Bizarre & Horrifying Maine Shooting

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
What the heck is this thread really about?

*Maine shooter
*Bullets
*How to write in millimeters
*Mental Health
*Actors
*US infrastructure
*College
*Mopeds
*Big Pharma
*Flea feces
*Mars

Really, I think this thread is just total proof that there's no such thing as mods anymore on this forum…
Oh yeah I gave up. I'm just joining the party.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Also, the CPF of old had a bad habit of not just closing threads, but of deleting them entirely. Those threads often contained many long, thoughtful posts, in addition to the ones which got the thread deleted. I get closing threads if they become too heated, but not deleting them entirely. That to me shows disrespect for the time people put into posting.

A little self-moderation among those posting goes a long way towards reducing the need for official moderation.
Personally, I could not stand Greta.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
This is one reason why Musk's idea of sending a million people to Mars appeals to me. Those who are willing and able to make the journey will most likely represent the better part of humanity. So we go there, make our own little utopia, and to heck with everyone else. I know it sounds selfish but good people have been talking until they turn blue, only to be ignored by most because changing the status quo might cause some to lose money or power. The masses are brainwashed by those few in power to continue doing their bidding for them.

The handful of times we managed to create just, equitable societies didn't last, mostly because those on the outside got jealous and destroyed them, instead of following them.
You KNOW a good chunk of the Scum of the Earth will sneak onto that 1M population meant to represent the best of us. It's not going to improve things.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everything is relative, they can get 1m best people, (compared to the rest) but once they are the only population, there will be just as many scumbags among them compared to others in that group,
It is a simple law of nature, simple example, take a bar magnet, one side is north the other is south, brake it in half at the gate, you will not get one half north and the other south, both will become smaller bar magnets with north and south, and it will happen every time you brake the magnet.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
You KNOW a good chunk of the Scum of the Earth will sneak onto that 1M population meant to represent the best of us. It's not going to improve things.
I don't doubt it, but hopefully not enough to do real damage. For the same reasons, roaches would probably find their way to Mars too, despite rigorous screening to keep harmful, or just plain disgusting, organisms out. Either they would fall through the cracks (literally), or someone would stick a couple in their personal luggage as a joke. The only good thing is they would be far easier to exterminate on Mars. Just get the humans out of the infested area, open up the airlocks. Even roaches can't live for long in the Martian atmosphere. If they're on the spacecraft, just do like they tried to do in "Alien"-open the airlock, blow them the f out into space (to paraphrase Ripley).

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm reminded of the first colonists that came to the New World. Bunch of aristos, none of them wanted to do the grunt work needed to settle. So if they send nothing but academics and intelligentsia to Mars, they will fail, because no one will want to get their hands dirty doing the manual labor required. Po lil eggheads...:(:sneaky::crackup:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I'm reminded of the first colonists that came to the New World. Bunch of aristos, none of them wanted to do the grunt work needed to settle. So if they send nothing but academics and intelligentsia to Mars, they will fail, because no one will want to get their hands dirty doing the manual labor required. Po lil eggheads...:(:sneaky::crackup:
At this point they're talking about stuff like 3D printing concrete structures on Mars and the moon. Besides, you're pretty limited in how much manual labor you can do in a spacesuit. All this is at least a generation out. Who knows what we'll be able to automate by then. I suspect we'll probably send a bunch of robots first to build the initial sections of the Mars base so the "settlers" can move right in. Then the fun begins building entire cities for Musk's supposed 1 million colonists.

As for the first colonists here, they probably thought they would get their manual labor enslaving the indigenous population, instead of spending the resources to bring people over (sea travel was very expensive back then). Unfortunately for them, that didn't work out all that well.

Falcon9h

Newly Enlightened
What the heck is this thread really about?

*Maine shooter
*Bullets
*How to write in millimeters
*Mental Health
*Actors
*US infrastructure
*College
*Mopeds
*Big Pharma
*Flea feces
*Mars

Really, I think this thread is just total proof that there's no such thing as mods anymore on this forum…
And good riddance.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
This thread causes me to want KFC for breakfast. With Wendy's french fries.
IMG_1227.jpeg

IMG_1498.jpeg

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think last I checked, 9mm was best for concealed carry, but 40cal S&W (minimum caliber) has better one shot stopping power home use.
Modern defensive pistol bullets have improved in performance to the point that for wounding the bullet diameter difference between 9mm, .40/10mm, .45 is largely insignificant. And an attacker will be unable to tell whether he/she was hit with a 9mm or a .45.
IIRC, Marshall and Sanow's "one shot stop" study was debunked. Although, the 125 gr. .357 Magnum JHP does have a very impressive record. However, it is a well known fact that bullet placement is more important than bullet diameter or weight.

Good overall on ammo development over the years:

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Modern defensive pistol bullets have improved in performance to the point that for wounding the bullet diameter difference between 9mm, .40/10mm, .45 is largely insignificant. And an attacker will be unable to tell whether he/she was hit with a 9mm or a .45.
IIRC, Marshall and Sanow's "one shot stop" study was debunked. Although, the 125 gr. .357 Magnum JHP does have a very impressive record. However, it is a well known fact that bullet placement is more important than bullet diameter or weight.
I was part of a ballistic test showing the effectiveness of the newer .380 SD ammo. Ammunition technology has improved tremendously in just the last decade.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My dad used to say "gun control means hitting your target".