best tactical under 30 bucks?

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
one part i dislike about the rat is it hurts my thumb to flip it open.

You can do some searching and find different studs. You will find lots of people have complained about it. Also maybe a video on how to loosen it a little. It'll break in

raggie33

*the raggedier*
You can do some searching and find different studs. You will find lots of people have complained about it. Also maybe a video on how to loosen it a little. It'll break in
cool ty would my no name whetstone 1000/6000 and a leather stroup be ok to maintaine it or should i get a brand name whetstone or another grit? .ps ty for all the info

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't need high dollar stuff to sharpen. Heck I used the filament out of a high pressure sodium bulb for years to touch up knives. : D

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Don't need high dollar stuff to sharpen. Heck I used the filament out of a high pressure sodium bulb for years to touch up knives. : D
cool i like simple are they like from street lights? are town went to led street lights. it was crazy it only took em 15 minutes or so per light and there crazy bright

ledbetter

Enlightened
I can't remember the name of the custom knife maker who forged 51200 ball bearings into high dollar hunting knives, but he always told his customers they could go find a smooth river rock to touch up his knives. A variety of sources will work, some better than others, it's the consistent angle that's important and that comes with practice.

Ed Fowler! Is the guy

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't remember the name of the custom knife maker who forged 51200 ball bearings into high dollar hunting knives, but he always told his customers they could go find a smooth river rock to touch up his knives. A variety of sources will work, some better than others, it's the consistent angle that's important and that comes with practice.

Lots of makers use 52100 ball bearings. 52100 is excellent. Sounds like something Ed Fowler would say as he is keen on just using fine India stones to touch up knives due to his excellent and time proven heat treat technique. 60 years experience if I'm not mistaken or have him confused.

Looks like I was typing as you edited. Haha

ledbetter

Enlightened
Lots of makers use 52100 ball bearings. 52100 is excellent. Sounds like something Ed Fowler would say as he is keen on just using fine India stones to touch up knives due to his excellent and time proven heat treat technique. 60 years experience if I'm not mistaken or have him confused.

Looks like I was typing as you edited. Haha
I have some old AG Russell India stones which are nice but I tend to use the spyderco processed stones because they're faster and work with water. And if I get really lazy, I touch up with a diamond stone!

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
cool ty would my no name whetstone 1000/6000 and a leather stroup be ok to maintaine it or should i get a brand name whetstone or another grit? .ps ty for all the info

With your RAT, your stones and your strop, you've effectively solved the pocket knife problem for life. That's all anyone needs. Some of us go a little crazy with the hobby, but that's all it really is--a hobby.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
what edge angle does a rat 1 use from factory?google was no help

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've heard both 17, as well as 20. I'm inclined to believe the 17.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i have a lansky sharpmaker fake. it only has 20 and 25 angle. am i out of luck ? if not what angle do i use

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly raggie most of my knives that I use often and reprofile get a 20 degree as it's a pretty good long lasting edge. It won't require as much upkeep as a 15 degree.

If you run your rat using that 20 degree FINE edge instead of the coarse it will get it good and sharp shouldn't hurt anything.