Calling all Quarks, Quark Lego Review (updated with Beamshots and OTF numbers)

pipspeak

Enlightened
Re: Calling all Quarks (well, almost)

great review and explanation... but I'm confused by some of the images on the 47 site that suggest tactical tailcaps on the non-turbo models now allow tailstanding.

I was thinking of getting a non-clip 123 tactical, for example, and the images on the site suggest it'll tailstand, but the tailcaps on my AA tactical (R2) is like the one pictured above and definitely will not tailstand. was the design changed at some point, or are the images on the 47 site a little deceiving?

edc3

Enlightened

Nope, the tacticals will not tailstand. As noted upthread you can either buy a regular (reverse clicky) tailcap or one of the turbo (forward clicky) tailcaps.

Edit: I don't see the Turbo tailcaps on the accessory page. Maybe they don't sell those separately?

RainerWahnsinn

Enlightened

Thanks for this quark encyclopedia. Wonderful photos and a clearly readable writing. I become soon 58, therefore that is very helpful.lovecpf

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Very nice! :twothumbs

Thank You for posting that.

rumack

Enlightened

Nice job ti-force! Great pics and you answered my question of whether the turbo heads would lego with the non-turbo bodies.

Quension

Newly Enlightened

I'm confused by some of the images on the 47 site that suggest tactical tailcaps on the non-turbo models now allow tailstanding.

They have a handful of stock images they keep reusing everywhere, so it's rather deceiving. The pages for both the Regular and Tactical 123 no-clip models show the exact same images, and only the one with the hand actually has a tactical tailcap on it.

I don't see the Turbo tailcaps on the accessory page. Maybe they don't sell those separately?

There's a separate Turbo Accessories section under the Quark Turbo category.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast

Edit: I don't see the Turbo tailcaps on the accessory page. Maybe they don't sell those separately?

As Quension mentioned, the Turbo accessories have their own section. Below is the link for anyone who's having trouble finding it.(is it okay to post links like this in a thread like this? Don't want to break any rules)

Click here for Quark Turbo accessories

Last edited:

RepProdigious

Enlightened

I have a 123² Regular and like the uniform look using the Turbo body. Is the 18650 body the same size as the Turbo?

The outside diameter on the 18650 body is exactly the same as the non-turbo heads/tails. I dont know how the 18650 body compares to any other bodies length-wise as i only have the 18650 and 1x123 but if you'd like i could take some measurements for you, just tell me what youd like to know.

Here's a pic on the 18650 on a normal tail so you can see the 'uniformity', please ignore the strange color combination..

img5718medium.jpg

I'd have to search on my computer for a picture on a completely assembled light as i currently dont have any Quark head (my Ti head is currently being shipped back to 4sevens due to some production flaws).

Telkwa

Newly Enlightened

I hope this won't be considered off-topic...
I'm new to this high-end LED flashlight stuff. Bought a coupla Quark AA R5's recently. The o-rings are translucent and too stretchy. I had problems immediately with them trying to roll out when installing batteries. Looked around town for a pure silicone grease but all I could find was an anti-oxidizing gel at Home Depot. This seemed to help some - the threads feel smoother and the o-rings behave a little better. But one of the 0-rings keeps trying to hemorrhoid out as I screw the cap down. I think it's probably stretched out now and will continue to give me trouble.

Do you guys have a source for an o-ring that's "tougher", less stretchy, and behaves better in the standard Quark groove?

don.gwapo

Enlightened

What can I say, :twothumbs .

Hurrah for all quarks users including me.

shark_za

Enlightened

I also noticed that in the pictures.
The AA^2 body is a lot thinner in the middle than the AA^2 Turbo one.

The Turbo one is a lot like the 18650.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hope this won't be considered off-topic...
I'm new to this high-end LED flashlight stuff. Bought a coupla Quark AA R5's recently. The o-rings are translucent and too stretchy. I had problems immediately with them trying to roll out when installing batteries. Looked around town for a pure silicone grease but all I could find was an anti-oxidizing gel at Home Depot. This seemed to help some - the threads feel smoother and the o-rings behave a little better. But one of the 0-rings keeps trying to hemorrhoid out as I screw the cap down. I think it's probably stretched out now and will continue to give me trouble.

Do you guys have a source for an o-ring that's "tougher", less stretchy, and behaves better in the standard Quark groove?

I don't know about another source, but you can buy the Quark boot kit (see picture above) and get two black o-rings. You could also contact 4sevens and see if they will sell you just the black o-rings.

edc3

Enlightened

But one of the 0-rings keeps trying to hemorrhoid out as I screw the cap down.

First of all, this is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time. :crackup:

And it perfectly describes the problem. I've had that problem too (on a flashlight).

Anyway, I'll bet that if you contact customer service and describe the problem they'll fix you up with some o-rings. Worth a try anyway.

RepProdigious

Enlightened

Just go to your local diy/hobby store and get one of those packs with various sizes o-rings and just stretch the smallest one that doesn't tear on the light.... The more you stretch a ring the smaller the thickness gets!

kito109654

Newly Enlightened

Am I missing something or are the turbo flat tailcaps no longer available?

Unclemonkey

Newly Enlightened
Re: Calling all Quarks (well, almost) Quark Lego Review

anyone know if the 18650 bodies work with the 123 turbo head???:thinking: