C8

bella-headlight

Newly Enlightened
What would you guys say is the best budget single 18650 C8 & why (it will be used stock) say up to £20/$30 ?
I am looking at the Thorfire C8s, Convoy C8 & XinTD C8.
The Thorfire is the cheapest at £13 (discount deal on), the Convoy is £16 & the XinTD is a bit dearer although I can"t find it in stock anywhere.
From what I can gather there is not much to choose between the Thorfire & Convoy so I am leaning toward the Thorfire.
Any recommendations out of these 3 or any others in the same price bracket that I should be considering & if so why ?

ven

Flashaholic
Convoy are a decent budget brand, thats what i would be looking at, try and buy from either mtn electronics or off simon on aliexpress as these are genuine ones. Ones found on gearbest and banggood are hit/miss for copy/genuine

bykfixer

Flashaholic
You'd probably get a larger group looking at your request if it were in the "reccomend a light" section.

Being in this one folks likely think you've just picked up a light you want to speak about.

Convoy vote here

Last edited:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Convoy C8 is very good value for money! Great host for modding too. I would recommend to epoxy the LED and pot the driver. Then you will have a great flashlight. I have no experience with buying from Gearbest but the C8's I purchased from Banggood were all genuine. Of course if you buy straight from Simon you never have to worry about getting a fake one.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
To answer your original post: Another Convoy vote here.

Footnotes:
I don't know what your goal for this light purchase is. But, as others mentioned, getting authentic can be hit or miss. If you are looking for a quality budget light, some possible solutions to that is what I am going to propose:
Solarforce hosts on the Solarforce website. You can put any P60 drop in you desire. They have some hosts sub $20 if you shop their site hard. Quality is amazing for the price.
Another route is Banggood, The C8s I have gotten from them seem to be authentic. However, in addition to the Convoy C8, search BLF A6, or Gear Best D80. You may like those?

Anyways, just some ideas.

Good luck.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Some might be ok and probably are, but they do end in the word fire! and that in itself makes me nervous. I prefer to stick with known budget brands that often rival higher branded quality lights. Convoy imo does match higher priced lights in some models, hard to beat for the money and thats where my hard earned would go.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the ThorFire! I also like the Convoy!

The one I own is the ThorFire C8. Frankly, I think the ThorFire C8s, which dumps the blinky modes of the C8 in favor of an added moonlight mode, is the better of the two. As far as I know, the Convoy C8 does not offer a moonlight mode.

The following comments pertain to the ThorFire C8. It is similar to the C8s, but some of the videos I watched indicate that there may be some differences. The biggest one I saw was the switch. A couple of the videos show the C8s using a forward clicky. My C8 uses a reverse clicky. Another biggie is the driver. According to two reviewers of the C8s, it does not use the same driver as the Convoy C8. Instead, its driver features a large inductor that is probably necessary in creating the moonlight mode of the C8s.

Positives: The ThorFire C8 is a solid, very well-built flashlight. It uses square-cut threads on both ends of the body tube, and has a screw-in, removable pill that holds the driver and emitter. Anodizing and fit-and-finish are excellent.

Negatives: The user interface uses "on-time memory" to implement mode memory. When a mode has been on for only a short period (2 seconds or less), a half-press of the tail switch will take you to the next mode. If a mode is active for longer, then the next off-on cycle or half-press will leave you in the mode you are already using.

This works great when you turn off the flashlight. When you come back later and turn it on, it remembers the last mode you were using, and wakes up in that mode. When the light is already on, however, and you just want to go to the next mode, on-time memory means that the first half-press does not change modes. It simply flashes the light off and on. The second, and subsequent, half-presses then cycle through the modes.

This is a bit inconvenient, but I understand that there are many flashlights that work this way. I do not own a Convoy C8, but I recall reading that its user interface works the same way.

CPF member JFong has the same C8 that I have. When we compared them, we found that his has a very low whine in medium mode. According to him, mine does not. (With my poor hearing, I did not hear any whining from either of them!) In his YouTube review, OldLumens observes some whining in medium mode of his C8s. The C8s reviewed by FlashLion did not have any whine.

OldLumens was also unhappy about the pill in his C8s. It has a hole in the center, directly beneath that part of the MCPCB where the LED is mounted. He says that detracts from the flashlight's ability to shed heat. In my own usage, however, I found that my C8 does not run very hot, especially compared to tube lights like the Convoy S2+ or the BLF Special Edition A6.

Subjective factors: The ThorFire models come only in cool-white. Convoy gives you a choice of tints. Convoy also lets you choose how many 7135 chips to include in the driver. I do not know what driver is used in the ThorFire models. The C8 may be a standard driver that uses 7135 chips. See this photo from the review by David Moore. My C8 also has four 7135 chips on the bottom of the driver board. Mine, however, are in different positions than David's. As noted above, two reviewers, FlashLion and emarkd, say that the C8s does not use a standard C8 driver.

Here are links to the excellent reviews by FlashLion and emarkd.

The following YouTube review of the ThorFire C8 is by David Moore. It's a good one. It includes photos of his tear-down. One nitpick: David says the lens is plastic, but I think it is glass. In their reviews, FlashLion, emarkd, and OldLumens all report finding a glass lens (without AR coating).

This next review, by OldLumens, is for the ThorFire C8s.

At the end of the day, your choice may come down to tint vs. moonlight mode. If you need neutral-white, buy the Convoy. If you want moonlight, get the ThorFire.

One final note about user interface. With a forward-clicky switch, the C8s has a momentary-on capability. Changing modes, however, is then best performed when the flashlight is off. Each successive half-press shows you the next mode. When you see the mode you like, click all the way to turn on the flashlight.

Alternatively, when the flashlight is on, you can change modes by quickly turning it off and back on.

When a mode is active for more than 2 seconds, it will be stored in mode memory. That is the so-called "on-time" memory feature. As above, when the flashlight is on, and you have been using it for a while, this means that the first time you rapidly turn it off and back on, your light will stay in the same mode you were using. The second and subsequent times you rapidly turn it off and back on, it will advance to the next mode.

Did I already say that mode selection on a flashlight with a forward-clicky switch is best performed with the flashlight off?

You bet.

Last edited:

bella-headlight

Newly Enlightened
Well the Thorfire C8s were so cheap (£12.79 or $18 each delivered), & seem well liked over on BLF, that I ordered 2 yesterday that will be delivered today.
I will see how they perform but at that price it seemed stupid not to pull the trigger
:twothumbs

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope you like yours as much as I like mine.

After you have had some time to use them for a while, come on back, and give us a report.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trust me, I hear ya. I have been a member of BLF longer than CPF. BLF led me to the C8 many years ago. Also I have or still have all of the above mentioned lights. I can say with confidence, for the money, it is hard to beat the BLF special editions. I have lights that cost 10x as much, and some of the BLFs still walk the dog. I can't begin to explain how much effort went into making those. KIL will probably tell you, I type this all the time, for the $ the BLF lights are some of the best values anywhere.

Anyways, please don't misconstrue my comments, I like the C8 and the C8 is a fun light and a good value. I still probably own 3 or so, and it was the first light I modded it led me to BLF & CPF. So, it holds as special spot in my heart. lol Good part is, it is a good platform with lots of options.
Please don't think I was being negative on your choice. The most important part is, Have fun! Stick around and keep us posted.

bella-headlight

Newly Enlightened
Trust me, I hear ya. I have been a member of BLF longer than CPF. BLF led me to the C8 many years ago. Also I have or still have all of the above mentioned lights. I can say with confidence, for the money, it is hard to beat the BLF special editions. I have lights that cost 10x as much, and some of the BLFs still walk the dog. I can't begin to explain how much effort went into making those. KIL will probably tell you, I type this all the time, for the $ the BLF lights are some of the best values anywhere.

Anyways, please don't misconstrue my comments, I like the C8 and the C8 is a fun light and a good value. I still probably own 3 or so, and it was the first light I modded it led me to BLF & CPF. So, it holds as special spot in my heart. lol Good part is, it is a good platform with lots of options.
Please don't think I was being negative on your choice. The most important part is, Have fun! Stick around and keep us posted.

Will do.
I have also pre-ordered the joint CPF italia/BLF Cometa which I am looking forward to receiving :twothumbs

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
thorfire C8,
Convoy C8
XinTD C8
best budget single 18650 C8
:thinking:
come on, some of the posts seem to indicate "C8" stands for something (regarding lights?)
pls enlighten me
;)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I like the ThorFire! I also like the Convoy!

The one I own is the ThorFire C8. Frankly, I think the ThorFire C8s, which dumps the blinky modes of the C8 in favor of an added moonlight mode, is the better of the two. As far as I know, the Convoy C8 does not offer a moonlight mode.

The following comments pertain to the ThorFire C8. It is similar to the C8s, but some of the videos I watched indicate that there may be some differences. The biggest one I saw was the switch. A couple of the videos show the C8s using a forward clicky. My C8 uses a reverse clicky. Another biggie is the driver. According to two reviewers of the C8s, it does not use the same driver as the Convoy C8. Instead, its driver features a large inductor that is probably necessary in creating the moonlight mode of the C8s.

Positives: The ThorFire C8 is a solid, very well-built flashlight. It uses square-cut threads on the body tube, and has a screw-in, removable pill that holds the driver and emitter. Anodizing and fit-and-finish are excellent.

Negatives: The user interface uses "on-time memory" to implement mode memory. When a mode has been on for only a short period (2 seconds or less), a half-press of the tail switch will take you to the next mode. If a mode is active for longer, then the next off-on cycle or half-press will leave you in the mode you are already using.

This works great when you turn off the flashlight. When you come back later and turn it on, it remembers the last mode you were using, and wakes up in that mode. When the light is already on, however, and you just want to go to the next mode, on-time memory means that the first half-press does not change modes. It simply flashes the light off and on. The second, and subsequent, half-presses then cycle through the modes.

This is a bit inconvenient, but I understand that there are many flashlights that work this way. I do not own a Convoy C8, but I recall reading that its user interface works the same way.

In his YouTube review, OldLumens observes some whining in medium mode of his C8s. CPF member JFong has the same C8 that I have. When we compared them, we found that his has a very low whine in medium mode. According to him, mine does not. (With my poor hearing, I did not hear any whining from either of them!) The C8s reviewed by FlashLion did not have any whine.

OldLumens was also unhappy about the pill in his C8s. It has a hole in the center, directly beneath that part of the MCPCB where the LED is mounted. He says that detracts from the flahslight's abilty to shed heat. In my own usage, however, I found that my C8 does not run very hot, especially compared to tube lights like the Convoy S2+ or the BLF Special Edition A6.

Subjective factors: The ThorFire models come only in cool-white. Convoy gives you a choice of tints. Convoy also lets you choose how many 7135 chips to include in the driver. I do not know what driver is used in the ThorFire models. The C8 may be a standard driver that uses 7135 chips. See this photo from the review by David Moore. My C8 also has four 7135 chips on the bottom of the driver board. Mine, however, are in different positions than David's. As noted above, two reviewers, FlashLion and emarkd, say that the C8s does not use a standard C8 driver.

Here are links to the excellent reviews by FlashLion and emarkd.

The following YouTube review of the ThorFire C8 is by David Moore. It's a good one. It includes photos of his tear-down. One nitpick: David says the lens is plastic, but I think it is glass. In their reviews, FlashLion, emarkd, and OldLumens all report finding a glass lens (without AR coating).

This next review, by OldLumens, is for the ThorFire C8s.

At the end of the day, your choice may come down to tint vs. moonlight mode. If you need neutral-white, buy the Convoy. If you want moonlight, get the ThorFire.

One final note about user interface. With a forward clicky switch, the C8s has a momentary-on capability. Changing modes, however, is then best performed when the flashlight is off. Each successive half-press shows you the next mode. When you see the mode you like, click all the way to turn on the flashlight.

Alternatively, when the flashlight is on, you can change modes by quickly turning it off and back on.

When a mode is active for more than 2 seconds, it will be stored in mode memory. That is the so-called "on-time" memory feature. As above, when the flashlight is on, and you have been using it for a while, this means that the first time you rapidly turn off and back on, your light will stay in the same mode you were using. The second and subsequent times you rapidly turn it off and back on, it will advance to the next mode.

Did I already say that mode selection on a flashlight with a forward-clicky switch is best performed with the flashlight off? You bet.

Great Post!
Should help a lot of folks stumbling onto this thread.

bella-headlight

Newly Enlightened
Well I have had a play with the Thorfire C8s this evening & first impressions are good.
Build is far far better than any of my other Chinese lights.
4 modes with moonlight.
Quality body with good anodising, very clean smooth square threads (lubed) at both tube ends, good quality aluminium reflector, glass lens, nicely spaced modes, cree xm-l2 (not a lattice bright) & low voltage protection.
No noticeable rings or artefacts in the beam pattern.
Came in a cardboard box with foam sheets & bubble wrap & manual.
Comes with a spare pair of "O" rings.
It obliterated my other Chinese lights (some of which cost a good deal more) & compared this evening to a friends Convoy C8 the build is at least as good & brightness & throw comparable (he actually prefers my light).
Glad I bought them.

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you like 'em.

I agree about the build on the ThorFire C8 and C8s. It is very good.

Did you get the forward-clicky? I have one of those in my Brinyte B158, and can't say I like the way you have to select modes with the flashlight off. I also do not like having the blinky modes on the main sequence, but that's where Brinyte put them on the B158. The ThorFire C8 let's you hide them, the same way you can hide them on a Convoy C8. The ThorFire C8s that you have eliminates the problem by getting rid of the blinky modes entirely.

If you want to learn more about the BLF A6 and BLF Kronos X6/X5, check out this post. For more extensive information, see the full threads on them here and here.

BTW, I signed up for the CPFItalia Cometa group buy myself. That thing looks to be a really great 52mm zoomie.

Last edited:

bella-headlight

Newly Enlightened
No mine are reverse clicky.
M
y C8s has moonlight, low, med & high which are well spaced & a hidden blinky.
I can"t understand why some members in this thread thought that the Thorfire would be like other *****fire lights, for a a £13/$18 light they really ought to try one.
It is every bit as well made as the Convoy C8, which is a well respected light, if not better.
My friend with the Convoy C8 (also a CW like my Thorfire) preferred the tint & beam on mine so much that he has ordered one.
The only downside I can see really is that the Thorfire is only available in CW should you want a different tint & this i suppose is where the Convoy would out score it.
I didn"t buy them because I only had that amount of money to spend, as another poster alluded to, but because they were highly recommended to me & as I am not an out & out "flashaholic" I couldn"t see the point in spending more money for a light that would only have the same build quality & do the same job but just with a supposed better name.
The recommendations were right.
I am more into headlights (& cells & chargers) than flash lights & have Fenix & Olight lights so I don"t skimp on quality when I need to but I am blown away with these $18 lights.
And yes that Cometa looks to be a hell of light & a hell of a spec for $40.
I think the orders must be around 350 now (I am seriously tempted to order another with a different tint).

Last edited:

d123

Newly Enlightened
I would agree, I got a Thorfire C8s from Amazon and it's worth a lot more than its current price, and most owners seem to think the same after seeing the decent reviews for it.

Well made, good finish and a nice beam. It lives by the back door now for the times the dog gets too interested in the back fence that's in shadow at night.

fishx65

Enlightened
Big reason why I went for the Convoy was the warmer tints available. Love the 4C tint of my Convoy C8's!!!!!

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am waiting for either a Thorfire or Convoy C8 XP-L HI.