Bin Coding: Color, Flux and Vf Charts and Links for Popular White LEDs

eatkabab

Newly Enlightened
excellent work! I thank you very much for this condensed information.

flashflood

Enlightened
Just discovered this wonderful thread.

Question: is there any good way to determine the tint of a light you already have? I have lights of many different tints, and I'd like to "bin" them to quantify which tints I like. It seems like just eyeballing it -- that is, comparing what the light looks like shining on the wall to the various squares on the ANSI tint chart on my computer screen -- wouldn't be very accurate.

Any suggestions for how to do better?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think - with our eyes - it not possibe to do any more than put them into classes:

cold - neutral - warm

robrick

Newly Enlightened
When selecting paint colors for interiors, we select them under the light that will be used. Different colors and different paint formulas are affected differently. Two paint chips of the same colar made by two different companies may look the same under one light source, and different under another light source. At night are we looking for color accuracy, or max light for enhanced vision?

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
At night are we looking for color accuracy, or max light for enhanced vision?

You tell me. Different applications require different tools. Given today's technology you'll have to pick between max lumen output or optimal color rendition. I'm highly indecisive which is why I'm a neutral LED fan and split the difference. :p Seriously though, I always make this recommendation to friends: going the distance = max lumens/cool, need to see what is in front of you = max color rendition/warm, don't want to pick sides = Switzerland/neutral. (No disrespect meant to the Swiss.)

-DF

fishnugget

Newly Enlightened
This is very helpful as I am currently trying to find the difference between Cool White and Neutral White LEDS. :)

aae55555

Newly Enlightened
Re: Bin Coding: Color, Flux, Vf Charts (LuxeonI-III- V-Rebel, XR-E, SSC P4, Ostar)

Thanks, great thread this!! +1 Vote for sticky

Last edited:

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Bin Coding: Color, Flux, Vf Charts (LuxeonI-III- V-Rebel, XR-E, SSC P4, Ostar)

Does anyone care about/use the Flux/Vf charts anymore? They're currently not up to date and I was just wondering if I should go ahead and update them (they're getting a bit cluttered) or just remove them. Anything else I should do/add/update/modify/improve...?

-DF

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

I care! Please don't remove them. If you want to organize them or update, cool, but I find this is a resource I come back to now and again.

Last edited:

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast

I care! Please don't remove them. If you want to organize them or update, cool, but I find this is a resource I come back too now and again.

Okie dokie. I'll get them updated in the next day or so...

-DF

Curt R

Enlightened

Yes to the update. The charts are very important.
THANK YOU!

Curt

kurni

Enlightened

Does anyone care about/use the Flux/Vf charts anymore? They're currently not up to date and I was just wondering if I should go ahead and update them (they're getting a bit cluttered) or just remove them. Anything else I should do/add/update/modify/improve...?

-DF

I still refer to it from time to time :) Thanks for the post.

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast

So timing with me is kinda reverse Star Trek code...hours become days and days become weeks. :p (You're a fan if you know immediately which movie I'm referring to.)

Flux and Vf charts somewhat updated. Philips newer Luxeon product line, Bridgelux Arrays and some of the newer SSC Acriches use part numbering to distinguish their bin structure. I wasn't about to copy every part number as it's just easier to go straight to the PDF datasheets off the manufacturers website (manufacturers links provided in the first post). Also, it seems that SSC has finally adopted ANSI tint bin structure, but of course they have to use they're own coding. I'll make up some new color charts when I get a chance. They're kind of a pain in the butt and they give me headaches from staring at all those stupid coordinates, so it will probably be next week sometime. (Which might mean next month.)

-DF

brted

Enlightened

Just in case you want to do even more work, it looks like Osram is easing into ANSI as well. They have diced and sliced the ANSI quadrangles with their own codes, at least for cool (ultra) and warm white golden dragons.

Is Philips even producing anything usable in flashlights anymore?

I appreciate what you're doing. Your Cree tint chart is all over the internet. I don't know what I could do to help, but if copying the coordinates to a spreadsheet helps, I could give that a shot.

Al Combs

Enlightened

So timing with me is kinda reverse Star Trek code...hours become days and days become weeks. :p (You're a fan if you know immediately which movie I'm referring to.)

-DF
That's easy, ST-II: The Wrath of Kahn. My personal favorite from the movie series. Not counting the newer Chris Pine prequel which was also great.

Trying something new...

http://sites.google.com/site/kineticparadox/LED-Bin-Coding-Charts

I've got my existing charts uploaded. Next up is my CBA testing. Then I'll work back to the binning charts to add and/or update.

-DF
I wanted to say thanks for the CBA battery tests. This is a much needed resource that no one else has done since SilverFox. I still refer to his NiMH shootout all the time. But it's nice to see some more current batteries in the mix. Many thanks!:twothumbs

I'm a little surprised this hasn't generated more interest. I'm guessing people just aren't aware of its existence, yet. I looked for it over in the electronics and battery forum and didn't see it. Then I checked 'latest started threads' in your profile and there it was. A five day old post isn't good enough to be on the first page of threads I guess. I hope they make it a sticky over in the battery forum so people will see it.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast

I constantly keep coming back to this thread, ...
... now being forced to search for it in unforgiven's sticky thread at the beginning of that sub-forum...

could this thread not be made sticky, please?

+ DFiorentino, could You try to keep it updated also?
;)

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the image below quite useful, given that different CREE LEDs still get rated in different colour schemes, for things such as trying to pair an XP-E and an XP-G so they're close enough to blend nicely.
It's an overlay image of the two different binning schemes for cool white, with the images scaled so that the grid lines match up accurately (though the color temperature lines don't match perfectly).
xpg_old_new_overlay_w800.jpg

Last edited: