Can I charge my 18650 batteries with solar (off-grid in Africa from Jan to May)?

monk

Newly Enlightened
I'll be cycling in Africa next January until May and will be off-grid most of the time. Trying to find out how to power my Zebralight 18650 (and AA) lights from solar power - or to find out if this is even possible/practical.

I see solar charges that can charge battery packs, for charging electronics like iPhones and iPads. And these portable battery packs seem to have 18650 batteries inside (?).

Yet, I don't see much a means of charging just the 18650 batteries. I could charge an Anker 18650 base battery pack from solar, but could't put this battery pack into my single cell Zebralight flashlight. If 18650 batteries in a battery pack can be solar charged,...seems that just the batteries could be charged too?

Anyone know what 18650 battery charger would work from solar power?

I'm thinking of a 21w Anker solar charger with USB output https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012YUJJM8/?tag=cpf0b6-20 . Would just plugging this into a USB based 18650 battery charger work? Or do such chargers require a more stable and consistent power supply (i.e., if clouds made the charge droop, it would confound the charger?)

Any ideas are appreciated... :)

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just looking at the Anker PowerPort 21w panel an hour ago. I have a 14w Sunkingdom for emergencies, but the Anker would be what I would get next.

Get that and a couple of Xtar MC1+ or MC1 ANT plus chargers and be done with it, if you don't want to buy a power bank. They charge up at 1A, so your 18650s won't take as long as say a 4x18650 power bank (Tomo V8-4 has easily removed cells.)

There are other chargers out there, but those two are light, charge up fast and don't cost much money.

For $80-$90 shipped, you'd be all set and could charge up two cells at once. You'd have a spare charger if one crapped out on you.

Remember 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

Chris

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I don't think USB 18650 chargers are bothered by power fluctuations as much as nimh are as they go mainly by voltage alone not detecting a rise in voltage. There are battery chargers that also operate as power banks that you can remove the batteries from one of which holds 4 batteries and can charge 1-4 of them at the same time. I have a single cell charger that operates off 5vdc power input or micro usb 5v and charges lithium ion and nimh made by opus.
I think cottonpicker still sells solar setups with chargers and stuff you could search for his thread and I'm sure there are other threads about solar power use in the forum. 21 watts should be more than enough to charge an 18650 as you only need 500ma at 5v to many usb chargers or 2.5W so you have almost 10 times the power needed you should be able to crank it up to 1A or even 1.3A.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I was just looking at the Anker PowerPort 21w panel an hour ago. I have a 14w Sunkingdom for emergencies, but the Anker would be what I would get next.

Get that and a couple of Xtar MC1+ or MC1 ANT plus chargers and be done with it, if you don't want to buy a power bank. They charge up at 1A, so your 18650s won't take as long as say a 4x18650 power bank (Tomo V8-4 has easily removed cells.)

There are other chargers out there, but those two are light, charge up fast and don't cost much money.

For $80-$90 shipped, you'd be all set and could charge up two cells at once. You'd have a spare charger if one crapped out on you.

Remember 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

Chris
I would say he needs a splitter so he can make use of all of the energy the panel has to offer at 21W that is enough to charge 4 batteries at once at 1A current so he could have several power banks charging at once depending on the max charge rate a charger with adjustable rate is a plus as you can add on these after your other chargers to make up the excess.

monk

Newly Enlightened
All very helpful, thank you.

I'm encouraged to hear that there are solutions that will work and that seem relatively simple. Think I'll order the Anker 21w panel and an Xtar MC1+ to experiment with. And then possibly add a multi-bay USB 18650 charger too, after I learn a little from using the smaller set up.

I know the solar panel would be a lot for just a 18650 or 2. The panel will also charge other items though,...an iPad, iPhone, a battery bank, Garmin 520 bike computer, possibly an AA battery charger too.

If a USB based 18650 charger can be fed from the Anker 21w solar panel, then I will be good to go, I think. I'll be very happy if it all works as simply as this.

monk

Newly Enlightened
Yes, a splitter sounds like it would be a very useful addition too (didn't know that it existed for these devices). I looked at the Anker 21w solar panel and it has 2 USB outputs. It would be nice to split one or both of those to charge multiple items from time to time. (thinking of an 18650 battery, my Garmin 520 computer, USB flashing red tail light, and iPhone or iPad).
7172Z%2BriWUL._SL1000_.jpg

Kalpn

Newly Enlightened
I have tested with Nitecore F1 and it is possible to charge 18650 directly with a solar panel.

Kalpn

Newly Enlightened
It would be best to find a powerbank that allows you to charge even if it is cloudy.

iphone and ipad are very particular about the supply of power and can only be charged during very sunny period like noon.

A powerbank would solve this issue.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say he needs a splitter so he can make use of all of the energy the panel has to offer at 21W that is enough to charge 4 batteries at once at 1A current so he could have several power banks charging at once depending on the max charge rate a charger with adjustable rate is a plus as you can add on these after your other chargers to make up the excess.

You're only going to get so much juice out of 21w panels. 3A total, I think Anker states, or ~2.5A out of either, or, of the slots. You can use both slots at once, but you're not going to split 2 into 4 and still get 1A each.

Say he has the Tomo V8-4 and uses it as a combo power bank and cell charger. The question then becomes, which charges up 4 cells the fastest? The Tomo going slower, but doing 4 cells, or two MC1+ chargers doing a legitimate 1A? Plus, like other Xtar USB chargers like my VC4, the MC1+/ANT doesn't seem to be too finicky about having a solid supply of 2.1+A to the charger.

I don't know the answer, but I'd probably bet on the Xtar combo. Another issue, is weight and while the Tomo is light compared to my Ruinovo, or even my Xiaomi Mi 3 cell PB, at what point does weight start becoming a factor, trekking across the African continent?

Just food for thought.

Chris

monk

Newly Enlightened
So, I could get something like this power bank: [h=1]Portable Charger RAVPower 22000mAh 5.8A Output 3-Port Power Bank External Battery Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G1XH46M/?tag=cpf0b6-20[/h]
Then I'd charge this RAVPower Power Bank Battery Pack with the Anker 21w solar panel and subsequently use the charge battery pack to supply a stable charge to an iPad and iPhone. And would have the option to directly charge USB 18650 charger or my Garmin or my USB taillight from the solar panel sometimes (or could also charge these items from the battery pack).

(thanks too Kalpn for the feedback on the Nitecore F1 working from the solar panel, that's helpful to know)

711gKSq7mvL._SL1000_.jpg

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just remember that charging up a 50% charged 22,000mAh power bank via a solar charger is going to take a lot of sun hours and it's going to be heavy to lug around and you're not going to be able to use those cells in your flashlight. Hence my suggestion to get a power bank like the Tomo, which allows you to remove the cells. They're now dual use tools and serve more than one purpose. Even carrying a spare quad of 18650s would be something important to consider.

Two is one and one is none.

Chris

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
So, I could get something like this power bank: [h=1]Portable Charger RAVPower 22000mAh 5.8A Output 3-Port Power Bank External Battery Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G1XH46M/?tag=cpf0b6-20[/h]
Then I'd charge this RAVPower Power Bank Battery Pack with the Anker 21w solar panel and subsequently use the charge battery pack to supply a stable charge to an iPad and iPhone. And would have the option to directly charge USB 18650 charger or my Garmin or my USB taillight from the solar panel sometimes (or could also charge these items from the battery pack).

(thanks too Kalpn for the feedback on the Nitecore F1 working from the solar panel, that's helpful to know)

711gKSq7mvL._SL1000_.jpg
The only drawback with this is that you can't use the battery in it for anything else but a power bank (not removable) while chargers that can be used as power banks you can charge up the batteries fully and remove them when needed for use in devices. this means if you need 3 or 4 18650 batteries in a day (or night) you would have to carry that amount AND this charger or charge some while traveling and a few less while a power bank that uses 18650 removable batteries when the batteries are needed you just remove them and put others in to charge.

EDIT: looks like CG thought the same thing and beat me to posting it while I was half way through and taking out the trash :p
I would like to add that power banks with permanent cells in them (not 18650) do over time wear out and then either you have to find the same sized odd battery packs to replace them (with welding or soldering) or the power bank is rendered useless.

Last edited:

monk

Newly Enlightened
Another issue, is weight and while the Tomo is light compared to my Ruinovo, or even my Xiaomi Mi 3 cell PB, at what point does weight start becoming a factor, trekking across the African continent?

Chris
We'll have support in terms of a vehicle carrying tents and sleeping bags and electronics. The actual cycling will not be loaded with gear and so while weight is important, its not hyper critical. In other words, any solar panel, battery bank and battery charger that I brought could be carried by the support vehicle during the cycling day.

There are a lot of details to get sorted for the trip and each area is its own sometimes complex set of possibilities and so I greatly appreciate the shared experience and expertise (and even just knowing what's worked for you, though you might not be expert in the field - its all useful for me to hear)

monk

Newly Enlightened
The only drawback with this is that you can't use the battery in it for anything else but a power bank (not removable) while chargers that can be used as power banks you can charge up the batteries fully and remove them when needed for use in devices. this means if you need 3 or 4 18650 batteries in a day (or night) you would have to carry that amount AND this charger or charge some while traveling and a few less while a power bank that uses 18650 removable batteries when the batteries are needed you just remove them and put others in to charge.

OK, yes, I see. So there's nice advantages if find a charger that uses removable batteries. Use it as a bank and if get stuck and need the 18650 batteries, could take and use them (and couldn't with the battery bank).

monk

Newly Enlightened
Just remember that charging up a 50% charged 22,000mAh power bank via a solar charger is going to take a lot of sun hours and it's going to be heavy to lug around and you're not going to be able to use those cells in your flashlight. Hence my suggestion to get a power bank like the Tomo, which allows you to remove the cells. They're now dual use tools and serve more than one purpose. Even carrying a spare quad of 18650s would be something important to consider.

Two is one and one is none.

Chris

OK,...looked up the Tomo V8-4 and it does look like a very useful device for what I've outlined. Am thinking should order some of these items and get some experience with them. The Tomo seems a good candidate for such experiments...

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, yes, I see. So there's nice advantages if find a charger that uses removable batteries. Use it as a bank and if get stuck and need the 18650 batteries, could take and use them (and couldn't with the battery bank).

Not saying that it's the best PB out there, but I just bought the V8 from Tomo and have used it with my various chargers for a week and it seems fine. It's plastic, but it's got a nice display that is helpful at times.

http://www.tomopowerbank.com/shop/tomo-power-bank-v8-4/

The problem is is that its charging input is rated at 1A, covering 4 cells, so you can see where time might be a factor if you've depleted it down a bit. Charge the cells up at 1A on two small USB chargers and just keep them in the Tomo for charging up your phone, tablet, USB flashlight, or GPS unit.

Since you have support vehicles, that's probably how I would play it: Anker PowerPort 21w USB solar charger, two MC1+/ANT chargers, a Tomo (or two) V8 and two quads of high cap 18650s.

You're probably looking at 1.5# for the Anker, 6oz. for the empty Tomo with cable, 13oz. for two quads of cells and 4oz. for two MC1+ chargers and cables. All under 3# and your bases are covered IMO.

Lots of variations on this theme, so the sky's the limit.

Chris

Last edited:

monk

Newly Enlightened
I like this suggested collection of items. And I understand that its just one suggested way to go and that every choice isn't necessarily the best - its looks like a very good place to start (certainly far ahead of where I was a few hours ago before I asked :)

The amount of redundancy built into such a collection is nice. It some things failed, I'd have other options to stay functional.

Working through the particulars of these issues is fun and interesting,...but also makes me look forward to an interval workout on the bike where there's not enough oxygen to think properly...:)
Not saying that it's the best PB out there, but I just bought the V8 from Tomo and have used it with my various chargers for a week and it seems fine. It's plastic, but it's got a nice display that is helpful at times.

The problem is is that it's charging input is rated at 1A, covering 4 cells, so you can see where time might be a factor if you've depleted it down a bit. Charge the cells up at 1A on two small USB chargers and just keep them in the Tomo for charging up your phone, tablet, USB flashlight, or GPS unit.

Since you have support vehicles, that's probably how I would play it: Anker PowerPort 21w USB solar charger, two MC1+/ANT chargers, a Tomo (or two) V8 and two quads of high cap 18650s.

You're probably looking at 1.5# for the Anker, 6oz. for the empty Tomo with cable, 13oz. for two quads of cells and 4oz. for two MC1+ chargers and cables. All under 3# and your bases are covered IMO.

Chris

1DaveN

Enlightened
If you're going to have a vehicle, you could also grab one of the Anker chargers that plug into the power port. I got the better of the two they offered about 6 months ago (it was something like an extra $1) and I've been very happy with it for charging a variety of devices.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

The problem is is that its charging input is rated at 1A, covering 4 cells, so you can see where time might be a factor if you've depleted it down a bit. Charge the cells up at 1A on two small USB chargers and just keep them in the Tomo for charging up your phone, tablet, USB flashlight, or GPS unit.

Chris
I think the idea is to have charger capacity enough to absorb the output of the solar cell. You could have the tomo to both charge (slowly) and also as a power bank when all 4 cells are charged and have a smaller 1 or 2 cell charger that offers decent charge rates. I have a 1 cell opus that has output ranges of 200 to 1600ma for lithium ion and up to 2A for nimh batteries and also works as a power bank with up to 2A output so in a pinch you could dial it down to use low current to charge batteries while charging a phone and the 4 cell Tomo at 1A. I think one needs to really know how many Amps your solar cell can support at max output and at nominal mid day output and figure out how much of a power drain to attach to it. I don't think you are going to find a usb input power bank with more than 2A input capability so in order to accomplish that feat you will need several usb chargers.

monk

Newly Enlightened
Yes, having this option to plug into the 12v power of a vehicle would be a good option to plan for. Some opportunities probably will arise and I'd kick myself if I did't have the needed cables to get a charge. Unfortunately I don't expect that I'd have much access to the power plugs on out actual support vehicle though. There's not a huge number of riders, but I expect its too many to be able to share the vehicle power. And without enough to share with everyone, I'm thinking they'll keep everyone away,...except support staff, like the cook, bike mechanic or the truck driver.

If you're going to have a vehicle, you could also grab one of the Anker chargers that plug into the power port. I got the better of the two they offered about 6 months ago (it was something like an extra $1) and I've been very happy with it for charging a variety of devices.