Bulb Re-rating & Torch Lumens Questions

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
AWR,

Quick note about temperature of the tungsten filament and CCT: they are NOT the same. The CCT is the Correlated Color Temperature, and reflects the "best fit" of an ideal black body radiator to the actual output of the light source. Tungsten is really a "grey" body, so the filament temp and CCT are different by about 80 to 100 K, with CCT being higher than actual temperature.

As for the 65 percent figure, Ginseng is the one who quoted it to me way back when I was first doing the TigerLight Upgrade Thread. So I didn't originate it, but I have verified it over time by doing comparisons of lights with known outputs. It is only a rule of thumb to be sure, but it is one that I will hang my hat on, so to speak. I have found it to be within the measurement error bar of the only optical measuring device I own: my eyes.

A calibrated integrating sphere would be necessary to really test out the rule of thumb in each particular case, and over a wide range of total outputs and lamp types and reflector sizes, and so on. But I'm not about to drop 6 or 8 large on one of those!

Nereus

Enlightened
Thank you for your quick answers, guys! JS, you answered my next question before I even asked it... I was also wondering if CCT and real filament temperatures are the same.

When it comes to degrading bulb lumens to torch lumens, have a look on WA's 10 watt HID datasheet. It's said that the 10 watt SEL hid produces 500 lumens and the same 10 watt hid with built-in reflector produces 450 lumens - that's only 10% decrease in light output due to (aluminium ?) reflector.

WBR, Nereus

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was always wondering where you guys were coming up with the bulb lumen outputs that were beyond the graphs at WA site.

Thanks for the bump! I'll subscribe to this one so I don't loose it.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi thanks for your formulas!
I have just put all of them in Excel...

I was thinking is there a formula to calculate the volt at bulb pins from battry pack volt and resistance?:candle: