Budget Showerhead Mag Drop-in.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just had to pay return shipping (about $4 USA to HK). My 6D is an unbelievably intimidating light cannon now! I have it running on 12AA NiMHs (with 6AA-->D adapters).
I thought that the maximum voltage for the Fusion was Nine Volts.
Twelve AA's seems to be a bit over that.
I'm assuming that the adaptors are series adaptors (to give 12 AA's in series).

My 2D has two adaptors in ... Each with three AA's ... So mine is running on six AA Eneloops (in series) and is great.

bowlingblogger

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I should have specified that each adapter accepts either one AA or two in parallel. Since I am using NiMHs, the total voltage is 7.2v. I got the adapters on eBay for about a buck a pop.

gatorgofer

Newly Enlightened
Will 2 18650's fit in a 2C Maglite with a Showerhead drop-in? I'm looking for the best rechargeable option for the 3C Maglite.

jacktheclipper

Enlightened
Will 2 18650's fit in a 2C Maglite with a Showerhead drop-in? I'm looking for the best rechargeable option for the 3C Maglite.

:welcome:

EDIT: Saw your post count and not your join date .
If you lost any prior posts in the meltdown my welcome might not be your first .

Welcome .

Last edited:

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Wifes 2C (showerhead) uses two 18500 Li-Ions ... My 2D (showerhead) will take two 18650's though at the moment I am using six AA Eneloops (in two "3AA to D" convertors).

Kindle

Enlightened

To make them fit into a 2C you'll need to remove the stock spring & de-anodize the inside of the tailcap (anodizing is a poor electrical conductor). You can remove the anodizing using a dremel or sandpaper, alternatively lye will also remove it (I'm sure there are tutorials on CPF if you search).

Depending on the length of your particular 18650's you'll also need something to take up the little bit of remaining space. I've heard of people using rare earth magnets, mini-mag springs or key/split rings folded over.

You'll also probably want to find a length of pvc/rubber tubing to slide the cells into to keep them from rattling.

gatorgofer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info guys. I'm currently running 3 CR123's in my 2C. It's very bright but the tail cap is a bear to put on (the new tail cap looks like it will solve that problem, thanks!) and too expensive for a "dog walking" light. Hence the need for a rechargeable option. I'm hooked on the Lumens! I've ordered a 3C and it looks to be a bit longer than a 2D. Will this fit the 18650's without mods? Thanks again for the help and the welcome.

meph

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys... i'm having trouble deciding what kind of battery mod to use with this bulb. I have a 3D Mag. I was thinking of using 4 C's rechargeable NMH or getting 2AA-D adapters and putting 6 AA's rechargeable NMH. or Lithium ions 18650s? Can you use Lithium on these flashlights?

I'm looking for something that lasts and wont break the bank.

After going to every post in this thread.. i understand the more cells the better in terms of battery life and lumens.

Seems like everyone has a different setup. Any suggestions would be a great help..
TIA

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys... i'm having trouble deciding what kind of battery mod to use with this bulb. I have a 3D Mag. I was thinking of using 4 C's rechargeable NMH or getting 2AA-D adapters and putting 6 AA's rechargeable NMH. or Lithium ions 18650s? Can you use Lithium on these flashlights?

I'm looking for something that lasts and wont break the bank.

After going to every post in this thread.. i understand the more cells the better in terms of battery life and lumens.

Seems like everyone has a different setup. Any suggestions would be a great help..
TIA
My Wife has a 2C with two 18500 Li-Ions but it will still run OK on two C cells , but not as bright ... Mine is a 2D and I started off by using two 18650's , but I now use six Eneloop AA's ... The 2D body holds two "3AA to D" convertors and this is my favourite ... If you can get "2AA to D" series convertors , then that would be my personal choice ... The 2D with six AA cells certainly works well , so a 3D with six AA cells will be just as good.

Nasty

Newly Enlightened
Just a quick post-by here...I am still running mine the same as I did originally and all are still working perfectly. I have one of the original and two of the warm, have subjected one of them to a very rough thump...mag light did its job and the light didn't even flicker.

If I had any more Mags hanging around, I'd be buying more of these.

dizhu

Newly Enlightened
I have run 2 IMR 26500 and 1 IMR 26500 configurations on a bored 2C Mag. The issue is that when the light suddenly cuts off, the voltage on the battery is already too low, around 2V. I now moved fusion 36 to my new monster Mammoth with 2S2P 18650 configuration. Hopefully protected batteries won't be destroyed this time.

nicodimus22

Newly Enlightened
I just got a Fusion 36 today. It is a nice upgrade from the incandescent bulb, and it works in my 25-year old 4D so I'm pretty happy with it.

Something I don't quite understand, despite looking through this thread...maybe someone can clear it up for me. I've seen adapters out there that let you put either 1 AA or 2 AA batteries in a case that acts as a D battery. I'm wondering a couple of things:

-Why is this better than using D-batteries?

-Why do some adapters use 1 AA and some use 2? Isn't the adapter trying to mimic the output of a D-battery?

-If you use 3 of the 2 AA adapters, as some of the people in this thread seem to...what takes the place of where the 4th D-battery would go? Or am I misunderstanding, and you can only do that in a 3D mag?

Thanks.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a Fusion 36 today. It is a nice upgrade from the incandescent bulb, and it works in my 25-year old 4D so I'm pretty happy with it.

Something I don't quite understand, despite looking through this thread...maybe someone can clear it up for me. I've seen adapters out there that let you put either 1 AA or 2 AA batteries in a case that acts as a D battery. I'm wondering a couple of things:

-Why is this better than using D-batteries?

-Why do some adapters use 1 AA and some use 2? Isn't the adapter trying to mimic the output of a D-battery?

-If you use 3 of the 2 AA adapters, as some of the people in this thread seem to...what takes the place of where the 4th D-battery would go? Or am I misunderstanding, and you can only do that in a 3D mag?

Thanks.
I use mine with AA batteries because I don't want to use D cell rechargeables ... I have plenty of AA Eneloops ... I have a 2D with two "3AA to D" adaptors ... This allows me to use six AA Eneloops in series ... This means that the torch is running well within the Fusions voltage limit ... I can also use two 18650s if I wish.

If you are happy using D cells then just do it ... If you want to only use AAs then you would need either three "2AA to D" adaptors or two "3AA to D" adaptors ... The empty space will need to be filled with the appropriate number of Dummy cells (with the ends shorted together internally) to give a good connection.

You could use two "2AA to D" convertors and two "1AA to D" convertors which would mean that the torch would be running on six AAs ... Perfect ! ...Make sure that the 2AA convertors are the series type not the parallel type.

Don't go over the six cell limit just in case you burn-out the dropin ... It works great on six AAs.

nicodimus22

Newly Enlightened
Interesting. I am debating on whether it would be better to get 4 nimh D-cells or try to find two 2AA-D and two 1AA-D adapters. Has anyone compared the battery life/brightness performance between 6 AA nimhs and 4 D nimhs?

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. I am debating on whether it would be better to get 4 nimh D-cells or try to find two 2AA-D and two 1AA-D adapters. Has anyone compared the battery life/brightness performance between 6 AA nimhs and 4 D nimhs?
Ideally you should go as near to nine volts as you can , but the Fusion 36 is still bright using four NiMh batteries ... It is however brighter with six batteries ... My Wifes will run OK on two C cells but is brighter when using two 18500 Li-Ions.

Compare the milli-ampere-hour capacity between the AA and the D cells ... This will give a rough idea as to how much longer the D cells will last ... Ideally you could measure the current (in milliamps) at the tailcap and as you already know the milli-ampere-hour capacity of the battery type , just divide the mAh by the measured current and this should give the hours that the torch will run for (approximately).

You could always do a run test and time it properly.