Best lights for close, far and mid distances?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
pls notice: this light is from times, where LED havent been powerful at all
and, that I am lost on rechargebles...

A SureFire 9N.
Great main beam (I use it for biking), low power secondary lamp (swapped to LED as soon as it burns out).

The main beam throws far. There are some times when the 9N turbo head reaches even llonger (ESPECIALLY in forest or inside a cave), but most of the times, the larger volumen of the head does not stand for the little reach advantage.

...but actually I see me using a 2AA (1W) luxeon/Badboy light most often. These devastate any low power halogen bulb within normal flashlight range (say within 15 Meters). Are also much smaller and lighter.

edison

Enlightened
If you decide that you want a LED light for the ".......in-between one. Good wide coverage, but good penetrating power as well."; you should read this thread.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I don't have a great deal to offer except this...

The Surefire G2 mentioned is a decent light but kills two 123s in about 1 hour.

I live where it gets dark, and a buddy where it gets DARK! A Surefire p60 lamp (as the G2 has stock) on 2x123 lit up a pretty nice area out to maybe 100 feet. It let me see details that several other lesser lights would not.

That said, my Streamlight 4AA ProPoly Lux let me see just as much in just as good detail. I run it on rechargable AAs and it will still be as bright in more than 3 hours!

Also a "poor" mans SF A2 can be had as a Streamlight Twin Task 2L. It has three LEDs which are fine for a lot of uses, and a Xenon bulb which is not terribly great but not TOO bad.

All THAT said my most used light by a long shot is my EDC Minim*g with a LUXIII drop in Sandwich and a Kroll tailswitch. It has a fairly bright spot, but also great spill which is what I use close up. Around the house Minim*gs or clones with 3 LEDs (NiteIze or Ram) get a lot of use.

The little River Rock .5W 2AAA is a NICE little light too....

TorchMan

Enlightened
There are many good suggestions here, as usual. Let me recommend the SureFire U2 for a wide beam, surprisingly good throw for a wide beam making it useful for mid range, which is really as far as I need most times. The six levels let you dial down the brightness enough that it won't blind you at close range, like the TL-3 would for close up work (though it throws incredible when focused tightly). On lower levels the batteries last a while. Downside is it's expensive.

The different models of the VB-16 (aka QuickSilver, CPF LE Multi-Level, etc) are good lower cost alternatives. I've a three watt and a four watt, both have excellent beams. The five watt should be a wider beam still. Again, many excellent suggestions here already.

rikvee

Enlightened
Hi chrisbrogden, welcome to CPF!

"I want to buy good ones from the beginning so I don't waste my time and money on crap"

-"For the first, I'd like a beam that goes forever"

a nice hotwire Mag (check out KevinL's mods and fivemega's work), a Streamlight TL-3,
the ASP Triad or you could get the turbohead for the below-mentioned 9P.

- "Next, I'd like a very wide beam. It doesn't have to go far, just light up a good sized room with a very wide beam"
that'll be a good Lux 5 like the Surefire L4, L2, or a MrBulk LionHeart with an LDF lens, or a Minimag with a good Sammie and an SF F04 beamshaper.
or you could get the 1W/3W LED module for the 9P below, perhaps add the F24 beamshaper for flood

- "Finally, I'd like an in-between one. Good wide coverage, but good penetrating power as well"
'love the Surefire 9V incandescents for penetration, cheapest would be the 9P, G&P make a nice bulb for it as well, this will cut through the fog AND light up the yard...

Last edited: