can anyone ID these cibies?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Those are Oscar+ yellow fog lamp replacement lens-reflector units. The Oscar+, known by at least one American distributor as "Series 190", is/was a very good line of 180mm (overall diameter) round auxiliary lamps using H2 bulbs. Fog, driving, spot; white or yellow light; chrome or black or grey housing. Most varieties of them are out of production but some of them can still be had, if I'm not mistaken.

old_

Newly Enlightened
Those are Oscar+ yellow fog lamp replacement lens-reflector units. The Oscar+, known by at least one American distributor as "Series 190", is/was a very good line of 180mm (overall diameter) round auxiliary lamps using H2 bulbs. Fog, driving, spot; white or yellow light; chrome or black or grey housing. Most varieties of them are out of production but some of them can still be had, if I'm not mistaken.

so those particular bulbs would produce a fog pattern?
thanks for the info!

irsa76

Newly Enlightened
Yes those lens/reflectors will produce a fog pattern since they are specific foglights for the Cibie Oscar+ body, can't recall if the Oscar + was simply a shallow body version of the Oscar or a overall smaller light.
I have been told there was a mounting bucket available to allow fitment of the CIbie Oscar lens/reflector units into 5 3/4" headlight buckets however I've personally never seen a genuine one, have seen some rather "interesting" adaptions however!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
can't recall if the Oscar + was simply a shallow body version of the Oscar or a overall smaller light.

Same diameter as the Oscar, shallower. No interchangeability of lens-reflector units between Oscar and Oscar+. Also Oscar+ uses H2, Oscar uses H1.

I have been told there was a mounting bucket available to allow fitment of the CIbie Oscar lens/reflector units into 5 3/4" headlight buckets

Not as such. The Oscar+ and Oscar lens-reflector units are larger than a standard 5 3/4" headlamp. However, there have been mounting rings for non-housed mounting of Oscar lens-reflectors. One such installation is on display at the Henry Ford Museum in Michigan: the 1972 Lincoln Continental Presidential limousine is equipped with Oscar H4 ECE high/low beam headlamps. Which is kind of ironic and sort of funny (and sort of not) when you think about it.

DenCon

Newly Enlightened
These Oscars are foggies - custom size to fit in special buckets (like in older Benzs).
Bulbs, as such, do not influence beam patterns. That is the job of reflector shape and lens shape (fluting, etc).

old_

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if they would fit in a par 56 (7") bucket? According to the auction listing they are 180mm in diameter. I see a couple of alignment bumps on the edge of the lens, it would be easy enough to notch a metal bucket to clear them.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if they would fit in a par 56 (7") bucket?
Yes, you wonder if they would fit.

According to the auction listing they are 180mm in diameter. I see a couple of alignment bumps on the edge of the lens, it would be easy enough to notch a metal bucket to clear them.
To do what? To install where a 7" headlamp would usually go?

The ECE (European E-Code) versions are marked B (front fog) or HR (high beam halogen); the SAE versions (US and Canada) are marked F (front fog) or Y (auxiliary high beam). I'm guessing it'd take some work to get them to fit where 7" sealed beam headlamps would go, to prevent such a misinstallation.

old_

Newly Enlightened
Yes, you wonder if they would fit.

To do what? To install where a 7" headlamp would usually go?

The ECE (European E-Code) versions are marked B (front fog) or HR (high beam halogen); the SAE versions (US and Canada) are marked F (front fog) or Y (auxiliary high beam). I'm guessing it'd take some work to get them to fit where 7" sealed beam headlamps would go, to prevent such a misinstallation.

No. I am wondering if they would fit in a par 56 headlight bucket. Like this:

91101008_L.jpg

Last edited:

irsa76

Newly Enlightened
Why would you? Just as easy to grab some Oscar+ bodies and fit the reflector/lens into them. I know at least 2 people with a couple of spare cibie Oscar and Oscar+ shells in their garages.

JeeperJake

Newly Enlightened
decades ago I had a 1958 Mercedes 220S with stock bumper mount clear glass fog lights. Delightful to use. Wasn't clever enough to get the bulb ID.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Also decades ago, I bought Cibie Oscar+ (Series 190) clear driving lights. Using the Saab mounting brackets, I was able to install them above the bumper of my 1978 Saab 99 Turbo, just barely leaving room for the odd front hinged Saab hood to work properly. I still have the lights, though the car is long gone. I used them on a pickup for a while, and eventually intend to put them on a Jeep. Their fairly wide driving beam complimented the narrow long range beam of my Cibie curved lens H1 high beams when on the Saab. I like the lights. They are not all that deep front to back, yet they perform well.

It's a good thing I only noticed this thread now, after the auction closed. I'd have been tempted to bid - and I need yet another set of Cibie lens/reflectors like I need another hole in the head....

old_

Newly Enlightened
Also decades ago, I bought Cibie Oscar+ (Series 190) clear driving lights. Using the Saab mounting brackets, I was able to install them above the bumper of my 1978 Saab 99 Turbo, just barely leaving room for the odd front hinged Saab hood to work properly. I still have the lights, though the car is long gone. I used them on a pickup for a while, and eventually intend to put them on a Jeep. Their fairly wide driving beam complimented the narrow long range beam of my Cibie curved lens H1 high beams when on the Saab. I like the lights. They are not all that deep front to back, yet they perform well.

It's a good thing I only noticed this thread now, after the auction closed. I'd have been tempted to bid - and I need yet another set of Cibie lens/reflectors like I need another hole in the head....

the same seller has several of them still listed on ebay. I'm sure you could get a pair for $25 + shipping.