Best infinitely variable magenetic ring light brands and models?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently just picked up a SORT of "variable output" light. The Nitecore P36. Very nice color to the beam, and ~ 9 different levels. Not quite as bright as I was expecting [the 2000 lumens claim], but I suppose most of that has to do with the huge LED this light has.

ven

Flashaholic
Love the v11r, but i love the supbeam/acebeam x40vn triple quad more(standard x40 is still infinite and has 3 reflectors/LED's)

Sure you can still pick up the supbeam/acebeam x40 if you wanted a larger infinite control flashlight.
Other i can think of is the acebeam x60,this also is infinite !

Skeeterg

Enlightened
A good variable light is Imalent touch display. I have 5 of them already,and love them. Probably not a favorite emitter among the flashaholics,but I am not that picky.

HarleyXJGuy

Newly Enlightened
Sunwayman V11R.

Love mine but you say you have one and it does not impress?

You could have it modded for some sweet 900 LED lumens by the resident expert.

Last edited:

choombak

Enlightened
Peak LED Solutions lights with QTC. Can't beat on reliability, and QTC gets you the variable output.

[Update] Did not notice you want a magnetic ring. Peak doesn't have that, but magnetic ring and reliability don't go together either. ;-)

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps that was a poor choice of words on my part, HarleyXJGuy. The V11R is what I normally carry. Sure, I'd like a bit brighter beam and perhaps I should send it to the "resident expert" to enhance. What does he do? I have a CREE XP-L emitter on a star currently. I suppose that would be a way for some extra brightness?

Anyway, I do like the V11R, but favor the RRT01 because of it's smooth ring and basically lowest possible lumen output......which mostly is about me thinking it cool that the emitter is barely lighting up. That's a very valid thing that I'm sure many of you would agree with!! :-D

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyway, I do like the V11R, but favor the RRT01 because of it's smooth ring and basically lowest possible lumen output......which mostly is about me thinking it cool that the emitter is barely lighting up. That's a very valid thing that I'm sure many of you would agree with!! :-D
While the V10R goes lower than what is usable, I still completely understand. I had a V25C and it went so low you could barely tell it was on if you were in a dark room and had your eyeball on the lens of the light. It's just really neat, with no real world use.

ven

Flashaholic
How about the acebeam T10 , sure this has variable/infinite adjustment..................mighty fine looking light too!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive tried a few control ring lights and well....I never thought Id say this but the magnetic control rings on my NC SRT6 and 7 are stone cold perfect. They have much better feel than the Sunwayman in my opinion and the way the light ramps up and down with the ring just looks and feels more natural

ven

Flashaholic
Although not infinite, i do like the control rings in general, on the acebeam k60 and thrunite tn32UTvn, these have noticeable indentation/feel/notch(what ever the description) between modes on the rings with nice mode spacing.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, I have reservations about lights with "off brand" company names. Not sure about the ones you mentioned, ven.....and haven't been on this site for quite a long time. What is the general consensus about these?

ven

Flashaholic
Acebeam i like, they are a Chinese company like Thrunite/Fenix etc and would put them quite close to Fenix in quality these days. Saab uses the T10 host for the deft EDC X ,he also uses the x40 for the rev victor.

The T10 here, of course its the host and ends there! internals are Michael's magic! along with some cosmetic changes (bezel etc)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?412973-Act-Fast!-DEFT-edc-X-Enthusiast

Not seen much on here about the T10 unless i have missed it, i would bite but have enough 18650 lights coming out of my ears.

My personal view on them as a brand is good, i like their designs, their innovation(using the latest LED's)and how they perform. I would go as far as saying they are one of my favorite brands from China right now:) Opinions will vary .........

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one Eiger that has never worked with QTC and evidently will never work so I have sure Beaten Reliability just by getting one?

I have never heard them called anything but Quirky and mine is not even that?

I have other Peaks that do adjust but not reliably or predictably at all,just like I was warned when I got my first one.

Peak LED Solutions lights with QTC. Can't beat on reliability, and QTC gets you the variable output.

[Update] Did not notice you want a magnetic ring. Peak doesn't have that, but magnetic ring and reliability don't go together either. ;-)

choombak

Enlightened
I have one Eiger that has never worked with QTC and evidently will never work so I have sure Beaten Reliability just by getting one?

I have never heard them called anything but Quirky and mine is not even that?

I have other Peaks that do adjust but not reliably or predictably at all,just like I was warned when I got my first one.
QTC pill can be taken out, that's what I do for most of my Peak lights. I've never needed infinitely variable output, just one level suffices for everything.

Peak will send you replacement QTC pills, just email them about the issue. I recall when QTC was introduced in these lights, there were ramping issues. They modified the housing and those problems were gone.

The light is still reliable, since QTC isn't a critical part of the functionality. I personally purchase a custom ordered Peak without QTC - they do that for you if you email and ask. My preferred level is #6 for output, gives a good balance of runtime and brightness.

The only other light that has not crapped on me is surefire. One reason why they are slow to change their designs or the LED when the world is moving to more modes and latest LED.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak will not send QTC material to you and have said so repeatedly,they want me to send in a brand new light to be "Fixed" and I have heard some horror stories about doing so.

My one Eiger has this QTC issue and the head will also not screw in far enough to make reliable contact either,overall just a let down all the way around.

So again though I do like the lights in general and do have several of them I would never consider them infinite in adjustment or predictable or reliable overall.

QTC pill can be taken out, that's what I do for most of my Peak lights. I've never needed infinitely variable output, just one level suffices for everything.

Peak will send you replacement QTC pills, just email them about the issue. I recall when QTC was introduced in these lights, there were ramping issues. They modified the housing and those problems were gone.

The light is still reliable, since QTC isn't a critical part of the functionality. I personally purchase a custom ordered Peak without QTC - they do that for you if you email and ask. My preferred level is #6 for output, gives a good balance of runtime and brightness.

The only other light that has not crapped on me is surefire. One reason why they are slow to change their designs or the LED when the world is moving to more modes and latest LED.

choombak

Enlightened
Peak will not send QTC material to you and have said so repeatedly,they want me to send in a brand new light to be "Fixed" and I have heard some horror stories about doing so.

My one Eiger has this QTC issue and the head will also not screw in far enough to make reliable contact either,overall just a let down all the way around.

So again though I do like the lights in general and do have several of them I would never consider them infinite in adjustment or predictable or reliable overall.
I see your frustration with QTC, but did not know Peak won't send you the pill. If I recall correctly they did send those 2.0 pills to folks with issues, but might have stopped doing so (likely to prevent abuse). Peak does non-QTC lights if you ask for it, in the sub-zero through 8 brightness levels. While ordering you can mention this in the comments - pretty much all my lights come this way. And lastly, you can take out the QTC pill and the light behaves as single mode level 8 brightness light. You may need to add a pill sized aluminium foil insert to make up for the missing QTC pill.

Can't comment on the horror stories, but my experience has been stellar with them so far. Their responses may be delayed at times, but they have always come through in the end.

Even with those QTC issues (it's an optional feature), Peak lights are ultra reliable and have never failed on me. As compared, every brand has failed on me at least once, most overseas manufactured lights are excellent as long as they are babied, but one drop on concrete, and they go all crazy. Peak, owing to its design simplicity, continues to work. I'd recommend you give them a second chance, and I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised. [emoji2]

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like I said I have several of them and want to love them but am tainted by the horrible conversations or lack of positive response from the dealings that I have tried to have.

They are simple,I agree but of they simply do not work it is hard for me to endorse them anymore.

I see your frustration with QTC, but did not know Peak won't send you the pill. If I recall correctly they did send those 2.0 pills to folks with issues, but might have stopped doing so (likely to prevent abuse). Peak does non-QTC lights if you ask for it, in the sub-zero through 8 brightness levels. While ordering you can mention this in the comments - pretty much all my lights come this way. And lastly, you can take out the QTC pill and the light behaves as single mode level 8 brightness light. You may need to add a pill sized aluminium foil insert to make up for the missing QTC pill.

Can't comment on the horror stories, but my experience has been stellar with them so far. Their responses may be delayed at times, but they have always come through in the end.

Even with those QTC issues (it's an optional feature), Peak lights are ultra reliable and have never failed on me. As compared, every brand has failed on me at least once, most overseas manufactured lights are excellent as long as they are babied, but one drop on concrete, and they go all crazy. Peak, owing to its design simplicity, continues to work. I'd recommend you give them a second chance, and I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised. [emoji2]

gunga

Flashaholic
I used to have 10 or so Peaks. Qtc 1.0 then 2.0.

Now I have 1. Not my thing. The bigger ones (Logan and El Cap) are better than the eiger but I remain unconvinced by peak qtc. It can be very good initially but long term is spotty.

choombak

Enlightened
Like I said I have several of them and want to love them but am tainted by the horrible conversations or lack of positive response from the dealings that I have tried to have.

They are simple,I agree but of they simply do not work it is hard for me to endorse them anymore.
Don't they work after removing the QTC pill too? That'd be a first for me, since I've never had a non-QTC Peak malfunction.