Budget Searchlight?

665ae

Newly Enlightened
"Are there any decent searchlight style (larger body with a handle) lights out these days? I'm curious how many lumens you can get for "around $50." I see a few direct from China lights that look decent, but I've been out of the hobby for a few years now and have no idea whats good any more. Thanks!

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe wait for the Emisar D1s. Should have around 130k lux on a single 18650, together with excellent UI and build quality.

Not sure what the price will be though. Could be less than $50.

Agpp

Enlightened
Not body with a handle and at the moment quality is uncertain (Emisar will be great), but there's Astrolux MF-02 preorder going on and with ~620 kcd / ~$68 it's going to be far throwier than anything cheaper.

Keitho

Enlightened
For an impressive pencil beam that you can probably find around $70, tn32ut, over 1000m throw. If you want the most lumens for around $50 (not throw, just power), it is hard to avoid the HI version of the Emisar D1. Either will impress your friends and blind your enemies!

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two suggestions: For the really low price, the Rayovac 4C lantern. Standard lantern form factor, C cells make it a little smaller and lighter than a 4D/6v lantern. Two modes and a pretty compact beam, but average in throw.
Second would be the Nitecore P30. A single 18650/2 CR123 light with a larger head/reflector for a very nice tight beam, especially on the higher modes. Small enough to carry well on the included belt holster. MSRP is around $60 USD, but some judicious shopping and it can be gotten for under $50. If you can't find any coupons give me a PM and I'll see if I can help.

Poppy

Flashaholic
IF you are doing wooded area search, then you want more flood than throw, a light that will give you a combination of both is the convoy L6. It is a larger light, and without a handle, so it may not at all be what you are looking for. But just one of many to look at.

665ae

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies! I'm looking for a general utility type searchlight with no specific uses in mind. Was curious what was out there at the lower end of the cost spectrum. A handle is a definite "must have" for me. I'll check out the ones you've all recommended.

flphotog

Newly Enlightened
Two suggestions: For the really low price, the Rayovac 4C lantern. Standard lantern form factor, C cells make it a little smaller and lighter than a 4D/6v lantern. Two modes and a pretty compact beam, but average in throw.
Second would be the Nitecore P30. A single 18650/2 CR123 light with a larger head/reflector for a very nice tight beam, especially on the higher modes. Small enough to carry well on the included belt holster. MSRP is around $60 USD, but some judicious shopping and it can be gotten for under $50. If you can't find any coupons give me a PM and I'll see if I can help.

I've got the P30 and love it, throws a beam a lot farther than I'll ever really need and unlike a lot of Nitecore lights it has 5 brightness levels instead of 4 witch I also like a lot.

Keitho

Enlightened
Here is an off-the-wall idea for a flashlight with a handle. Since you'll continue to get recommendations for traditional flashlights without a separate handle, and a lot of them are good recommendations except for lack of a handle, maybe a separate accessory handle would give you the best of both worlds: a well-made, traditional flashlight, plus a way to add a handle when needed. The best handles I could find were in the category of "camera handles", and come in all shapes, sizes, and prices, often as low as $10. They almost all mount to a 1/4-20 "tripod mount." Some (not many) flashlights have a 1/4-20 thread built-in, but most would need another accessory like the Solarforce SC-1 tripod mount (also pretty inexpensive--a black ring with a female 1/4-20 mount).

If you wanted to get really custom, you could get a light that accepts a remote pressure switch (Convoy C8; Nitecore P30; for example), and mount the pressure switch to your handle for remote on/off while you're holding the handle. Depending on your setup, it could look pretty tactical, and would be 1-of-a-kind. It might push the budget a little bit, but it could be useable on multiple flashlights, and would probably out-live some of the cheaper flashlight options you'll be considering.

Good luck!

Poppy

Flashaholic
Here is an off-the-wall idea for a flashlight with a handle. Since you'll continue to get recommendations for traditional flashlights without a separate handle, and a lot of them are good recommendations except for lack of a handle, maybe a separate accessory handle would give you the best of both worlds: a well-made, traditional flashlight, plus a way to add a handle when needed. The best handles I could find were in the category of "camera handles", and come in all shapes, sizes, and prices, often as low as $10. They almost all mount to a 1/4-20 "tripod mount." Some (not many) flashlights have a 1/4-20 thread built-in, but most would need another accessory like the Solarforce SC-1 tripod mount (also pretty inexpensive--a black ring with a female 1/4-20 mount).
Keitho,
Great response!

If you wanted to get really custom, you could get a light that accepts a remote pressure switch (Convoy C8; Nitecore P30; for example), and mount the pressure switch to your handle for remote on/off while you're holding the handle. Depending on your setup, it could look pretty tactical, and would be 1-of-a-kind. It might push the budget a little bit, but it could be useable on multiple flashlights, and would probably out-live some of the cheaper flashlight options you'll be considering.

Good luck!

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
"Are there any decent searchlight style (larger body with a handle) lights out these days? I'm curious how many lumens you can get for "around $50." I see a few direct from China lights that look decent, but I've been out of the hobby for a few years now and have no idea whats good any more. Thanks!

Amazon has the Stanley Fatmax (920 Lumen LED) for $49.97 and free shipping. Maybe that would work for you?

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as you're adding a handle to a light, make it a battery tube as well, keep a spare 18650 or 26650 in there... or get fancy and wire it into the light in parallel with the original battery tube.

flphotog

Newly Enlightened
I've got the P30 and love it, throws a beam a lot farther than I'll ever really need and unlike a lot of Nitecore lights it has 5 brightness levels instead of 4 witch I also like a lot.

I've got the P30 as well and love it. Also have the Convoy C8 which is similar but I'm not a fan of the C8 UI but it is a lot cheaper. I'd go with the P30 any day, the C8, not so much.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another option I just remembered. Streamlight sells a couple of versions of the old standard big round head with a pistol style grip. I forget the prices but they seem to be good lights. One version uses regular cells, the other is rechargeable and will also work with the 12v charging cord directly.

razashaikh

Newly Enlightened
You can go with BYGO 5018S-LED Waterproof Handheld Searchlight. It will give you 1200 Lumens under $30. :twothumbs

ven

Flashaholic
IF you are doing wooded area search, then you want more flood than throw, a light that will give you a combination of both is the convoy L6. It is a larger light, and without a handle, so it may not at all be what you are looking for. But just one of many to look at.

+1, L6 is a very good option, xhp70 and available in NW................:)