Blast resistant == really tactical

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore EF1. I guess, its construction (extremely tough) renders it much more tactical than all other lights: you may apply it to a bad guy without any risk to damage the light itself :) Kind of an impact weapon :)

WigglyTheGreat

Newly Enlightened
I think this flashlight should be described as spark proof and not explosion proof. As far as impact resistance it is minimal with only 1.5 meters.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
By explosion-proof, does it mean it can withstand an internal explosion of the cell, in other words, it won't turn into a pipe bomb; it can survive an external blast, like a grenade exploding next to it; or that it won't cause an explosion by igniting a flammable atmosphere, like a cell phone can when pumping gas?

d88

Newly Enlightened
By explosion-proof, does it mean it can withstand an internal explosion of the cell, in other words, it won't turn into a pipe bomb; it can survive an external blast, like a grenade exploding next to it; or that it won't cause an explosion by igniting a flammable atmosphere, like a cell phone can when pumping gas?

On the ground my work is in an intrinsically safe environment, therefore metal on metal is never a good idea (no matter how remote the possibility). I don't know if the nitecore blurb is due to perhaps poor translation of language or understanding of what constitutes an 'explosion proof' scenario but I suspect it directly relates to the internal structure of the light. It does not take into account any external environmental issues.

Yamabushi

Enlightened
They claim it's a certified "Type II non-mine explosion-proof electrical appliance" for "hazardous industries ... including petrochemical and chemical industries". Certifying body is China Petroleum & Chemical Industry (PCEP) which they claim has reciprocity with other certifying bodies such as FM Approvals.

EDIT: Details of the Zone, Type and Protection Level classifications are provided on their website. Classifications and certificate no. are printed on the body of the flashlight.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the ground my work is in an intrinsically safe environment, therefore metal on metal is never a good idea (no matter how remote the possibility). I don't know if the nitecore blurb is due to perhaps poor translation of language or understanding of what constitutes an 'explosion proof' scenario but I suspect it directly relates to the internal structure of the light. It does not take into account any external environmental issues.

You can buy lights like that which are made for industrial use.In the UK they are sold by the protective clothing and safety industry.Wolf is the make.Worth a look as the pricing is bob on.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast

The post #7 (link) claims it to prevent a blast from the battery to go outside, if I have understood properly:

• Ex d: Indicates "Flame-proof" - A type of protection in which an enclosure can withstand the pressure developed during an internal explosion of an explosive mixture and that prevents the transmission of the explosion to the explosive atmosphere surrounding the enclosure and that operates at such an external temperature that a surrounding explosive gas or vapor will not be ignited there.

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this flashlight should be described as spark proof and not explosion proof. As far as impact resistance it is minimal with only 1.5 meters.

I suppose, those standard 1.5 m is just a way to avoid unprofitable returns: "You claimed 50 m free fall to be safe. My uncle, being drunk, wanted to test it and fell from a 10 storey building. Now I want the light to be replaced as it has penetrated my uncle's skull and does not look so nice any more. This is a photo:

Arnold-Schwarzenegger-Terminator-Genisys-featurette.jpg

One more question: how to replace a battery now?"

Last edited: