C8

bella-headlight

Newly Enlightened
The lack of tint options is the only downside with the Thorfire versus the Convoy IMO but if you want a 1A/CW then the Thorfire is every bit as good & over this side of the pond with the discount code a bit cheaper.
Although it has "fire" in the name I wouldn"t let that put you off a Thorfire :twothumbs

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am waiting for either a Thorfire or Convoy C8 XP-L HI.

Check out the BLF Limited Edition Kronos X6/X5 Flashlight Set. The coupon code for the aluminum set is now public at BLF. You get two great compact throwers for $50 USD, plus shipping and insurance. (There is a free shipping option, too!) Don't tarry. This one will probably sell out very soon. There were only 400 sets produced.

Both flashlights in the set use the Cree XP-L HI emitter. One tester reported measuring 50,000 candela from his BLF Kronos X6. Note the X6 is somewhat smaller than a C8, so that's pretty good throw. The X6 host is a clone of the EagleEye X6 host.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the BLF Limited Edition Kronos X6/X5 Flashlight Set. The coupon code for the aluminum set is now public at BLF. You get two great compact throwers for $50 USD, plus shipping and insurance. (There is a free shipping option, too!) Don't tarry. This one will probably sell out very soon. There were only 400 sets produced.

Both flashlights in the set use the Cree XP-L HI emitter. One tester reported measuring 50,000 candela from his BLF Kronos X6. Note the X6 is somewhat smaller than a C8, so that's pretty good throw. The X6 host is a clone of the EagleEye X6 host.

Thank you for the info. I have the EagleEye X6 XP-L HI and i like it. I will look into it :)

rfl

Newly Enlightened
I'm extremely happy with the Convoy C8 hosts.

The subject of on-time memory has been mentioned in this thread. Mountain Electronics has started offering the guppydrv firmware as an option for the Convoy C8. The guppydrv firmware has fast off-time memory which works very well. It also offers a wide selection of mode groups including groups from 1 to 5 modes -- with and without blinking modes -- with and without memory -- high to low and low to high -- etc.

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=80&product_id=427

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
...One tester reported measuring 50,000 candela from his BLF Kronos X6. Note the X6 is somewhat smaller than a C8, so that's pretty good throw.

Only because the X6 driver pushes it like crazy right, and only for a short time? Brute force.

KowShak

Enlightened
No one likes the Thorfire then ?

I like the ThorFire C8s! ThorFire have a process of constant improvement, they listen to the reviews and improve their lights and the C8s is a good example of that. It has 4 modesHigh/Mid/Low/Moonlight which you move through in the usual way, but it also has a "hidden" strobe that you can get to from any mode with a quick double click, you don't have to cycle.

The finish was very matte anodising which makes it grippy in the hand, the reflector was deep and flawless, the threads were square cut and well greased. They've put an XM-L2 in it too, that's something else that helps differentiate it from the other C8 clones, that is the C8 clones that actually get genuine Cree LEDs, there are plenty of LatticeBright fakes about these days.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
When ThorFire makes a C8 with an XP-L HI V3. I'll definitely buy one.

KowShak

Enlightened
While they haven't put an XP-L in it yet... Thorfire changed the design of the tailcap on the C8 now. The button on the original tailcap was recessed but they've now cut a section out so you can get your thumb in more easily. They've also knurled the tailcap too. If there is such a thing as a "C8 Purist" they may not light the change in design but it serves a purpose and distinguishes the product from their competitors.

I know I'm describing this badly but a (oversized) picture may help...

vPcHmk1.jpg

freefly

Newly Enlightened
My vote would go to the XinTD. I picked up a couple from Hank @ IO and they are excellent. I like the threaded pill option, which the reflector threads into as well. The 105/Qlite driver is adequate @ 3+ amps (with plenty of room to stack chips), and gives you several UI options, which can be changed with a little conductive paint if/when needed. The emitters are all mounted on Noctigon DTP MCPCBs, and you also get an AR-coated lens, GITD head O-ring, and GITD tail-cap switch cover. I opted for the XP-L (V6 2C) and XM-L2 (U4 1C) versions and they definitely have some output. My only mistake was to de-dome the XP-L, as the tint shift turned out a bit too green for my liking. However, it throws pretty good now!