Blast from the past thread

kamagong

Newly Enlightened
40991321182_0426821a13_c.jpg

I completely forgot they came in silver!

They also came in green. I gave one to my then girlfriend, now wife, who kept it in her glovebox. It was stolen one day when she took her car in for a service. :scowl:

HesNot

Enlightened
I need to take some pictures later - as I am a real dinosaur here since my flashaholism tends to run in spurts - have been pretty inactive for years as I have focused my attention to other things, mostly guitars...

Anyway:

Novatac 120P - from the early Henry days. Modded with a Luxeon K2 and a stainless tritium bezel. It just keeps on ... going. I use it daily as it is rock solid reliable, and the UI remains my favorite of all time. Not my EDC most of the time as it is a bit bulky (one reason I've not gone to a newer HDS as they are even bulkier and heavier than the already roll of quarters HDS/Novatac lights). I owned an ARC 4+ which was a lovely, but ultimately terribly unreliable light. Owned an HDS U40. Then got the 120P and had it modded to current specs and there is has sat for ... ummm ... a good decade.

Arc 6 - modded with a Luxeon K2 (apparently my favorite emitter as I still use two of em). My first real flashlight was an Arc LSP. Had a few AAAs and the already mentioned 4+. The odyssey that was the Arc6 is in and of itself a CPF tale of woe and travail. I always wanted a PDS - then along came the smaller and theoretically more advanced Arc6. I picked one up and had it modded - and have used it as an EDC off and on for close to a decade. It was not a resounding success - somewhat underwhelming runtimes and overall performance but the UI, the beam pattern and my willingness to keep fresh batteries in it make it still one of my all time favorites. And still in use to this day.

I have a drawer of others - round Surefire L1, a couple Milky mods, E1L, E2L, some Legos including one McE2S tailcap model, a handful of Peak LED Solutions lights including a Pacifica with a few bodies, mckinley heck I can't even remember all the names, a Photons International Ion, etc... I use the Milky's and the Ion somewhat regularly as well.

Hmmm maybe need to do some closet cleaning...

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Okay, you got me started... Below, I present for your viewing pleasure four special edition Arc-AAA lights. From left to right, you have Cyan, UV, Royal Blue and the ever-elusive (even Peter no longer has one!) Arc-AAA Tri-Color RGB.

MgLjEMK6SUqz6RhlIfvXoA.jpg

Another shot, showing the lights off, so you can zoom in on the bodies. Note the chamfered head on the UV, and the print along the major axis of the barrel of both the Cyan and the Tri-Color lights, which were some of the various changes to the design which made along the way to all the AAA models in response to legal pressure from certain 800-lb gorillas who shall remain nameless.

CpAnGjg%SoWNw61KKAGQmw.jpg

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hesnot and cyclops942
Nice collections!
I wish I had kept more of my lights from that era. They are some of the best. Maybe not the brightest but still really useful

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
And as long as I'm doing Arc Flashlights, how about the original Arc-LS next to its final successor, an Arc 6 that was specially selected and modded (with a tritium vial) by the maker?
iKFYj6k3RbWf%73eMAq7Hg.jpg

And what the heck... how about the original, first-generation Arc-AAA (with the sleeve for the gasket instead of an O-ring, and no foam gasket) on the bottom, below a final-edition Arc-AAA Premium, which has obviously seen a lot of use?
d9VsKfgDSXeS%rzMAq8Z%A.jpg

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice lights!
I completely forgot about the Arc 6!

Love the original LS !

kamagong

Newly Enlightened
I've been searching for years for a Longbow Micra. Black or green, it doesn't matter. That was a such a beautiful, simple design.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone remember Saberwolf s
Mcu7?

It's a custom made, ultrafire host. New led and driver. A quad die MCE that was programable and put out 450 lumens with a warm 4000 k tint!
I was curious if anyone had programming.

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it is![emoji16]
Thank you. I did much searching. I could not find anything !

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG-20190503-143535.jpg

Malkoff? Is that Russian flu?
How about an early MD2 hi/lo....

IMG-20190503-143642.jpg

S/N 1271. Yeah, yeah, yeah it doesn't tail stand, no can a clip be attached. But aint she sweet?

Mrs. Fixer was all suspiciously looking at it... "No, it's mine, you can't have it" I said. I rotated it to low and handed it to her. She said "it's not very bright" and handed it back. I thwacked it against my palm while rotating it to high and said "see, you broke it already".... "it's fixed now".... Hopefully she doesn't catch me rotating it to low and find out she had not broken it.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The poor man's Malkoff the 1x AA Klarus P1A. (There was also a 1x 123 P1C)

IMG-20190511-092608.jpg

Like the MD2 hi/lo the Klarus had ability to slightly twist the head for low output.
More grippy than the MDC an MDC 1-2v head works on the P1A.

IMG-20190511-092933.jpg

So twist for hi/lo or click for lo/me/hi.

Don't know how they held up over time as I rarely use mine but they were a nice little light. I stopped using it due to contact break from a slightly loosened tailcap. I suppose a bit of pipe thread on the threads would've solved that but I have other lights I prefer in general.

Not SureFire E compatible as the head from an incan or LED E doesn't thread onto the P1A but a Vital Gear does.

IMG-20190511-094259.jpg

How about an M31clad P1A.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pics of Nuwaii QIII converted to a Nichia 4000k 90 plus CRI. A great old light brought up to modern day brightness!
Comparing to other known light outputs, I think this went from 50-60 lumens to approximately 200 lumens of Nichia 4000k hi CRI!:D I kept this true to original click on, click off!
I plan to do another with Nlight driver and RCR 16340!

Q3 side shot

Nichia 219C Q3 driver
led gut shot by Paul Cu

[URL="https://flic.kr/p/2eG7YJL"]
led centered by

[URL="https://flic.kr/p/2euWcqX"]
Beams laying down Top mod bottom stock by

[URL="https://flic.kr/p/25hgQCx"]
Beam shot, top new, botton stock

[URL="https://flic.kr/p/2euWcqX"]
Beams laying down; Top modified, bottom stock led I could not capture the beautiful tint with my phone:shakehead

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another Nuwai Q3 mod.
Nichia 5000 k tint, pure white,with N light driver at 2.8 amps 3 mode, low, med, hi, and copper slug heatsink.
Estimate out put 500,150, 25 lumens.
Not bad for a 12 year old light!:D

Q3 side shot
[URL="https://flic.kr/p/2eJx29q"]
Q3 apart
[URL="https://flic.kr/p/2eJx2cS"]
Q3 driver stock
Q 3 copper heatsink
Q3 heatsink with nichia 5000k led
[URL="https://flic.kr/p/2eJx27w"]
q3 mod beamshot 500 Tint is pure white!
:cool:

I got over 32 minutes on high. Checked battery voltage 3.6. It was still going and protection circuit did not cut in.
The driver N light from Mountain, does have a step down but was still brighter than medium mode!
I'm guessing I could go close to an hour??
Medium should be about three hours.
Low is about 25 lumens. 5% of max that will go a long time.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Maglite just re-introduced a blast from the past with an upgrade to the one that changed it all so long ago. The 2D. Now with a low option.

Old school mechanical clicky, old school 52mm thrower with that old school donut hole capable, with a lot more run time. If you despised the fabled 2D LED Mag this one won't change that. But for classic Maglite fans it's 1980 all over again only this time with great fuel mileage and a lower output option.

IMG_20190518_111536.jpg

The center one.

Maybe SureFire will decide "hmmmmm" and re-release an updated 6P LED.....one can only dream.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
High beam
F91-E927-B-63-BB-4-CDB-84-C4-30-EC9-CE003-F5.jpg

The other day while visiting a safety supply store for a summer weight safety vest I noticed on the wall some dusty old flashlights. Nifty neato.

I bought a camo Twin Task and one I'd never heard of by knife and tool maker SOG. A fairly typical tactical number in today's light world, but in 015 the DE-05 (Dark Energy 550A) must've been pretty spectacular at 550 linens. It caused me to think "what if?"
What if PK had designed a 6 volt light for Stream light? Throws like a modern Scorpion. But it also reminded me of those Bushnell tactical numbers from Wal Mart.

A solid light no doubt. But what struck me as odd ended up being something I liked.

To change from hi, to medium, then low, and then strobe you click it on, then half press to change settings. In essence it's a high only light until you want it to be adjustable. SOG calls the settings "high, medium, reading, disorientor". I agree. They made a 1x AA a 1x 123, and now 18650 versions of the Dark Energy series.

The beam pix

623461-AE-BCFB-40-D2-AFAC-66131-AF6-B661.jpg

High beam

04-A5781-F-C3-B9-4-C5-E-AD0-B-14-C0-B791-C609.jpg

Reading mode

B52-D735-F-D2-BC-430-B-B92-E-E0965-ED7-C8-E8.jpg

Nice gap between the light and the beam.

Last edited: