Bringing a 6P in to the 21st Century

mjlamb

Newly Enlightened
VICV.... Open mouth insert foot.

If the drop in has very high draw, then yes wrapping may be suggested to make sure there is sufficient surface area of the drop in making contact with head for heat transfer. That said, I've used so many drop ins over the years with no ill effect in my Surefire and Solarforce bodies AND with ZERO failures. My old Nailbender SST in a bored C3 get's hot as hell but still functions 100% after all these years.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 6P, and a Cabela's and Solarforce P60 style bulb lights. The Surefire 80/120 lumen l.e.d. drop in bulb doesn't need to be wrapped in copper tape. I didn't wrap my Thrunite 260 lumen Cree XP-G drop in but it does get the light warm. My 500-600 lumen Cree XM-L2 Solarforce drop-ins got wrapped and use is limited on high. I suggest that if you want to use your light continuously in a 6P, keep the output below 300 lumens or get a drop in that fits in the light tightly made of solid brass (Malkoff, etc.). A similar sized light with good heatsinking (no drop-in l.e.d.) will max out around 500 lumens continuously (will drop in output between 500-800 lumens with advanced temperature regulation if used on higher setting). Your mileage may vary based on outside temperature.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
My take on modernizing the 6P.

I happen to have my 6P in my bag today...

58NK5qh.jpg

Specs:
- Bored to 18mm by me
aluminum rod chucked in an ancient 1/2" Milwaukee drill
a lot of duct tape
a lot of sandpaper.
- Module by me with a smooth reflector, Dr. Jones H17F programmable driver, and a neutral XM-L2
(components sourced from Mountain Electronics)
- Currently running on a Panasonic NCR18650B sourced from a retired battery pack
- McClicky tailcap.
- Xeno bezel ring.

Last edited:

Coolwhite

Newly Enlightened
Here is a pic of my 6p, purchased a 6p Led new with the std SF 80 lumen unit, was always a bit bright for round the house and not bright enough outdoors ?
So got a thrunite 3 mode drop in which has a low, medium,high.
Also dropped the light one night onto slate floor that dented bezel, so got a seraph head from lumens factory as well as a clip from same.
Feels like it's upgraded now, nice one to have in my bag.
Like this light a lot, too big for pocket edc but awesome.
20210717_092636.jpg

Coolwhite

Newly Enlightened
Love the Seraph parts on it CW.

If anybody is interested in turning the 6p into a tail-stand-able clicky a Malkoff tailcap works well.
Thanks Byk, must say the quality on the Lumens factory stuff is outstanding, was 1st time I bought anything from them, deep reflector, glass ar coated lens, thick stainless bezel, fit is 100%, clip is also very good quality. My next light may just be a LF e series build.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
B1323748-7354-4984-A66-B-36615-E860-F1-A.jpg

Here's a 21st century 6P using a Malkoff tailcap with holes drilled in the shoulder for a wrist strap. For light output a Malkoff M61 WLL makes it about as bright as factory with a warm beam. For fuel SureFire CR123's run a long long time.