Can I convert 3C XML flashlight to 3 18500 XHP35 or XHP50 ?

Poppy

Flashaholic
I have one of those 3C Defiant Super throwers, with the big deep reflector, running an XML emitter.
I'm wondering... can I just swap out the XML emitter with a XHP35 or XHP50 and run it direct drive on 3* 18500 cells?

If so... what would be the advantage of one XHP over the other?

Last edited:

TexLite

Enlightened
I have one of those 3C Defiant Super throwers, with the big deep reflector, running an XML emitter.
I'm wondering... can I just swap out the XML emitter with a XHP35 or XHP50 and run it direct drive on 3* 18500 cells?

If so... what would be the advantage of one XHP over the other?

Yes and no.

Can you convert it? Yes. It is actually a very good host. Large heatsink, it has multiple joints which afford access to all the components, heatsink, reflector, lens, driver, switch etc. The large, deep reflector also throws well.

Can you direct drive any of the above mentioned LEDs? No. XHP35 is a 12v emitter. XHP50 and XHP70 are available in 6V and 12V configurations, none of which will work DD with 3 cells. The 6V emitters would instaflash, and the 12V versions would have to high of a Vf to work DD. What you can do is run 2 26650 and use an appropriate driver.

The XHP70 will have the highest output, widest hotspot, and most likely have a crossed shadow in the center of the beam. It bothers some people, others have said it's not too noticeable. I haven't run run with that reflector so I can't say how noticeable it would be. An XHP50 would be in the middle of the 3 as far as output, as well as hotspot size. The XHP35 would have the tightest hotspot, and the least bright comparatively. Still close to 2000 lumens run at stock configuration, so not dim, just not as bright as the other two. I'd go with the XHP35 if it were me, second choice would be the XHP50.

-Michael

Poppy

Flashaholic
Michael,
Thank you so much for the reply.

I was thinking that 3 x 4.2 volts 18500s is 12.6 volts.

I just checked the data sheets for the three emitters, and the MAX voltage for each is as follows:
XHP35 11.9 volts
XHP50 12.6 volts
XHP70 12.4 volts

would I be able to just go DD or do I need a driver?

If I need a driver, for three cells what would you recommend?

OR... like you suggested above, which driver for two cells?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would lean towards 2 cells and a driver. I don't have any recommendations for a driver but if you run at 6v on the LED and find a decent 6v buck driver I think it will be more efficient than trying to boost to 12v and use a 12v boost driver.

TexLite

Enlightened
You're welcome.

You'd still need a driver, you'd have less than the 1V overhead typically needed for drivers to function properly, especially considering the voltage sag of the cells.

Give me some time to get one of my 3C Defiants found and I'll get some measurements. One critical measurement is the battery tube, I'm not sure what batteries will fit. Might fit 2 26650 (concerned about width) or 3 26500 (doubtful, length). Mountainelectronics has some drivers that should work, but I also need to see what size the driver cavity is be sure.

Mountain, Cutter and Illumn are good places to order LEDs, drivers and cells.

-Michael

Poppy

Flashaholic
3 C cells are 150mm long, so in the least two 65mm cells will fit with a little 20mm spacer

I have a Manker U21 coming in the mail, so modding this Defiant is just so that it doesn't sit on the shelf as another wasted light.

Poppy

Flashaholic
You could use this driver, http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_115&product_id=554, and four 18350s with a 10mm spacer powering an xhp35.
Thanks
light-modder,
This light was dropped and then had about 20 pounds land on it. As a result the threads on one end are a little skewed, so I don't want to put much into a $20 light that might fail on me. the mod could cost more than the light is worth.

TexLite,
A 26650 came in today's mail... it is too fat. It won't fit in the 3C defiant's tube.

odeprooutdoor

Newly Enlightened
20 pounds?!! It's a big guy!! I wonder it dropped to use which battery and LED.
For me, I may think drop to use a 3-8.5V driver, 3A, powered by 2X26650 batteries, and replace a longer spring.