Calling all Quarks, Quark Lego Review (updated with Beamshots and OTF numbers)

Quension

Newly Enlightened
Re: Calling all Quarks, Quark Lego Review (updated with OTF numbers)

Does anybody have a definitive answer about a tactical tail cap on a regular quark? Does it work properly?

It works. Personally I'd find it annoying that when using momentary functionality, letting it turn off would mean I couldn't turn it back on immediately without accidentally changing modes, but aside from that it sounds usable.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Holly cow:eek:

Tons of data tons of pictures tons of hours:thumbsup:lovecpf:thumbsup:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast

Holly cow:eek:

Tons of data tons of pictures tons of hours:thumbsup:lovecpf:thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words BigC:D, and thanks for all of your help too; it's appreciated :twothumbs.

SharkyZiff

Newly Enlightened

Great job OP!!lovecpf

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice :thumbsup:

Great job and wonderful pictures.

Thanks

Sverre

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have some new readings of different modes to share with everyone. These results are from a Quark 123 XP-E R2 Regular UI. I took readings of all the modes because I was curious to know what the output is for each mode, and I figured some of you might be interested as well. I'll post them here for you to look at, but I've also updated the first post in this thread to show these results also. Here you go:

Oh yeah, thanks for the kind words NoFair.

Max:

Quark123RegularXP-ER2Max.png

High:

Quark123RegularXP-ER2High.png

Medium:

Quark123RegularXP-ER2Medium.png

Low:

Quark123RegularXP-ER2Low.png

Moonlight:

Quark123RegularXP-ER2Moonlight.png

Last edited:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast

I apologize to anyone who's been waiting for my readings with the low voltage Turbo head using different battery and body combinations. Before I started this thread I had a little mishap with my low voltage Turbo head. It's not a good idea to try taking beamshots with multiple lights and multiple batteries in the dark while consuming alcohol. I fried the emitter by accidentally installing two AW RCR123's in the 123-2 body with that head on it :oops:. Since I've taken quite a few of these heads apart, I thought I would find out if the driver was still good with a quick test using an emitter that I normally use for these types of tests.

The driver checked out good with 2- AA's in a AA-2 body so I assumed everything was fine. Anyway, I opened up my 123-2 XP-G R5 head, removed the emitter and installed it into my low voltage Turbo head. Again, a test run verified that everything worked excellent. It never dawned on me to check the function of the light with a single AA. I proceeded to start my testing and made the first run on high with an AW 17670 with good results. Then I installed the head on my AA body and installed an Energizer E2 Lithium primary and proceeded to start my testing. Well, when I clicked the light on I got nothing, so I inspected the light quickly to make sure a contact problem wasn't the issue. I also tried another tailcap to eliminate that as an issue, but nothing solved the problem.

I've came to the conclusion that the driver no longer operates with a 1.5v battery and since the driver is most likely damaged, I don't want to proceed with any testing with this driver because of the possibility of flawed results. What I mean is, if the driver is damaged I don't want to take the chance that this head could possibly read higher or lower with higher voltage batteries than it would have before the driver was damaged. I don't plan to purchase another low voltage Turbo head just to finish this review because this head still works fine with 2-AA batteries or 1-Li-ion. If someone has a low voltage head that they would like to send me so I can finish my testing I would gladly finish this and send the head back to you, but like I said I have no interest in purchasing another one.

Sorry about this guys.

Burgess

Flashaholic

to Ti-Force --

Wow, this is a Great Thread ! ! !

Thank you for all yer' Time and Effort !

:wow::goodjob::kewlpics::thanks:
_

DM51

Flashaholic

This is superb. You've clearly put a huge amount of time and effort into it, that the result is first-class. It is a beautifully-illustrated and very comprehensive review that members will find extremely valuable. Well done! :clap:

Moving to the Reviews section now.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is superb. You've clearly put a huge amount of time and effort into it, that the result is first-class. It is a beautifully-illustrated and very comprehensive review that members will find extremely valuable. Well done! :clap:

Moving to the Reviews section now.

Thanks for the move, and thanks for the complements. It's greatly appreciated.

forklift

Newly Enlightened

Very cool! You planning on some beamshots for these diff models?

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very cool! You planning on some beamshots for these diff models?

I'd like to, but it's been hard to do lately; it doesn't get dark enough here for beamshots until about 9:30 PM or so, and I'm just not as young as I used to be :D. I'll try to, but it may be after the time changes back. I do have a gif comparison of the Quark 123-2 XP-E R2 and 123-2 XP-G R5. I'll also compare these lights to a Fenix TK10 and TK11 so anyone who has either of those light can get an idea. Distance from light to Pine tree is 23ft:

xmuCeF.gif

ALuHKD.gif

YhmH5q.gif

3OmWNj.gif

Or91Tk.gif

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ti-force... just piling on to what everyone else has said... GREAT work than is extremely helpful and useful!

I'm a bit of a Quark fanatic myself and really love the legoing.... that's a major feature for me. Along with the clean beams and super low moonlight. Very nice lights.

I just received a special run XP-G R4 Neutral White 123x2 (I run all of my 123x2 Quarks with a single 17670 li-ion). And I'm finding that with the forward clicky tailcap, the light will not revert back to default at the next "turn-on". For example, I'll use momentary on MAX, then the next time I use momentary, it comes on strobe. Even if the time period in between is much longer than 3 seconds, like 10 sec or 30 sec. Normal operation does occur when used with the reverse clicky switch. Weird. I sent a note to 4Sevens about exchanging the head for another, but haven't heard back.

The XP-G R4 is sure a floody emitter... very nice, wide, clean general beam (and bright!) with only mildly noticible central emphasis. It almost looks like a P7 or MC-E in use. I like it except for distant targets.

Any input on tints with the XP-G R5? I've read some folks complaining about a greenish tinge and others saying they don't have that issue. (Of course if your illuminated target is a foliage laden exterior scene, it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to detect a greenish tinge on a greenish subject.) Do you think these different reports reflect a difference in their individual samples, a difference in the perspective/perception of the individual users, or perhaps some folks are evaluating using an exterior scene and just can't tell because of that?

Last edited:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ti-force... just piling on to what everyone else has said... GREAT work than is extremely helpful and useful!

I'm a bit of a Quark fanatic myself and really love the legoing.... that's a major feature for me. Along with the clean beams and super low moonlight. Very nice lights.

I just received a special run XP-G R4 Neutral White 123x2 (I run all of my 123x2 Quarks with a single 17670 li-ion). And I'm finding that much of the time, the light will not revert back to default at the next "turn-on". For example, I'll use momentary on MAX, then the next time I use momentary, it comes on strobe. Even if the time period in between is much longer than 3 seconds, like 10 sec or 30 sec. I sent a note to 4Sevens about exchanging the head for another, but haven't heard back.

The XP-G R4 is sure a floody emitter... very nice, wide, clean general beam (and bright!) with only mildly noticible central emphasis. It almost looks like a P7 or MC-E in use. I like it except for distant targets.

Any input on tints with the XP-G R5? I've read some folks complaining about a greenish tinge and others saying they don't have that issue. (Of course if your illuminated target is a foliage laden exterior scene, it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to detect a greenish tinge on a greenish subject.) Do you think these different reports reflect a difference in their individual samples, a difference in the perspective/perception of the individual users, or perhaps some folks are evaluating using an exterior scene and just can't tell because of that?

Thanks for the kind words; I appreciate that :).

You say you're having trouble with your Regular UI Quark. Are you using a tactical switch with this light? I've read about issues while using the Tactical (forwarding) switch with the Regular UI, and your problems sound very similar to the problems I've read about. If you're using a Tactical switch, have you tried this with the Regular (reverse clicky) switch to eliminate the Tactical switch as a problem?

If you're not using the Tactical switch, then I'd say you definitely have a problem, but if you have another Regular UI Quark, you could try the tailcap from that light on the NW Quark to see if the problem is in the switch of the NW Quark somehow.

The only other possible problem I can think of is this: I can loosen the head on my Quark to access the other mode(s), and if I don't loosen the head far enough, there is just enough play in the threads (where the head screws on to the body) that the body can make contact with the driver board again and it would be the same as twisting the head back tight, although I think you would notice this change when you turned the light on, but it's something to think about.

If you think this might be your problem, turn the light on and barely loosen the head until it switches to the other mode, then hold the light with one hand and pull the head back towards the light with the other hand and you should see what I'm talking about.

I have had this happen to me before when turning the light on one handed and it took me a minute to figure it out. This may not be your problem at all, but I thought I'd suggest it anyway.

On to the tint. Out of all the XP-G R5 Quarks I've purchased, only one of them had a green tint to it, and that light was purchased used from another member on the Marketplace. I'm not saying the user intentionally rid his green tinted light to me, and either way, it had a green tint when it was purchased new, but the odds might be greater of getting a green tint on the Marketplace if you know what I mean :D. Anyway, to answer your question, yes it really is green. I mean, it's not like a Quark RGB on green or anything, but it definitely has a noticeable green tint to it. It probably varies from emitter to emitter though at just how green the tint is. All my other Quark cool white XP-G's have an almost pure white hot spot.

I didn't like the tint of my 1 green tinted XP-G, so I actually removed it from the MCPCB and replaced it with a NW emitter that I purchased from Cutter, but most people either aren't willing to do open heart surgery on their Quark, or they don't have the tools or skills to do it, so not everyone has that option. I will say this though, my mistake was comparing that light against another cool white emitter on a white wall. That was the kiss of death haha.... For some reason that really makes the green tint stand out, and after that, you will notice it from then on.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast

ti-force.... The light was supplied with a reverse clicky tailcap and it is the use of a tactical tailcap that causes this problem. But that surprises me as I can use my tactical tailcaps with all of my other regular UI Quark heads and have everything work as expected, but not with this XP-G R4 123x2 head. Kind of bums me as I greatly prefer the combination of a tactical switch with a regular UI head and I have that on most of my other Quarks.

Nice to hear that the green tint is not to be expected on all XP-G R5 samples. I may venture out on the plank and order one of those. I presume 4Sevens will take a return for exchange if I should get one on the green side?

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast

Have you tried your other Tactical switches on the NW light? I know that sounds crazy, but you never know, the problem might be in the switch.

I really don't know if 4sevens would take the light back due to tint or not. I don't think they want a dissatisfied customer, but I can't say for sure.

jackthedog

Newly Enlightened

I just stumbled across this thread while looking into getting a Quark Turbo. This thread is great. Thank you for your work on this and the Maelstrom.

Great photos too.

Last edited: