Best flashlight under $100 bucks! Convoy L6 3800 lumen. A MUST HAVE!

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
nah I already still have the now suddenly unavailable EVVA 4000mah 10amp cells in the light and they fit amazingly well and power the light perfectly. Was just trying the bigger Keeppowers as an experiment and man not only do they not fit the big L6 without potential damage neither of them fit in any of my other 26650 lights.
I bought two of the keeppower batteries at 70.1mm a year ago, and they fit only my Fenix FD40. I now check battery height on any battery I purchase as well as other parameters.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
what? The "shorter" Keeppowers? Kind of weird but will go check it out

Edit-whoa! "Custom fit for L6" it even says! Just bought two. How come these dont show up at say illumn?

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast

Edit-whoa! "Custom fit for L6" it even says! Just bought two. How come these dont show up at say illumn?

This is the listing where I got mine I posted a bit ago with the calipers. Simon and his counterpart specifically asked banggood to source these from keeppower, I do not know of illumn specifically sourcing these especially since they are quite hard to come by. They have been OOS for a while.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI the shorter KeepPowers are available on Banggood again.

Thanks for the heads up. I snagged two sets. I've been using unprotected Efest batteries so far, but I have been careful not to run them down. I'll treat the KeepPowers the same way, but I will still be more comfortable using protected batteries.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast

Illumination Supply has the older stock which I purchased a year ago that were 70.5mm in length. As of today they are selling these older one's for $8.00 each.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
This might be the only real thrower I have other than a couple smaller ones from years back. The price, the build quality, tint, and the fact that it ran on 2x26650 convinced me to try this light. Oh and the HID needs a new battery so I need a tower for emergencies maybe. I'm using two EVVA 5200mAh protected batteries and they are working fine. They are probably the longest one might want to use. Seriously though I would not use unprotected cells in this light, they might work fine now, but in a couple of years are you going to remember? Is the light going to be used by someone else at that time that has no clue?

As most people have commented I'm impressed with the quality of the light for the price I missed the **** coupon so I paid full price with still bothers me, but it really is worth it. I like the double switch setup because most of the single switch lights I've tried recently have very poor UIs that are just not intuitive and I know in 2 years I'll have to look them up again to get the most out of them. This one is simple on/off and level, perfect for this type of light that many will use infrequently. I wish more lights would use a matt anodizing like this one. I'm still a small light guy, but I like this light and the 26650 cell is a great platform for larger lights. Tonight it will be fun to see the MK34 and the L6 together, very different lights that impress me in different ways. It's not for everyone, but this light definitely filled a void.

FTG-05

Newly Enlightened
Ok I specifically joined CPF to find a quality super bright sub-$100 LED flashlight and it didn't take more than a couple minutes to find this thread.

Read the first three pages and based on what I read and the positive comments about the light, I added the following to my cart: Convoy L6, the Keeppower 5200 mAH protected batteries and the Nitecore D2 digital charger. These are all options as part of the ordering process for the L6 light itself. Hence, I *assumed* that are meant to operate and work together.

However, after reading the last two pages of this thread, I'm not sure that those batteries and/or charger are right for this light. True/False? Should I buy all three together as planned or..... what's Plan B?

Thanks,

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do not buy them all together until vestureofblood can confirm he has the new 69.5 mm protected cells. The D2 is ok but it is old and slow. I recommend the Littokala li500

niktak11

Newly Enlightened
Ok I specifically joined CPF to find a quality super bright sub-$100 LED flashlight and it didn't take more than a couple minutes to find this thread.

Read the first three pages and based on what I read and the positive comments about the light, I added the following to my cart: Convoy L6, the Keeppower 5200 mAH protected batteries and the Nitecore D2 digital charger. These are all options as part of the ordering process for the L6 light itself. Hence, I *assumed* that are meant to operate and work together.

However, after reading the last two pages of this thread, I'm not sure that those batteries and/or charger are right for this light. True/False? Should I buy all three together as planned or..... what's Plan B?

Thanks,
The D2 can only output 2*0.5A. It's gonna take forever to charge the batteries with that. Find something that can do at least 1A x2

If you're looking at Nitecore, they have the SC2 which can do 2*2A I believe

http://charger.nitecore.com/product/sc2

Last edited:

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks,
Welcome to CPF. Enjoy your experience!!

FTG-05

Newly Enlightened
Do not buy them all together until vestureofblood can confirm he has the new 69.5 mm protected cells. The D2 is ok but it is old and slow. I recommend the Littokala li500

Ok, thanks. And just to clarify: I'm planning to order the L6 from VOB's site ASF: http://asflashlights.com/convoy-flashlights/92-convoy-l6-3800-lumen-cree-xhp70-1a-and-3c.html

Question: I'm on Amazon and they are showing nothing for the Littokala li500; do you h ave a good source and/or link?

Thanks,

The D2 can only output 2*0.5A. It's gonna take forever to charge the batteries with that. Find something that can do at least 1A x2

If you're looking at Nitecore, they have the SC2 which can do 2*2A I believe

http://charger.nitecore.com/product/sc2

Looking at the Nitecore SC2 as we speak.

Thanks!

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI i was comparing ceiling bounce illumination from the L6 and Manker mk34. I clicked the L6 off after using it on and off for something like 5min and when i went back to it to would not light. i checked the batteries, and tailswitch and all were fine. i was just about to power the head with a powersupply when i felt the bezel ring turn just a bit in my hand while i was holding the head trying to look at the contacts.

i had checked the tail cap and head several times. I checked the bezel ring and i was surprised i could turn it fairly easy. i snugged it down and put the light back together; it lit up perfectly. What a relief!

I had never removed the bezel before or even played with it, so i'm very surprized it was loose. with the matte anodizing i could not even physically see that it was loose. So this is just a heads up if the light does not turn on ensure the bezel is tight. I'm surprized this light is susceptible to that. I may open it up and have a look why if i can't find a teardown. I'm also surprised that some wow it loosened as well the light is new. with only a an hour or so of runtime on it, if that.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI i was comparing ceiling bounce illumination from the L6 and Manker mk34. I clicked the L6 off after using it on and off for something like 5min and when i went back to it to would not light. i checked the batteries, and tailswitch and all were fine. i was just about to power the head with a powersupply when i felt the bezel ring turn just a bit in my hand while i was holding the head trying to look at the contacts.

i had checked the tail cap and head several times. I checked the bezel ring and i was surprised i could turn it fairly easy. i snugged it down and put the light back together; it lit up perfectly. What a relief!

I had never removed the bezel before or even played with it, so i'm very surprized it was loose. with the matte anodizing i could not even physically see that it was loose. So this is just a heads up if the light does not turn on ensure the bezel is tight. I'm surprized this light is susceptible to that. I may open it up and have a look why if i can't find a teardown. I'm also surprised that some wow it loosened as well the light is new. with only a an hour or so of runtime on it, if that.
Hi SB. That's not normal. There is no reason your light should not work if the bezel was cracked loose. There is only one thing I can think of that might cause this. If the bezel was loose enough that the reflector moved and shorted to the LED contacts. I would try removing the reflector and powering up the light. If it works that way everything is fine. If not something is wrong. The bezel should have nothing to do with your light functioning. Please let us know.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi SB. That's not normal. There is no reason your light should not work if the bezel was cracked loose. There is only one thing I can think of that might cause this. If the bezel was loose enough that the reflector moved and shorted to the LED contacts. I would try removing the reflector and powering up the light. If it works that way everything is fine. If not something is wrong. The bezel should have nothing to do with your light functioning. Please let us know.
Ok I removed the bezel and as you expected the light worked perfectly. The white insulator ring is in place. I tightened the bezel and it works fine, I didn't torque it too much as I didn't want to break that insulator. I did see that the positive connection is maybe just a bit high as it comes to the height of the secondary bevel on the insulator where as the negative one sits just under it as one would expect. I don't think the LED was shorted at the pcb board, but I'm wondering if between the positive and the size of the flashlight, normally the anodizing would act as an insulator but maybe it's missing in a spot or two and the reflector shifted enough to touch it. I'm going to look more carefully. there was some "very fine" metal dust in the housing, but I don't think it could have has any issues. I'll look at the insulator again and see if it's been damaged and in one orientation it can connect. Thanks for your message as it made me open the light right away as this one is heavy enough it could be dropped and I need it to be very secure.

FTG-05

Newly Enlightened

ASF shows the Keeppower 5200 mAh batteries as 71 mm long. In another thread reviewing the Convoy L6 here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?419516-Review-Convoy-L6-(XHP-70-2x26650) he categorically states that you must use 70 mm batteries. So, where's the best place to buy 26650 protected 5200 mAh batteries 70 mm in length or less.

Also, at the ASF site, there is an option for either N4 1A 6500K or N2 3A 5000k. Which do I want and why? I want as bright as possible.

Lastly, Options/Ultralux Package: Boost Driver ($35) and/or De-Dome Emitter ($35), $65 for both. Yes/No/Why?

Thanks for letting me ask newbie questions.

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
ASF shows the Keeppower 5200 mAh batteries as 71 mm long. ....
A later revision of the Keeppower batteries use a different protection circuit so they are shorter. That is what some people are waiting for as they don't seem to be too common in the US which was probably well stocked up on batteries from a big cargo ship in the past.