.)

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
I've been tail standing my Archer and TN4A for all sorts of activities at home. I'm enjoying having variable and low levels and not having my light location limited to the house lights. I was hesitant to get the Archer because I was deliberating between double and triple A. I'm so glad I went with a double. It's small enough around the house for me and also serves as a smallish hiking or backup light with much greater brightness and run time than a triple.

Last edited:

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
I am suprised the Olight S1 hasn't been mentioned yet.

I absolutely love mine.

I would have preferred one extra mode (which I think the S1R provides), but its not a deal breaker.

Small enough to disappear in a pocket, even tightish jeans.

I guess if I lived outside the city I'd have carried a larger light, something like my MH20 for the reach, but since that isn't the case, the S1 gets my vote. I have a single AAA light as well, but the S1's moonlight mode, and up to 500 lumens, as well a magnetic tailcap, kicks it out of the pocket 29 days out of 30.

mbw_151

Enlightened
My EDC depends on the day. Some days it's a Photon freedom, others it's a Surefire Titan-A or an HDS or a 6P/M361N. It all depends on the scope of the day. If every day was the same, it would only take one light.

Witterings

Enlightened
Whilst I use AAA's around the house personally I prefer AA for EDC due to the longer run times and also much higher outputs if required and either my Manker E11 which I modified with an XP-L Hi or ZL SC52w

Marcus52AR

Newly Enlightened
Hey CPF, I'm a first time poster here, just newly registered. I have just recently lost my fellhoelter bolt mini which I loved and I'm hesitant to replace it due to the cost. Didn't want to start a fresh thread because I'm a noob and I found lots of good information in this thread.

I wanted to ask a more direct direct question on the same topic. What else should I consider that's comparable to the bolt? I'm a plumber and use my light frequently, so one hand easy operation is key. The output of the mini was good, more is ok buy I'm not looking for 1m output.

So many options and the range in price is a bit overwhelming. I lean towards buying quality stuff but at the same time some of the budget options are tempting.

Itchin to get something soon because I have gotten used to the convince of an edc light. I could go a bit bigger and a bit cheaper on this one..

Interested to hear what you guys recommend.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
One could write a long essay on what is the ideal EDC, and many have in fact been written. Maybe I'll repeat a few thoughts for this erudite thread (thanks, Barrington, for initiating it in such a thoughtful manner).

EDC has a historical pedigree, it comes from a predecessor of the HDS. Basically an easily pocketable yet flexible flashlight covering a variety of needs. Typically has been a 1x123A. The original was a pioneer in using LEDs, maybe could put out 60 lumens on high, then considered amazing. I think it had a clip as well and a distinct metal bezel. The ARC 6 was in that category as well. Note that EDC did NOT mean key-chain sized. Simply a small size that is easily carried, certainly true of the 1x123A form factor.

Why 1x123A? You get the advantages of this light yet powerful and high capacity battery--4.5 Watt-Hours. Very high energy density, higher in fact even than rechargeable Li-Ions per gram. And as LEDs developed, it has remained able to get high outputs at least competitive with bigger Li-Ions when size is an issue. (It cannot compete as you get multi-Li-Ions supporting the huge lumen outputs and high current draws). The 123A was invented by Surefire to support high outputs in its (then) incan flashlights, usually for very short periods of time before running out of juice. But it adapted perfectly to the LED world.

The descendants of this design are still there, the McGizmo Haiku, the HDS itself (after renamings and company changes), the ARC unfortunately no longer, the Oveready Boss perhaps. So these are top EDC choices even today.

What these have is the original advantages but also programming ability, when you get to choose the output levels you want quickly and easily accessible. For example, tap once you get mid level, tap twice get high level, tap three times get low level, etc. Even special modes are available (strobe, SOS, etc.). Also typically excellent quality, and some amazing robustness and resistance to drops, water, etc.

Many who use EDC flashlights have extreme and often unusual demands, such as access to "moonlight" level light outputs. These can only be satisfied with programmability. Also, these particular models are descendants of the original, by makers who were there and have kept the line alive. So they deserve consideration and respect, despite their often high prices.

Now, what do you get vs. more commercial offerings? Basically longevity, style, and faithfulness to the original concept. Don't get me wrong, you can find excellent commercial offerings, personally I used Fenix in the past. But basically what you find over time is that the commercial offerings come and go, but if you have one of the top EDC flashlights you tend to keep it and use it forever (especially if you are willing to have them modestly updated, say to replace the LED with a modern offering).

All of this sounds good, perhaps, but there are other points of view. I'll outline two of them, which are basically there in other posts I've made on this topic in the past.

One is that EDC is a kind of weak concept. In a world where we can have, and have, multiple excellent flashlights, why stick to the EDC concept? I've made fun of it actually as the misplaced desire to have the "one flashlight to rule them all." In reality, as you go about your business, you will find you want a nice big flooder, or a thin and efficient thrower, or UV, or red, or more power with a low level accessible just in case...even without going to caving, diving, and all sorts of other niche needs.

As you have seen, many are willing to carry bigger flashlights with them than the "standard" 1x123A EDC. So logically, many will carry more than one, at which point you want to specialize.

The second thought is actually in line with what you are coming to, which is that the 1xAAA flashlights have by now improved so much that they can do what the old EDC's used to be able to do, at an even quite remarkably smaller size and weight, indeed one where you can attach them to a key-chain with your keys.

And I sort of agree with this, especially now that you have access to the Lithium primary AAA, which has almost half the energy capacity of the 123A and similar per gram energy density.

As to which 1xAAA's, I have used different ones over time, I recall the Liteflux with some fondness, and the stainless-steel Fenix L01 (I think, it's been a while) and E15, but my current best is the Peak Eiger with the QTC. Now the QTC--quantum tunneling composite--approach is not universally liked, and I admit I didn't like it much in v1, but in v2.1 it's improved quite a lot.

Short answer: yes, 1xAAA is a worthy successor to the venerable EDC concept, if you wish to remain within the EDC concept confines, which personally I do not, except in certain circumstances (such as travel when I want to travel light). Even then I may just want access to at least two flashlights and flashlight types, the generalist EDC, plus one with high throw at a relatively small form-factor. If the trip involves access to the beach and swimming, then at least three flashlights to include a diver.

craniotes

Newly Enlightened
A Muyshondt Maus Mk I lives on my keychain and is my go-to 90% of the time, but depending on what my needs are, a Foursevens Mini Mk II or Olight S Mini/S1R tend to find a place in my pocket.

The largest I'll go for "EDC" – in my lexicon, that means something that fits in a pocket and doesn't make me look happy to see you – is my Muyshondt Beagle Mk I. While it's far from being my brightest light, it's the most flexible in terms of beam profiles (dedicated flood ring and throw reflector) and batteries (R/CR123 or 18350), and the tint is pretty much perfect. That said, my disinclination to abuse or potentially lose a $600 light does hurt the use case somewhat. ;-)

Regards,
Adam

Barrington

Newly Enlightened
Gosh Flashy Bazook! Thank you so much for your interesting (and thorough) explanation of the background to edc. I had clearly not fully understood the edc concept. I guess that is why this forum is so useful to newer members like me. Funnily enough the next torch on my wishlist is actually the Olight S1R - which fits right in to the original idea. I'm only holding back as some concerns have been expressed elsewhere in this forum over the reliability of this model. I'd be interested to hear of any other owners experience with it.

Barrington

Newly Enlightened
Incidentally I meant to say that I had previously thought Surefires were expensive so to discover manufacturers like HDS and Muyshondt is quite an eye opener!!