Need rechargeable AA's and AAA's - Eneloop and IKEA Still the best bet?

MyUsernameTX

Newly Enlightened
I have a bunch of Eneloop AA's and AAA's from years ago, and they all still work fine, but I just need more

What is the current best product? Is it still the IKEA LADDA cells which are rebranded Eneloop Pro's? Does that still hold true?

For the LADDA, is the 1900mah or the 2450mah the better battery?

Back when I looked, there was no 1.5v Lithium AA and AAA's, is that still generally true?

I have some 1.6v EBL Ni-Zn batteries that I use for some devices that don't like 1.2v. What is the forums general consensus on these? So far I've had good luck, but a few were DOA

I also have some non-flashlight devices that run poorly (or not at all) on 1.2v cells. I found that the XTAR 1.5v Rechargeable Lithium cells work superbly in these devices, as well as in flashlights that require AA or AAA cells. It's important to note that these cells require a dedicated charger, capable of charging to 3.0 v (the cells however are stepped down to 1.5v on discharge). The charger is relatively inexpensive ($20-$30), but you won't be able to use it for NiMH cells. Still, for me it's been worth the extra annoyance of another charger. In addition, my experience with the XTAR 1.5v lithium cells in cold weather suggests that they are a good choice for AA and AAA lights during winter months; these cells are comparable in length to Eneloops and fit inside my AA and AAA lights without any problems. Finally, my impression is that the cells hold their charge well, and although I haven't measured it, the self-discharge rate appears to be very low, comparable to li-ion cells from reputable manufacturers.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a bunch of Eneloop AA's and AAA's from years ago, and they all still work fine, but I just need more

What is the current best product? Is it still the IKEA LADDA cells which are rebranded Eneloop Pro's? Does that still hold true?

For the LADDA, is the 1900mah or the 2450mah the better battery?

Back when I looked, there was no 1.5v Lithium AA and AAA's, is that still generally true?

I have some 1.6v EBL Ni-Zn batteries that I use for some devices that don't like 1.2v. What is the forums general consensus on these? So far I've had good luck, but a few were DOA

I wouldn't get the 2450s. They're the pros. I don't think the lower cycle life and unreliability are worth an extra 500 mah. The 1900s are still the best.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast

8 x aa Eneloop Pro with Charger
Amazon

Eneloop.jpg

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The usual question 'best for what?' probably applies. Capacity, current, cycle life?

Anyone know the manufacturer-supplied specs for Eneloop AA Black vs White for max current rating; either 'continuous or pulsed'? I've never found those specs, and I've looked. Regarding the black ones, they're what I use in my photo flash units, because empirical data from tests indicates faster cycle times (re-charge / re-cycle) using them. Sometimes current matters. Can't prove that from the specs though, if there aren't any specs;-(

Burgess

Flashaholic
Hello fellow Flashaholics --

So here we are, well into the year 2024,
and *STILL* can't get Generation 5
Eneloops in the U.S.A. ? ? ?
:awman:
What gives ? ? ?
< me puzzled and frustrated >
:confused:
_

TurkishCoffee

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone else have the issue of the Eneloop wrappers coming off at the ends or just me? Kind of annoying for the "top recommended battery by everyone" when all the wrappers start peeling off after a year.

hsa

Enlightened
I have 8 year old white eneloops and 6 year old black eneloops that have no such problems. I am just one person but have never heard of such problems. Where are you buying the batteries?

iacchus

Enlightened
I needed 15 AAA's and didn't want to eat up all my Eneloops, so I grabbed some EBL. Have never used the brand before, but will report back if they are particularly poor (or decent for that matter). The price certainly was right.