Best NiMh C cells?

alternety

Newly Enlightened
I have yet to find good reviews across several brands. There is at least one thread here that extols the virtue of Tenergy. In my experience; not at all acceptable.

I bought 8 Tenergy 4 AH cells. Run time on my radio seemed short. The cells were used as 2 sets of four. They have had pretty much the same usage history. Three or four cycles I think. So I decided to do a refresh on two of my BT-C3100 chargers. I ran two refresh cycles because I did not like the results.

I forgot to note that the Tenergy are low discharge, and that is what I am looking for.

Second test, out of the eight: 4 were around 4.2AH. Quite decent. One was about 3.9. Eeh. But the rest were at 2 - 2.5AH. Not good! Each set had a mix so were being affected by the lowest common denominator. So after changing set contents, I will have one good set and one at essentially half capacity.

I saw multiple posts around just saying there &&&&&& are the very best. One post tested with a flashlight run time, but it was for AA across the brands.

I want to get either 4 or 8 cells to replace the Tenergy to get max run time on the radio.

Last edited:

snakyjake

Enlightened
I have the 5AH EBL, but I don't have information on their performance.
My main concern is getting a battery charger that doesn't timeout before the charge is complete.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could probably get a 4AAA to C adapter which with Eneloops would put you around 3200mAh. The Eneloop Pros will get you about 3800mAh. Sunlabz are pretty decent but will most likely give you about the same performance as those Tenergy cells. Maybe perform a break in on those Tenergy cells that are only producing 2Ah.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
My main concern is getting a battery charger that doesn't timeout before the charge is complete.

This is my thought. I've been running Tenergy C cells for a few years now, and have NEVER seen this kind of variation in capacity. You might want to check to see if your charger is terminating early (and MANY do, especially with higher capacity cells due to the slow charge rate). Check the voltage of your cells as they come off the charger. They should be around 1.4V. If they are NOT, then your charger is terminating early.