best tactical under 30 bucks?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Honestly raggie most of my knives that I use often and reprofile get a 20 degree as it's a pretty good long lasting edge. It won't require as much upkeep as a 15 degree.

If you run your rat using that 20 degree FINE edge instead of the coarse it will get it good and sharp shouldn't hurt anything.
cool ty

raggie33

*the raggedier*
so much to learn my last knifes cost me only like 12 bucks! and that was for a entire set lol. im hooked on knifes now i guess i like all tools . tomorow my lansky will arive plus new fishing line some crazy 8 ply stuff. i have not had fishing line for a year.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well now i own 2 d2 knifes on 440c and a aus8 i payed less then 1 hundred for them all. but i never go to concerts or movies or out to eat in nice places .well once in a while i do arbys if i have a coupon. plus as said before my health scare looks to be over for a while. so i treated my self

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Studies show that narrower bevels provide better edge retention during normal cutting tasks than more obtuse bevels. There is a limit, of course. At some point the edge becomes so thin that it is fragile. With most steels, this won't be an issue unless you go lower than 10 degrees per side or so. Call it 12 dps to be safe. However, if your choice is between 20 and 25, always go with 20. It will stay sharp longer, sharpen easier, and there will still be plenty of steel supporting the apex. If it were my knife, I would bevel it at 17 dps, use it fearlessly and strop it regularly.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i may be likeing knifes as much as lights no batterys woohoo

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If you get into fixed-blade knives.... There are custom sheaths though. :D

raggie33

*the raggedier*
budget knifes are insane i have a d2 steel knife with ball bearing pivots comeing for 45 bucks shiped! but theres more! becuase its 2 knifes for that price lol its 2 ganzos fh51

ledbetter

Enlightened
budget knifes are insane i have a d2 steel knife with ball bearing pivots comeing for 45 bucks shiped! but theres more! becuase its 2 knifes for that price lol its 2 ganzos fh51
I realize they are a bargain and some are pretty well made, but these are all Chinese products that I refuse to purchase. I'd rather buy used made in Japan or USA for the same money if I couldn't afford a new product.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I realize they are a bargain and some are pretty well made, but these are all Chinese products that I refuse to purchase. I'd rather buy used made in Japan or USA for the same money if I couldn't afford a new product.
i understand for sure

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Definitely.

Unfortunately all future Al Mar knives will be made in China, instead of Japan. Time to start hunting down used ones on eBay.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would rather buy American anytime. Preferably hand forged or hand made. That being said, The rat is made in Taiwan and the Taiwanese make very good knives, bikes, parts.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol i was excied waited and waited today i see no movement on knifes. i go to call amazon and phone would not work. i try to call phone carrier a course that did not work i use there onine chat. they try me to tell many things that didnt work they said to call there second teir tech suport . i told them i dont have another phone. . and now my stomach issues was bothering me. today sucked lol. and that lansky sharpner kind of sucks no matter how tight i tighten the screws the knifes moves. dang knife almost feel on bare foot. but now im cooking bean soup to help with stomach issues

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, man. You gotta watch out for the digits. I don't own the Lansky, but the clamp works exactly the same way as my Tormek knife jig. The front screw needs to be tightened down, but this is not what provides the real clamping power. That's the rear jacking screw. On the Lansky, it's the one in red. Once you fix the knife in place with the front screw (best to use a screw driver), tighten the red screw with your fingers. It doesn't need extreme pressure, but snug it up. It should hold a pocket knife easily.

It that still doesn't work, wrap a small piece of duct tape or gorilla tape around the spine of the knife before putting it in the clamp. That should provide a little extra grip.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i been doing as you say. but if i put the blade far enough into the mount. the stone hits the mount. when i pull out blade enough it slips in mount. then i noticed if you dont put the blade into the mount the same postion everytime it changes angle.im saving for a sharpmaker

i been doing as you say. but if i put the blade far enough into the mount. the stone hits the mount. when i pull out blade enough it slips in mount. then i noticed if you dont put the blade into the mount the same postion everytime it changes angle.im saving for a sharpmaker

Grab a small kitchen knife or small pocket knife and practice freehand. Softer steel will make it much easier to raise a burr, etc. Watch videos on the basic technique. You can learn in a couple hours. Once learned it's a skill that will last you a lifetime.

You can still use all the angle helpers and power sharpeners to work faster, but if you ever are in the field or just need a touch up, a small stone and your new skill equals a shaving sharp knife.

Besides, chicks dig men who know how to sharpen knives. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
ps tynfor your offer. but i must reject it ive got so much help on this forum id hate to accept more. this forum rocks

I'm not proud. I'll accept all the help i can get. Just getting back into folders again and stated reading all the threads