Can you guys explain C8 flashlights to me?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
so is C8 like a non-Surefire version of P60? I know they're different dimensions, however, I'm asking if C8 is a standardized system that's been adopted.

What all dimensions does it need/use?

how2

Enlightened
C8 is larger than P60 the pill screws into the head of the light and has better heat transfer. You can get a c8 xml light for less than $10. The head is 45mm and the length is 150mm. Most light parts are interchangeable. You can get non-Surefire version of the P60 and they can be less than $10. This is a very cheap light and just as good as Surefire.

Blitzwing

Enlightened
There's nothing standardised about the many C8's on the market except they roughly look much the same and are similar size. Yes, the pill screws in, but among various makers there are all kinds of sizes of pills being used. So one from say a Convoy C8 might not fit an Ultrafire, etc. Some use aluminium, some brass. And threads and pill depth may differ slightly between makers. It's nowhere near as versatile as a P60 setup if you want to change innards, nor is there any guarantee that pills from various makers will fit all hosts, whereas with P60 hosts most dropins fit mosts hosts with a few exceptions.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
There's nothing standardised about the many C8's on the market except they roughly look much the same and are similar size. Yes, the pill screws in, but among various makers there are all kinds of sizes of pills being used. So one from say a Convoy C8 might not fit an Ultrafire, etc. Some use aluminium, some brass. And threads and pill depth may differ slightly between makers. It's nowhere near as versatile as a P60 setup if you want to change innards, nor is there any guarantee that pills from various makers will fit all hosts, whereas with P60 hosts most dropins fit mosts hosts with a few exceptions.

The aspect that causes the most problems seems to be the amount of thread overlap...so that the threaded sections are too short to have the leverage needed for adequate strength. Some of these lights, when tested via recoil, literally fell apart.

:D

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
O'really that has to be the boldest and most misinformed quote of all time :shakehead

Norm

LMAO, When I read that, I was like, wow.

I have tons of C8's great starter light for someone learning to mod and the basics. Tons and tons of options. But keep in mind no all C8's are created equal. There are clones to the clones of a clone. Example, you can order 5 from one vendor and all can be slightly different on some way. Personally, I like the Convoy models. If you get a "real" one, it is a great platform. I buy them with the intention of doing mods. None of mine are stock.

Disclaimer: When I am done with the mods, they MAY be equal to or better than a Surefire in SOME aspects. But by no means is the build quality the same. I could go on. But I degrees.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I have well over 100 lights and yes they all work and that's the point.
Just because you push a button on one end and light comes out the other end, does not mean all flashlights are created equal.

Just swapped my Cayenne four wheel drive for a Lada, what a deal, they both get me from point A to B.

No difference in quality that I can notice.

Norm

Last edited:

m4a1usr

Enlightened
LMAO, When I read that, I was like, wow.

I have tons of C8's great starter light for someone learning to mod and the basics. Tons and tons of options. But keep in mind no all C8's are created equal. There are clones to the clones of a clone. Example, you can order 5 from one vendor and all can be slightly different on some way. Personally, I like the Convoy models. If you get a "real" one, it is a great platform. I buy them with the intention of doing mods. None of mine are stock.

Disclaimer: When I am done with the mods, they MAY be equal to or better than a Surefire in SOME aspects. But by no means is the build quality the same. I could go on. But I degrees.

That's about as concise a comment about that style light I have read. Accurate and spot on. Myself I have purchased 5 of them over the years and they are a mixed bag to say the least. Only 2 of them in my batch have the same size/shape reflector. My favorite is an Ultra Fire marked one. The reflector is smooth with the exception of the bottom section closest to the LED where it becomes textured. The result is an absolutely tiny intense hot spot. Definately the better of all 5.

As for modding they are great little lesson teachers. The 5 mode drivers can be made into a single mode high level only by just removing the large cap on the driver board. And they put out some power. Not huge but 3 amps on the ones I have done. And thats measured at the LED. Another nice feature is you can pry off the 20mm MCPCB and swap emitters in like 3 minutes. Crazy easy. I did a dedomed XML2 in one and its pretty respectable. All that said they will always be a $10 light. The machining is acceptable but not great. All of mine are painted and not HA. And tailcaps are different on 3 of them. They are what they are.