Bizarre & Horrifying Maine Shooting

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Always ready. You never know what may happen. Don't be a victim
IMG_9762.jpeg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
And for those who say a Glock 23 is too big, there are smaller and slimmer options. Especially in .9mm. Gone are the days when something THAT small was .380 Auto ONLY.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
He previously threatened to attack an Army Reserve location. It's no coincidence that most if not all mass-shooting perpetrators chose victims that will be unarmed. Crazy, but not too crazy.
But a lot of them also don't have a plausible escape plan. The idea is kill a bunch of unarmed people, then commit suicide by cop or SWAT team. A fair number of them off themselves before they're caught.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Glock 43 is an excellent conceal carry option. Probably will end up getting one. This 23 does have some weight but I been carrying it for over 10 years so I'm used to it

I think last I checked, 9mm was best for concealed carry, but 40cal S&W (minimum caliber) has better one shot stopping power home use.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
This. I think we're slowly working our way toward this. Class action suits will solve this problem eventually. With 90 million peaceful gun owners in the USA, you can only blame guns for so long before the blatantly obvious elephant of psyche drugs becomes impossible to ignore.

Psychotropic drugs (like the recent Alaska Airlines deadhead pilot trying to crash airline) are one issue, but I honestly believe most cases are related instead to untreated mental illness. With a psych hospitalization, especially saying he was going to shoot up his Army Reserve base, police should have immediately scoured his home for weapons, and put him on a do not buy firearm list. Still could have gotten a gun from a friend which skirts the background checks though.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not so much the caliber that's best for concealed carry as much as it is the size of the gun for comfort and draw. 9mm-45 auto are all good calibers for stopping power. It comes down to the accuracy of the shooter under pressure. If I could go back 15 years ago I probably would have purchased a smaller gun for carry (which I did, G27 but sold it like an idiot). This .40 caliber is just what I've trained with the last 10+ years and feel confident at taking out a threat at decent range, but regardless, never had to use it under pressure during a life or death situation

DRW

Enlightened
Glock 43 is an excellent conceal carry option. Probably will end up getting one. This 23 does have some weight but I been carrying it for over 10 years so I'm used to it
I'm a dyed in wool Glock user. But the G43 is far surpassed by the Sig 365 in my opinion. I have two 365s, the XL and the small SAS model.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a dyed in wool Glock user. But the G43 is far surpassed by the Sig 365 in my opinion. I have two 365s, the XL and the small SAS model.
365 is awesome. My mom actually just bought one and now that may be my next gun to buy. I have an sig 229 .40 SAS and I love it. Just too heavy for carry

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why is the Sig 365 considered better? Learning...
For one, it uses a double stack mag which can hold 10+1 rounds vs the Glock 43 which will hold 6+1. So that's a nice bonus, I think they are both equally great. Comes down to user preferences at that point. I do love the way the Sig 365 feels in hand.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Took me two years (ordering in Fall '20) to get my .30 cal pistol hollow point reload bullets for my 7.62x25
That hollow point will do 1700fps exiting barrel, nearly the energy of a 10mm pistol w/ 5+ inch barrel.

Own several,, shot lots of pistols, nothing compares to the feel of a 92FS It's not light, but not heavy, super balanced .
Canik are hard to beat per dollar

Last edited:

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Lets just remember folks, Maine has red flag laws and this guy was lodged in a mental health facility by the courts deeming him a danger to himself or society. His weapons werent obtained or held for a time period while he was in treatment. (This is what I have read from the multiple news posts so I have no idea what has changed or what is actual news). It just goes to show that if you willfully disarm for the belief that the government would provide you protection, you are woefully mistaken. This is now the second obvious moment in recollection of a state having red flag laws, having a mentally ill person who is a danger to themselves and others. With the government never once deciding that his person maybe shouldnt have firearms. I am all for due process, but for the longest time these laws have come at the agreement to try to provide us some safety and sadly yet again the failure of government is a staunch reminder to not see them as your safety blanket. Just my thoughts folks.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I think last I checked, 9mm was best for concealed carry, but 40cal S&W (minimum caliber) has better one shot stopping power home use.
It depends on which bullet-shape and load we're discussing. .9mm ball ammo isn't going to be ideal. But with some of the better hollow-points out there in that caliber, forget .40 S&W. They'll give .45 ACP a run for its money.

DRW

Enlightened
For one, it uses a double stack mag which can hold 10+1 rounds vs the Glock 43 which will hold 6+1. So that's a nice bonus, I think they are both equally great. Comes down to user preferences at that point. I do love the way the Sig 365 feels in hand.
@LuxLuthor
The XL is 12+1.

XL longer grip , easier to handle

SAS, snag free

Third party options for grips and slides, the 365 can be optimized for your needs.