brightest single AA alkaline flashlight

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
So.... what's the max discharge amperage for an alkaline AA?
Duracell optimum put out 4A when fresh, for a little while, Rayovac high density 2A. Out of 3 brands of AA 1,5v li ion, i tried, all put out 2A some even 3A.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
With Duracell's, at first it puts out 2A then 20-30 sec later it jumps to 4+

JoeJoe

Newly Enlightened
The answer is NO, but you have many that are smarter than you and are condescending as they have some knowledge, forgetting, they started at ground zero somewhere. Try 2 AA's or some rechargeable small lights that mimic the size of an AA device. Look at RoryVon and the like. Many small lights by them in the 650 Lumens range and up. I am researching this area myself and am a beginner, so I appreciate your question. BTW for all the smarties out there, I am looking for an 1000 meter throw and 6000 lumens double C cell light not longer than 4 inches. Got any?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sadly, Raggie got upset, and hasn't been back for the last several days.
Issue not entirely due to the comments in this thread. I hope he does return. And for anyone looking for a powerful flashlight that takes one AA battery.... I'd say go for a flashlight that takes a single 14500 lithium rechargeable battery. But can also run on a single AA cell for lower output and runtime.

JoeJoe

Newly Enlightened
Issue not entirely due to the comments in this thread. I hope he does return. And for anyone looking for a powerful flashlight that takes one AA battery.... I'd say go for a flashlight that takes a single 14500 lithium rechargeable battery. But can also run on a single AA cell for lower output and runtime.
I agree, but the answer to the OP is still NO. .

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast

He'll be back in another week or two, tops. He did this exact same thing just a short while ago in the "Is it okay to cuss out a cop?" thread.

In exasperation, I sort of read him the riot act (this was after several other threads of his where some of us were trying to help him sort out his issues...). And apparently he interpreted that as "everyone hates me" and he declared he was going to "ban" himself and never come back.

I think it was about 3 weeks before he started posting again like nothing had happened.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Acebeam says it does exist.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Acebeam says it does exist.
Scroll down a bit on the page.
It comes with a 14500 rechargeable battery.
But is simply compatible with a single AA cell.
So expect output to be considerably less impressive.
The Description on the page is a bit confusing.
Then again, AceBeam is a Chinese brand.
Guessing the one tasked with writing the description,
not a native English speaker. Still a great light though.
AceBeam is awesome. I love my AceBeam P16 Limited Edition Defender.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea, I noticed that, they also have another model that makes 1000lm, from 14500 of course. However not all alkaline are the same, some push out 4A others barely manage 2A, then there are lithium AA, that do not sag as much under load, have slightly higher voltage. so it is entirely possible for that light to push out around 500lm on fresh AA cells, for a little while. I'd guess from a regular AA it would put out about 300lm.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
yea, I noticed that, they also have another model that makes 1000lm, from 14500 of course. However not all alkaline are the same, some push out 4A others barely manage 2A, then there are lithium AA, that do not sag as much under load, have slightly higher voltage. so it is entirely possible for that light to push out around 500lm on fresh AA cells, for a little while. I'd guess from a regular AA it would put out about 300lm.
Maybe less than that. Still, it's a very good-looking light.
Unfortunately I already spent all of my Mad Money for this month.
Otherwise I'd get one of those for myself.
Though part of that included buying a Nitecore MH12S,
and two spare 21700s for it. Which, not easy to find! Light or batts.
Seems every October, if I really want something,
it's sold out everywhere. eBay becomes my best friend during those times.

Rinspeed

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight has always made some of the brightest and most efficient AA lights on the market. They are also tough as nails.

Brokenarrow

Newly Enlightened
I think its time to try a Zebralight y'all are always talking about. They have a good 14500? Or even smaller?

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a long story, but they do support it. It's just not "officially" supported anymore. They can handle the voltage, there's just no LVP. You would have to use button top unprotected in the new SC53n AA

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there's not something on the driver limiting the volts that hit the LED to 3, then although a 14500 will work in the Zebra, eventually electrical components will burn out.