Best options for Mini Maglight?

mantonio91

Newly Enlightened
I just was hired as a CO and all I'm allowed to carry is a mini maglight. What are my best options for modifications to ramp up the light output?

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just was hired as a CO and all I'm allowed to carry is a mini maglight. What are my best options for modifications to ramp up the light output?

Assuming that the mini maglight is a non-led, Terralux makes upgrade modules. But why only a mini mag light? There are so many other better 2AA LED flashlight options available.

Poppy

Flashaholic

I believe that If I were you, I would NOT modify any standard issued lights or equipment. ESPECIALLY as a new hire!

Modifying any equipment can be interpreted as "you know better than your superiors" yeah... not a good position to be in. You might find that there are a lot of politics inside the jail, and on the force. I don't know... but maybe.

Javora

Enlightened
Review policy and procedure or the allowable items without gate manifests list. Most likely those manuals list a length and width requirements only. This gives you a lot more discretion in regards to what light you can use on duty. Most C/O's and LEO's opt for Mag lite because it fits policy requirements not knowing what else is out there.

As for a light itself, I would take a look at the Thrunite Archer 2A. I use that light myself on duty and it works well. Hope this helps.

JWill226

Newly Enlightened
MiniMag PRO, available at your local box store; $20 for 225 lumens, brighter than any other [available] mod you could do.

+1

I bought one out of curosity and later bought a second. They sit in the door pockets of my truck. Handy durable and bright for what they are.

Also If you are going to be hands on with inmates I would sugest getting a little tape (scotch will work just fine) and put a couple wraps around the middle of your batteries. This will keep them from ratteling so you can move quieter and also it will make the mini into a decient striking weapon like a kubaton. You have to try it to believe just how solid your light will feel after this. Be carefull not to use to much tape or you will never get the batteries back out. Just do one wrap at a time ant test it untill you get a nice snug fit but the batteries will still slide out.

Slap your hand with it before and after you add the tape to feel the difference.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
As Javora said, read what it is that is actually your limiting factor(s), and then, you can make an informed decision.

Until that point, you're just guessing.

:D

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the main problem is, that modding an 2*AA light, and especially the MiniMag, WAS of importance, when all that "white led thing" started,
so, for the ones who remember, before Fenix entered and stomped the Market
Now - years after! - there are so many better lights, than modded Minimags, available, that noone is doing actual mods.

terralux insert has already been mentionned ...
another possibility could be an MJLED (original, not model 2) - if You happen to find one somewhere. But it will not be this brighter

or the best "insert": ask at Sandwich Shoppe (the led guy) if they still have one of their "pills" around,
and/or search in here. There were threads like: "guide to Minimag modding" ... which explain everything (that was extreme at that time)

And when whoever "allows" a light / personal equipment is a tech guy, then You could try to explain:
* normal, actual Led lights have a clicky switch at the end - so can not accidentially switch themselves ON in pocket,
* typically offer two (or three, or ...) levels of output - so can be "adjusted" to the actual task ("paperwork" [level low], moving around [med], checking dark rooms [high])
* have no bulbs to :poof: (in MY experience Minimag AA was ~5 hours = 1.5 sets of rechargeable batteries)
* even with end cap/switch are still smaller than Minimag - better to pocket

... possibly it is not even sooo easy to get the incan one anymore, and there now are led models of the Minimag
(which I hate for being unnecesary long and for coming 5 years late, but for non experts the difference will be very difficult to spot)
and they still are Minimags, even when giving light from a led.
(... mentionned from StarHalo already)

crucialcolin

Newly Enlightened
Yeah there seems to be beter options then modding mini mags now. Especially if your starting new.

With that said TerraLux kits are option because of their plug in nature(similar to changing out a bulb) but I'm not sure about there reliability. I myself have recently suffered from the little clear plastic part melting off the top of the emitter(TLE-5EX model) and there's been a few reports of bent pins due to the rotating head.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
THIS HERE
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=338
is what I was referring to.

If You check price, You will quickly understand, why lights like the original Fenix has such a tremendous effect, when they finally hit the market.

Still I think Wayne might possibly be willing to build one ...
(You could also ask here on CPF in the sub-forum for Sandwich Shoppe (in CPF custom & modified)

gunga

Flashaholic
I've got a sandwich for the Mini mag available if you like. It has the madmax light driver and a high cri Seoul led. I can also swap to xpg or XML if you like. I don't see any replies from the OP though.