Best Led flashlight for throw

WhizzBang

Newly Enlightened
Hi I'm looking for a decent thrower under £100/$150.
I'm happy with 18650's and want it to be fairly light weight but durable as may be carried.
Primary use is as a spotlight on my boat for channel buoys etc. so that's why I would like a thrower.
Water proof is important as it will be used at sea.
Was wanting around 800m ish of throw and about 1hr of battery minimum.
I was looking at the Olight M2X-UT Javelot.
Do you have any other suggestions?
Thnx

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Hi whizz! Check out the Armytek Predator, these are excellent throwers for their size. If you can get the previous version, all the better since it's programmable. But if you want a no-fuss light, the new Predators are simpler to use but have the same optics. Very durable, and throws crazy far.

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
that's pretty much it. olight m2x-ut or m3x-ut when it comes out soon for 800m throw, <$150, ipx-8 (2m water proof/resistant).

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Hi I'm looking for a decent thrower under £100/$150.
I'm happy with 18650's and want it to be fairly light weight but durable as may be carried.
Primary use is as a spotlight on my boat for channel buoys etc. so that's why I would like a thrower.
Water proof is important as it will be used at sea.

Was wanting around 800m ish of throw and about 1hr of battery minimum.

I was looking at the Olight M2X-UT Javelot.
Do you have any other suggestions?
Thnx

800 meters of throw, based on what lux on the target at that 800 meters?

I ask, because the throw ratings (ANSI) advertised use 0.25 lux, and, no one can see a target 800 meters away with 0.25 lux on it. The bare minimum for a HIGH CONTRAST target is about 1 lux for example.

If you JUST needed to bounce off of reflectors, that's simple. If its white lettering on the buoys, that's tough at that range.

To see a log floating in the water even 200 meters away, you'd need at LEAST 15-30 lux on it (Its low contrast) for example, and so forth.

So, what did you want to be able to resolve at that 800 m range?

WhizzBang

Newly Enlightened
800 meters of throw, based on what lux on the target at that 800 meters?

I ask, because the throw ratings (ANSI) advertised use 0.25 lux, and, no one can see a target 800 meters away with 0.25 lux on it. The bare minimum for a HIGH CONTRAST target is about 1 lux for example.

If you JUST needed to bounce off of reflectors, that's simple. If its white lettering on the buoys, that's tough at that range.

To see a log floating in the water even 200 meters away, you'd need at LEAST 15-30 lux on it (Its low contrast) for example, and so forth.

So, what did you want to be able to resolve at that 800 m range?

Hi TEEJ these are just channel markers so I only need to see the reflective tape. Any other buoys I would see them on my plotter.
The only other thing would be too spot lobster pots but I leave mine only 9 feet deep.

The 800 meter range would also be helpful to shine across my local harbour and coastline at night as there are many sand bars and rocks etc.

Thnx for help

Whizz.

desmobob

Enlightened
I had the same need for boating, and I picked up a Thrunite TN31. It's a lot of bang for the buck.

selfbuilt's review of it is here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...650)-RUNTIMES-VIDEO-THROW-BEAMSHOTS-and-more!

I'm very pleased with mine, although the ice is still thick on the lake and I haven't used it boating yet! I was able to shine it from the boat launch clear across the bay to the trees on the opposite bank. I was/am impressed.

Take it easy,
Bob

PS- I just checked the distance from the launch to the opposite shore: .36 miles. It seems I would be able to spot a reflective marker from a LONG ways off with this light. I picked the Neutral White version for less scatter in fog/mist.

Last edited:

delus

Newly Enlightened
The NiWalker Vostro BKFA-02 (XM-L2) is another light that meets your criteria. I bought mine because it can hold it's highest setting without step-down, until the batteries deplete. The others all step down after five minutes or so.
I agree with Teej. At 800 meters, you might be able to tell that something is there, and maybe if it's moving, but not much else. You might even need to wipe those reflectors clean, to see them at half a mile.

Selfbuilt has an excellent review the NiWalker. Be sure to see his throw/output summary chart.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...INAL-SHIPPING-Review-BEAMS&highlight=niwalker

Every time i see someone combining boating and torches, I throw out the name HybridLight, because they float in water. I'm probably the only guy on the forum who likes these solars, but I'm going to keep recommending them. They are tough lights. Google the name. You need these on your boat.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only issue with the vn editions may be run times. OP says 1hr. Not sure if that is 1hr total on one cell, or 1hr with no step down?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Only issue with the vn editions may be run times. OP says 1hr. Not sure if that is 1hr total on one cell, or 1hr with no step down?

Frankly, with rechargeables, the run time is simply not as big a deal....you just swap in freshies as needed...takes mere seconds.

:D

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
TEEJ, while I concur with your logic, some folks aren't like us and carry a bag full of spare cells! lol So I wonder what the OP needs or wants as far as run times. I would imagine on a boat they could have tons of spare cells.

Billy Ram

Enlightened
For boat use I believe a HID that could run off a cig-lighter plug would be most practical. 50-60w should be about all you could use.
Billy

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using the OSTS (Saabluster) TN31MB for about 2 years now and it is a pretty mean little thrower (and has a fair spill) based on a Thrunite TN31.

The other one I like is the Olight SR95S UT as it has heaps of punch and is easy on the big 7500mah built in light chargeable swappable battery with a fair bit of distance across the target.

The DEFT-X is a great pencil beam but the target measurement across is not that wide when the beam gets there.

Best budget throws for money is a Thrunite TN31 or an Acebeam K40 (VN modified if you can afford it).

CHEERS

Last edited: