Bin Coding: Color, Flux and Vf Charts and Links for Popular White LEDs

eangler

Newly Enlightened
Re: Bin Coding: Color, Flux, Vf Charts, Links (Luxeon, XLamp, SSC Z-Power/Acriche, Os

This is an excellent post. Very useful for noobies like me for sure. I wonder if you have the two spreadsheet like files in excel or csv format or something like that? I would like to build my own database and it would save me some typing.

Thanks.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Bin Coding: Color, Flux, Vf Charts, Links (Luxeon, XLamp, SSC Z-Power/Acriche, Os

DiFiorentino, any chance you could add the Luminus Phlatlight bins as well as the latest tint binning to come from Cree for the XP-G product line?

:bow: :bow: :popcorn:

Gryloc

Enlightened

DFiorentino,

I love this thread (so useful and time saving). You saved me from searching through the many pdf datasheets of different brands and types on the web.

Sorry to bug you, but could you please repair or re-post some of the pictures in your main post. The thumbnails (and the links) are not showing up. Thanks, and keep up the great work! :twothumbs

-Tony

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm, been a little while since I posted or even logged on for that matter. :whistle:

I'll see what's up with the links and whatnot this weekend. Work and migraines are keeping me down at the moment.

-DF

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hope you feel better soon. Take care of yourself!
I'll see what's up with the links and whatnot this weekend. Work and migraines are keeping me down at the moment.

-DF

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, this weekend didn't happen as I intended as I worked straight through it. But, while I'm at it, is there any other LED bins people would like me to add/update? I heard a request for Luminus. Any others?

-DF

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast

Let me start by saying this is a useful thread I hit it often. Right now I seem to be having some trouble with a couple of the pics though. The cree cool white and a couple of others. They only show a red X on my screen and when I click all that appears is the image shack home page, no picture.

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fixed some of the links, added some links, updated the flux and vf charts. I'm still trying to free up some time to finish the remaining bin charts. :eek:

-DF

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the update. I use this thread often. I have never been able to find color charts with the actual colors in them anywhere else.

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please note the change in thread title.

I'm working on the remaining charts right now.

-DF

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okie Dokie, after inputting some 500+ coordinates, I think I'm done for the day. The ANSI and MPL-EZW/MC-E charts are up with some other tidbits and corrections added. Next up (I have no idea when), Luminus charts...

-DF

Al Combs

Enlightened
Thank you and great work you've done over the years on your LED Bin Coding thread. +1 to vestureofblood's comments about the usefulness of this thread. I refer to it constantly as well.:thumbsup: Much more useful than the b&w cie charts you can download from the LED manufacturers. Can't wait to see the ones for Luminus.:popcorn:

I did notice one thing. The chart for "Osram Ostar (LE W Exx)" is a duplication of the "Ostar (LE CW Exxx) (Warm White)" chart. I paged through the list on imageshack but could only find a preliminary version of it overlaid on an old style Luxeon chart. I still have the original one I downloaded from this thread with the overlaid color temperature index markers if you need it.

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fixed the Ostar link. I'm not sure why Imageshack is randomly dumping my pics... :shrug:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted to give my thanks!

Really appreciate the hard work you've done to bring all this valuable information together in one place!

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some more corrections made and Bridglux LED Array data posted.

OK, I think I'm done for a little while... :sweat:

-DF

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
This charts are really great. I use them all the time when buying new emitters. Great work, very useful :twothumbs.

rayman

Midnight Oil

Enlightened
I posted the following in a thread in the General Flashlight Discussion section, but it seems the thread has not been active for a while, so I thought I reproduce it here so I can be educated. My post is regarding member Illum's earlier post...

Illum,

I'm new to led flashlights. I just received my ET P100A2 NW and I like it very much; it's a great deal for the price. Despite my newly given "enlightened" status, I'm still very much in the dark. I have several questions, after reading your post with the pictures showing different emitters coated with different amount of yellow phosphor.

1. What other parameters beside the amount of yellow phosphor determine the color bin and thus the tint of a led? If the amount of yellow phosphor is the only factor that determines its tint, why are the NW and WW leds usually of a lower flux bin compared to their cool counterparts? Why don't one get say a XP-E R2 NW or WW just by slapping more yellow phosphor onto an otherwise CW led? Or is it that the very process of putting on more phosphor decreases the light output of the led, lowers its efficienty, and thus bump down its flux bin?

2. For mid-range lights (talking about cost) , why are the NW and WW leds usually one or even two flux bins lower than the CW leds? Is it because there is less demand for them as they don't appear to be as bright?

3. What is it about the led manufacturing process that is so variable that there is a color bin lottery? Why don't manufacturers just make and sell them in separate color bin batches?

Thanks for your time.