Best Magnifier for fire starting?

freakflag

Newly Enlightened
Inspired by the pocket magnifier thread. :)
Has to be small, light, and virtually indestructable. Suggestions?

paulr

Flashaholic
Not worth pursuing if it's for PSK purpoess. The times you want a fire the most, there's no sunlight (night, snowstorm, etc). Do the usual thing with spark gizmos and so forth.

Illum

Flashaholic
i dont know about type, but bigger is generally better, if you can still find the collimater lenses from edmund scientifics those work like a charm, look like the inova's optics from the bezel but its only 1/8" thick...unfortunately some idiot decide to discontinue them after i broke mine:ohgeez:

for survival fire starting, never rely on the condition being anywhere near favorable,:ohgeez: especially up north where overcast cloudmass may render your magnifying glasses useless [unless you have two and make yourself a monocular.:laughing:]

always bring matches, usually a match book paired with a marnifying glass usually gets the fire starting more quickly than lighting grass:candle:, oh yes...since matchbooks aresnt exactly waterproof....stuff like birch bark or cotton balls dipped in petrol jelly works also...just takes awhile unless you can find some way to color a portion black:grin2:

Last edited:

cyberspyder

Enlightened
proper terminology for these 'pocket magnifying glasses' is FRES-NEL lens. they have concentric rings that work to focus the light. as for fire starting, you'll be better off with some Pro-Force (the NATO kind) Survival matches, a mgnesium firestarter, or a lighter because the fresnel lens needs:

1. direct sunlight (this can't be guaranteed)
2. steady hand
3. patience
4. dry stuff

better luck with a jet lighter (the butane ones with very high temperature flames)

Brendan

dwminer

Enlightened
A fresnel magnifying lens is a great toy that in the right conditions can even start a fire. But as cyberspyder pointed out the everthing must ne right. Get yourself a hight output butane lighter plus some waterproof matches.
Dave

Brangdon

Newly Enlightened
freakflag said:
Has to be small
For starting a fire you need something that will collect a lot of light, which will tend to be big. How big depends on where you are. I've not found a pocket-sized lens that will work at my latitude.

As I understand it, magnification doesn't matter. Use dark tinder. Ordinary cotton wool isn't good for this because it is white, which means it reflects the light.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
For torching something small, I like a glass lens. The bigger it is, you can still burn stuff in diffused light.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't meet your criteria, but I've always wanted to get a huge fresnel sheet and burn stuff with it. Don a welders mask, and burn some soda cans!! (hey, what about an un-opened can? It might blow up/spray when you cook it!!!)

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an fresnel magnifier the size of a sheet of paper, and it can make things go poof pretty fast, probably under a second with paper. The welding mask is a good idea for extended play for sure-
Portable if you sew a big pocket in your jacket maybe, otherwise no.

Latest posts